Shoutbox

Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ (/showthread.php?tid=9824)

Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Patchou on 05-05-2003 at 07:23 AM

Hello,

first I have to apologize to everyone... a very bad bug was introduced in Messenger Plus! 2.10.0034 released two days ago and this caused problems to a lot of you. If you know anyone who installed 2.10.0034, please tell them to downgrade to 2.10.0032 (you can download it at www.msgplus.net, the file on my server has been replaced).

Now I need your assistance. As I can't reproduce the problem, I can't say it's fixed before you say so. This message is for everyone who's computer froze after installing Plus! 2.10.34. I really need your help asap as an official patch MUST be brought to public no later than today (monday).

I've compiled two new versions, here are your instructions, it will only take a couple of minutes to do everything:

Test 1

• Download test version 2.10.341 at http://pages.infinit.net/patchou8/MP20341.zip
  • Install the new version
  • Launch Messenger and check if it works as it's supposed to or if it freezes like before
  • Double check in the about box if this is really version 2.10.341 that is running

Test 2
  • Download test version 2.10.342 at http://pages.infinit.net/patchou8/MP20342.zip
  • Install the new version
  • Launch Messenger and check if it works as it's supposed to or if it freezes like before
  • Double check in the about box if this is really version 2.10.342 that is running

Then, post your results as reply to this thread (don't forget to confirm that you were experiencing freeze problems with the old version). If your computer still freezes after trying both versions, here is what you can do that will help me solve the problem asap: compress the file "C:\MessengerPlus Dump.txt" in a zip file and attach it to your post.

I'll wait for your news... with some luck, some of you will reply before I go to sleep. Again, sorry about this, be sure that I'm doing my best to correct my mistakes.

Patchou
RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Starr on 05-05-2003 at 07:56 AM

Wow Patchou you sure are fast

I just did test 1 (version 2.10.341) - it's working great. No freeze no nothing. It still didn't load on startup but the repair box was displayed, so that's good.

Off to play with test 2 now.

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Itanium on 05-05-2003 at 08:04 AM

With reference to thread  http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=9740

I have tried the both builds and both are crashing for me, am attaching the dump here. you didnt pay much attention to that thread though :p

(In the dump, I have separated the build's area with my own comment)

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Starr on 05-05-2003 at 08:08 AM

I've tried both now and both and working great for me.

Windows ME
MSN Messenger 5.0.0544

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by StOrM121 on 05-05-2003 at 08:35 AM

Ive tried the first one, and it didnt freeze on startup but didnt load at all and the window asking me 2 restart messenger did not come up either

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Patchou on 05-05-2003 at 08:39 AM

StOrM121: was it working good with version 2.10.32? although, was Plus! working correctly after the setup, before you reboot?

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by timmie on 05-05-2003 at 08:48 AM

i have version 2.10.34 with msn messenger 5.0.5044 and XP and it doesn't freeze at all ;)

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by StOrM121 on 05-05-2003 at 09:07 AM

Patchou: No it was'nt working with the original .32 version as it froze, it did work before the reboot and i have rebooted twice more since the last message, and this time it has loaded up correctly, should i still try patch 2?

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by StOrM121 on 05-05-2003 at 09:56 AM

ok update: i restarted again and it jammed so i removed it and now im going to try the seccond update when i get back

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by iLLeSt on 05-05-2003 at 10:34 AM

Oh man .. my PC is real messed up! Grrr

I tried Test 1 .. downloading 2.10.341 and my PC froze! So i uninstalled it.

I tried Test 2 .. downloading 2.10.342 .. it installed ok .. then i installed the new patch .. and PC froze again! So same thing .. i uninstalled it.

And yes i double checked the versions in the About of Msg Plus after i installed both Test .. I installed Test 1 and checked and also done that for Test 2 and the version i installed were correct.

Heres my text thingy .. I kinda checked it .. maybe cause I have another patch installed or something .. I have the Multi MSN patch .. and banner removed .. I saw the "Couldn't find banner" something like that .. but yeah here it is ..

