Shoutbox

How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? (/showthread.php?tid=98598)

How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by tarqeq on 11-25-2011 at 11:26 AM

I love Plus! for my MSN, however I hate when Plus! Network agressively keeps changing my search engine in FireFox.

I have not authorized the Plus! Network as search engine and I keep changing it back to Google both in the search bar and in the adress bar. I have deleted it as a search option in "manage search engines" and I have change it in "about:config" in FireFox numeros times, but Plus! keeps overriding it :(

So why is Plus! Network so aggressive to change my search engine options all the time?
Please fix this.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by matty on 11-25-2011 at 01:22 PM

You definitely installed the Plus! Sponsor. In the add remove programs find Plus! and it should give you an option to remove the sponsor only.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by tarqeq on 12-12-2011 at 03:28 PM

Not true, because I always make sure I don't install sponsors and I definetly did not authorize or installed the Plus! sponsor. Of this I am 100% sure.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by matty on 12-12-2011 at 04:05 PM

Well it doesn't just install itself without the users consent. That is why it is optional.

In the installer there is two "I Agree" sections, the first one is the sponsor the second is for Plus!.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 12-12-2011 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tarqeq
Not true, because I always make sure I don't install sponsors and I definetly did not authorize or installed the Plus! sponsor. Of this I am 100% sure.

I'm pretty sure that the sponsor software does not even get downloaded until you consent to installing it. If I remember rightly, it is no longer bundled into the same installer.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by tarqeq on 12-14-2011 at 12:17 PM

And that is why I did not agree nor did I istall the sponsor. Like I said I never give permission to sponsors when I install programs on my pc. I always choose the advanced option so I can make sure what I agree to install. I am not a complete idiot, I'm only just part nerd ;)

But let's not keep arguing about that, how do I fix the problem?
And again, no the sponsor is not installed on my computer. So just remove Plus! and stop using it or reinstall?

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by matty on 12-14-2011 at 01:24 PM

The latter.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Shadyrose on 12-15-2011 at 01:22 AM

Spunky and Matty are you both wrong. I have this same exact issue,  only in Chrome. I thought during my initial install I'd just missed a checkbox somewhere and I've been dealing with their very poor excuse for a search engine. I installed the update today and triple checked that I hadn't selected the "Do you want to make MsnPlus your default search engine" plus the other 2 sponsor things it wanted me to install.

I know for a fact I didn't select them. MsnPlus is installing these things without the users permission. No doubt because they make money when people give up and start using their search engine. It's pathetic, and possibly illegal. The makers of this addon should be ashamed of themselves.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 12-15-2011 at 02:13 AM

There are no ifs or buts. When the checkbox is ticked, the sponsor gets installed. If it installs the sponsor for one user, it installs it for all users. I have chosen not to install it, I do not have it on my computer. I find it quite rude of users to come and complain, even so much as to tell me I'm wrong about something I have been involved with for a number of years. If you could provide some information  about where you downloaded the setup file from, the version number etc, we may have been able to help you.

As it is, you say the makers should be ashamed of themselves for something you suspect them of doing although with out some sort of installer log, or packet sniffer to log a download of the sponsor software, it can not be proved.

I am not saying I don't believe the sponsor is installed (there are a few threads about this), but every thread I've seen here relating to this is because the user did in fact select the option (whether they were confused or didn't pay attention during setup).

My advice is to check the Add/Remove programs list. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the sponsor shows up as it's own entry now, or whether you can do it from Messenger Plus' entry. If you can't find a way to do it, uninstall Messenger Plus and the sponsor and then re-install with the sponsor disabled.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-15-2011 at 04:43 AM

I'm sorry to say but I too have *exactly* the same problem and I did not check any boxes allowing the installation of anything other than Plus. Here's what I've done so far:

I've reset my default search engine to what it should be as Plus Network had hijacked that.
I deleted it from my list of search engines. It'd hijacked that.
I've removed it from my Add-ons Manager. I didn't say it could add anything in the first place.
I've removed all traces from Add/Remove programs - including Plus itself.

Unfortunately, Plus Network is STILL hijacking Firefox. That is to say, when I type in address bar, I'm usually directed to Google. Currently, I'm directed to Plus Network.

