Shoutbox

MP!L Not Working - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: MP!L Not Working (/showthread.php?tid=98501)

MP!L Not Working by benjis90 on 10-30-2011 at 06:44 PM

Hey.
I don't know what I do wrong, but the MP!L don't works on my WLM ôo
I use Windows 7 64bit and the latest version of WLM ...
It don't works since 3 releases of the latest versions.

Can anybody help me?!

Edit: I try some options (reinstall WLM & MP!L), reinstall only MP!L and some things... Nothing helps :(

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.10 released by Chrissy on 10-30-2011 at 09:18 PM

When you say it's not working, what do you mean by this? Can you explain further?

The more information you give us, the more we can help you.

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.10 released by benjis90 on 10-31-2011 at 05:16 PM

Hey.

When I start WLM, it don't show the Buttons from MP!L (on the Topbar (where the Extras, ? ... Buttons are) and the Icon of MP!L)... In the Chatwindows it don't show the Icons for the Features of MP!L and others...
here a screenshot of my WLM-Windows:
Picture 1
Picture 2

Any questions? :)

PS: sorry for my bad english and the german pictures ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.10 released by matty on 10-31-2011 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by benjis90
Hey.

When I start WLM, it don't show the Buttons from MP!L (on the Topbar (where the Extras, ? ... Buttons are) and the Icon of MP!L)... In the Chatwindows it don't show the Icons for the Features of MP!L and others...
Picture 1
Picture 2

Are you running Windows Live Messenger in compatibility mode? If you right click the msnmsgr.exe executable in the Program Files folder and click Properties, under the Compatibility tab make sure it is disabled.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5.10 released by benjis90 on 10-31-2011 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
Hey.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Are you running Windows Live Messenger in compatibility mode? If you right click the msnmsgr.exe executable in the Program Files folder and click Properties, under the Compatibility tab make sure it is disabled.

It is disabled and no admin-rights (run as admin is disabled) for this program.
RE: MP!L Not Working by benjis90 on 11-08-2011 at 09:53 PM

hello? anybody there who can help me???? *-)

RE: MP!L Not Working by matty on 11-09-2011 at 01:13 PM

Have you looked at Have SweetIM and/or SmileyCentral installed? PLEASE READ?

RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 11-09-2011 at 08:44 PM

I have the same problem, and I even did all of the steps to remove the Smiley thing mentioned. But it's MP!L is no where to be seen in Live Messenger. I too have 64-bit Windows 7, if that means anything. If I understood the nature of how MP!L adds itself onto the official program, then maybe I could find something thats not working right. Like how I noticed there is a service for MP!L.

RE: MP!L Not Working by CookieRevised on 11-09-2011 at 09:37 PM

That Messenger Plus! is not working can be caused by many other programs. SweetIM and SmileyCentral are only 2 of the most common causes.

See here for a list of more programs which do no behave properly or have other issues and thus cause Messenger Plus! to malfunction.

Note that this list is by no means complete. So, make sure you have properly uninstalled (note 'properly uninstalled', not just removed) all other Messenger add-ons to start with, to find the culprint.

quote:
Originally posted by keiththewolf
Like how I noticed there is a service for MP!L.
Messenger Plus! does not have a 'Windows service'.
However, it has a running process named "PlusService.exe". Though the name might indeed be confusing in this case, because it is not a Windows service, it is just a normal process that is running most of the time. It is used to diagnose certain installation problems (although it seems to fail to diagnose your current problems) and to check for updates.
RE: RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 11-09-2011 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That Messenger Plus! is not working can be caused by many other programs. SweetIM and SmileyCentral are only 2 of the most common causes.

See here for a list of more programs which do no behave properly or have other issues and thus cause Messenger Plus! to malfunction.

Note that this list is by no means complete. So, make sure you have properly uninstalled (note 'properly uninstalled', not just removed) all other Messenger add-ons to start with, to find the culprint.

Unfortunately, none of those apply to me, and I uninstalled everything having to do with both MP!L and Windows Live Essentials, rebooted, and reinstalled everything. I know that the list isn't complete, but I'm not about to go about, and uninstall everything, just so I can get this program to work.

quote:
Messenger Plus! does not have a 'Windows service'.
However, it has a running process named "PlusService.exe" The name might indeed be confusing in this case. It is not a Windows service, it is just a normal process that is running most of the time.