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by WDZ on 05-05-2003 at 12:46 PM

Test 1: When the installer tried to load Messenger, Windows froze... same as with 2.10.34. I would attach the dump file, but it's empty. :-/

Test 2: Downloading... (O) :P

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Destroyer on 05-05-2003 at 12:47 PM

Hi all! I'm the one who continued the thread by Illest. (Well, that isn't important, but don't flame me becoz of this, ah what the heck...) Okay, So, which is the one that is working? 2.10.341 or 2.10.342? And, what is that dump thing and banner stuff you guys are talkin' bout? I am confused....

If you can enlighten me about this things, please reply. Thanks A LOT~

(Desperado Destroyer)

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by si3rra on 05-05-2003 at 12:51 PM

hmmm .. on my winme (4.90.3000) Plus works fine.. running messenger.. (5.0.0544).. my fathers comp.. same config.. runs great.. my brothers (winme).. hangs after installing.. looking forward to test the new versions l8er tonight.. will post as soon as posible..

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Destroyer on 05-05-2003 at 12:53 PM

Hey, the dump thing is empty except for a .txt file. what is it for anyway. Sorry if i'm flooding the thread.

Plus, I tested Test 1, it works fine. I expect i don't need to do test 2, or must i?

Absorb like Rogue, Freeze like Bobby Drake aka Ice man, Burn like Pyro, Scratch like Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike, Move like Nightcrawler, Read minds like Jean Grey and Professor X, See like cyclops, And last of all....

ANNA PAQUIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!

(Lame.)

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Jimbolino on 05-05-2003 at 01:15 PM

if 2.10.34 is working fine, you don't need to try the test versions?

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Taxi on 05-05-2003 at 01:23 PM

How unfortunate this program closely resembles an official msn program.  I know several people that installed your add on and have had many problems.  Not only does my computer now freeze but I cannot uninstall messenger plus.  I contacted MSN this morning, believing it was an MSN program and much to my surprise, it is not.  This was my first and last experience with your inadequate and misrepresented copycat work.  I would greatly appreciate it someone could email me information regarding how to uninstall this dung add on.

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by WDZ on 05-05-2003 at 01:28 PM

Jimbolino: No.

Test 2: It works! :banana:

2.10.342 installed fine... not having any problems with it... (Y)
RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by WDZ on 05-05-2003 at 01:34 PM

Taxi: How can Messenger Plus! be a "copycat" if it's not even a Messenger client? All it does is add new features to Microsoft's official program. If you would have read the website (www.msgplus.net) carefully, you would have seen this...

quote:
This site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Leif on 05-05-2003 at 01:51 PM

My old laptop froze when I tried the patch.
Results of new patches (341 and 342):
Both versions installed OK!

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Taxi on 05-05-2003 at 02:10 PM

WDZ, well, like the many I know who found plus yesterday, we all believed plus was MSN software.  The msgplus.net site looks like an MSN site, the butterfly closely resmebles the MSN official butterfly and the name "messenger plus", to many of us 'casual' users, lead us to believe it was official MSN software.  The disclaimer, as all disclaimers, are at the bottom of the page, in small type, following the statement:

"Windows, MSN and MSN Messenger are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Any other trademarks are property of their owners."

Therefore, messenger plus, the originator of the software and the site itself misrepresents the software.

Again, all I am asking for is a process to unistall the 'add-on'.  When I try to unistall, I recieve the msg "Messenger Plus has NOT been uninstalled.  Please try again later.

RE: RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Guido on 05-05-2003 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If you would have read the website (www.msgplus.net) carefully, you would have seen this...
quote:
This site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.

and more importantly...
quote:
Graphic design and web development by GFDD.net :refuck:

:lol:

just joking :tongue:
RE: RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Guido on 05-05-2003 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Taxi
WDZ, well, like the many I know who found plus yesterday, we all believed plus was MSN software.  The msgplus.net site looks like an MSN site, the butterfly closely resmebles the MSN official butterfly and the name "messenger plus", to many of us 'casual' users, lead us to believe it was official MSN software.
you should learn that if a site or software doesn't come from msn.com is not from Msn :rolleyes:

If we wanted to cheat you, we would have put the msn logo and duplicated a msn-like website, and we didn't. We just did a site that was a similar style so as for everybody to realise that it is about an addon for messenger.

Its like saying all Windows programs are crap because they use windows buttons... and a titlebar at the top. :rolleyes:

Plus, the logo both in the site and the software clearly says "an EXTENSION by PATCHOU" (not by Microsoft... :rolleyes:)

quote:
Therefore, messenger plus, the originator of the software and the site itself misrepresents the software.
urhh... No. :rolleyes: where?
RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by iLLeSt on 05-05-2003 at 05:00 PM

You guys are getting way off topic .. come on guys .. you can do better than this .. I want my problem fixed.

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by math1985 on 05-05-2003 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Test 1

quote:
Then, post your results as reply to this thread

Windows crashed after the installation.
Reboot. Plus! didn't load * (no entry Plus! appeared in the menu, and no entry msnplus appeared in the Task Manager).
I manually started Plus by running the program. Plus! still didn't load * (still no entry Plus! in the menu, still no entry msnplus in the Task Manager).
I got the recovery message. I chose the first option, and anything worked properly.
To be continued when I've rebooted...

* Maybe this is because I installed Plus not in his default folder, but in C:Program filesMSN MessengerMSN plus? I want all my messenger add-ons to be in one folder :).

quote:
(don't forget to confirm that you were experiencing freeze problems with the old version).

I had.

By the way, I'm not sure 2.10.32 does work fine here, when I downgraded to it Windows keep crashing. 2.02 did work.

The file starts with:
2003/05/05 19:21:24 -
2003/05/05 19:21:24 - ************ Messenger has been started ************
2003/05/05 19:21:24 - Performing quick initialization
2003/05/05 19:21:24 - Messenger Plus! build: 2034
2003/05/05 19:21:24 - Program hooked: C:PROGRAM FILESMSN MESSENGERMSNMSGR.EXE
2003/05/05 19:21:24 - Quick-Init step 1

But that's all after the crash.

[edit]After rebooting Plus doesnt load again but manually running the programme works fine now.[/edit]
RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Patchou on 05-05-2003 at 05:48 PM

math1985: thanl you for this detailed post, it helps me much.. can you do the same thing for Test2?

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by user13774 on 05-05-2003 at 05:56 PM

He patchou btw, i think my dutch translation fix is completed, maybe u could already add it to a next version? :P

LINK -> My post with the fixed language file

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by math1985 on 05-05-2003 at 06:28 PM

Deleted files of version 1 (I couldn't find an uninstaller, plus didn't show up in control panel - software), installed version 2.

No crash while plus installs, everything is ok.
I rebooted.
Everything works still fine: plus! loads on startup.
Thanks patchou!

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by si3rra on 05-05-2003 at 06:46 PM

Back to topic..
Test 1 - .. freezes the comp. and no text in the dump file.
Test 2 - runs great on winme here.. (my brothers comp)..

l00king forward for the new realese. :)

Patchou: if u need anything from test2 dump just shout.. :-D :-P

//si3rra

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Patchou on 05-05-2003 at 07:16 PM

I would need someone to do some testing with me today... please, if you have some minutes to share with me, go on the live chat (http://www.msgplus.net/index.php?view=chat).

I'm waiting for you,
thanks,
Patchou

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by s7a5 on 05-05-2003 at 07:20 PM

Test 1: works fine
Test 2: works fine 2 :)

i have Win XP Pro, MSN 5.0543

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by SeventhCyclone on 05-05-2003 at 10:21 PM

Test 1:  Froze when I rebooted, same as with version 2.10.34

Test 2:  Worked fine

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by iLLeSt on 05-05-2003 at 10:41 PM

Test 1: Froze

Test 2: Installed fine but when 2.10.34 was installed .. it froze again.

I also re-downloaded MSN Messenger just to remove any patch I had with it .. but I'm still having this problem.

RE: Fix for computer freeze - PLEASE READ by Patchou on 05-05-2003 at 11:47 PM

Problem fixed :). Version 2.10.0035 has been released. Checkout http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=9866.

Thank you for your testing time,
Patchou