And yeah, that explains a bit. According to Task Manager, it's running. I suppose that's whats responsible for detecting when Windows Live Messenger is running?
RE: MP!L Not Working by CookieRevised on 11-09-2011 at 10:22 PM

quote:
I suppose that's whats responsible for detecting when Windows Live Messenger is running?
It is suppose to detect certain problems with Plus! (like crippled installation) and to check for updates.
RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 11-09-2011 at 10:34 PM

Ah, ok. So then I can assume I installed it correctly, and it's up to date, since it's not dating anything? It's kinda weird that it's just not there. I'm not sure what could be blocking it. I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed. And unfortunate, it's hard to know what everyone has installed on their computer, to look for any correlation. XP

RE: RE: MP!L Not Working by benjis90 on 11-11-2011 at 01:35 PM

quote:
I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed.
I use BitDefender too, is there any incompatibility? i had the problems before i use BitDefender, i think, thats not the trouble... :^)

RE: MP!L Not Working by CookieRevised on 11-11-2011 at 02:56 PM

quote:
quote:
I have BitDefender as my antivirus, but MP!L is on it's allowed.
I use BitDefender too, is there any incompatibility?
It could be, although it shouldn't be.

Problems like this are always very hard to diagnose since there are all kinds of (rare) programs which might interfear with how Messenger and Messenger Plus! works.

The best thing you can do, although very time consuming, is to selectively uninstall certain programs and then restart Messenger to see if the problem goes away.
RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 11-13-2011 at 09:38 PM

It IS Bitdefender! More specifically, Active Virus Control (or atleast what its called in the 2012 version). I stumbled upon this when I noticed that MP!L was suddenly working today, and so I was setting it up for the first time, and thought it had fixed itself.  But then I found out the the AVC wasn't enabled, so I tried to enable it, but it kept failing. This is because I had to do a hard reboot on my computer, since it froze; which corrupted "vsserv.exe", which is the AVC service for Bitdefender. After updating Bitdefender, which repaired vsserv.exe, MP!L disappears again. I turn Active Virus Control off, MP!L comes back! So it is Bitdefender's Active Virus Control. I have tried adding MP!L's applicates to every sort of excepmtions list I know of, and no avail.

Bottom line: If you have Bitdefender, with Active Virus Control enabled, then you most likely won't see MP!L, since somehow it's blocking it. However, I believe that it is an essential part of protecting your computer from threats, and do not recommend you disable it. If you do, do so at YOUR OWN RISK!

Also, a note to the developers: It may be beneficial to look into why Bitdefender is blocking MP!L. Perhaps get in contact with them about the issue. Because for some reason, Bitdefender is conflicting with your application, and as a end-user, and in the field of IT, compatibility is a must!

RE: MP!L Not Working by CookieRevised on 11-14-2011 at 12:52 PM

That's a very interesting find. Thanks.
I hope some of the devs of Plus! will read your post.

RE: RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 11-14-2011 at 07:24 PM

quote:
That's a very interesting find. Thanks.
I hope some of the devs of Plus! will read your post.

It's no problem really. Now atleast I know why it isn't working. I wouldn't have found it though if my antivirus didn't corrupt itself somehow though. Oh well....yeah, hopefully the devs will pick up on this too. But I've also let Bitdefender know, since they should improve there product as well. An antivirus should protect your computer from harm, not block you from running applications you want to run. MP!L is just one program, and it's hard to tell how many other programs as well conflict with Bitdefender. I hope they look into it, as it would make the product more compatible with what the user wants to do.
RE: MP!L Not Working by keiththewolf on 01-16-2012 at 03:33 AM

I know this is a very late reply, but I actually found the answer to the problem recently. I noticed that when i disabled the Active Virus Control on Bitdefender, MP!L was working! and so, i contacted Bitdefender support about the problem, and found out there was a second security scanner running on my computer the whole time, and the two scans running at the same time where not allowing MP!L to run. And so I took off the second security program (in my case, it was Secunia), and now MP!L is running like it should! ^^