As I've already uninstalled all traces of the sponsors and Plus, I can only assume that this particular update/sponsor has somehow managed to embed itself directly into Firefox.

Some help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: I've just uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled, losing all of my settings in the process, but at least it got rid of the stupid Plus Network.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by x2zen on 12-15-2011 at 11:10 AM

Try reinstalling Plus! with the sponsor. Then do a complete uninstall. Restart the pc (files being used by the system can't be removed before a reboot).

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Menthix on 12-15-2011 at 12:45 PM

You need to uncheck 2 checkboxes to prevent Plus! from installing any (additional) sponsor material. This is the current sponsor dialog (5.10.0.750):
[Image: 20111215-130213.png]
Unchecking one box does not uncheck the other.

I think the reason why suddenly there is so much feedback on the sponsor material is because the sponsor dialog changed recently. This is the sponsor dialog from a slightly older version (5.01.0.706):
[Image: 20111215-133214.png]
It looks largely the same, but there is a big difference in functionality. In older versions unchecking 'Install the Messenger Plus! toolbar' would also automatically uncheck the two (sub)options below it. In the new installer 'default search' and 'homepage' are no longer automatically unchecked when you uncheck the 'toolbar' option.

Also, AFAIK there is only an uninstaller for the toolbar in IE, which is labeled 'Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar'. Uninstalling the toolbar does not restore the homepage, search provider, searching from URL bar. Neither does it uninstall the toolbar from other browsers. Each of these modifications have to be restored manually by going trough the browser settings.

Personally I find this far from ideal (to put it nicely). Requests for a proper sponsor uninstaller have been made multiple times but was never created.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Reptar on 12-15-2011 at 05:03 PM

Well, I'm having the exact same issue and I am also 100% certain I unchecked all the related boxes.

In fact I went as far as to completely uninstall plus, yet it's still redirecting my google searches to plusnetwork.com, which is definitely not what I wanted.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-16-2011 at 10:12 AM

What I am going to tress on is the fact that _nobody_ has yet given us a proper evidence or a log or whatever of where they exactly got the setups from. And I mean the proper direct link, which you can only see if you look at the HTTP headers when you download the setup. Thus not www.msgplus.net/DownloadMsgPlus.aspx, but the real link it redirects to, like (for the current version): mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20111016/MIX/Setup-MsgPlus-510.exe

This because it is only then that we can try and recreate the situation with the proper setup file with the proper sponsor flavor, and maybe investigate further.

However, this said, I make it a strong point that I download all the known available setups of all versions (including beta versions) and as a result I have probably one of the largest collections of Plus! setups of all the users here (yeah, call me nuts :P).

I also always test-install each official version (and again, I'm not just talking about 'version' as in v5.1, v5.2, etc, but in the much bigger sense as in the different sponsored versions). And let me tress on the fact that I have never seen the sponsor (=browser companion, bar, search engine, etc) installing by itself. This includes the latest versions (=see link above, + the 'PN' and 'LK' flavors). And by 'seeing' I do mean by analyzing exactly what the setup is doing with the help of a sandbox, a network sniffer, a registry monitor and a process monitoring program.

So, again, if you experienced something with the setup which it should not be doing, then by all means, please provide us proper material so we can look into it deeper.

Nobody benefits from misbehaviouring setups, not even Yuna, despite what some might believe.

Just saying you did or did not do something is unfortunatly not enough. You can't imagine the amount of people saying that they did/didn't do something, while in fact they didn't/did (although not always on purpose though). This is all too common. People working in support centers and other similar areas sure know what I'm talking about.

---------------------------------

How the Plus! setup works in relation to the Linkury searchbar:
note: everything said here can easily be checked if you have some basic knowledge of the file system of Windows and archives

The setup of Plus! is now, what sometimes is called, an online setup. This means that the size of the setup is small, and that the needed files, which are actually going to be installed, are downloaded when you start the setup process... thus exactly like how WLM is installed.

When the setup is running and busy installing, the downloaded files are stored in two temporary subdirectories, named msgpl_XXXX.tmp (where the X stands for a hexadecimal number), under your Windows' temporary map.
these will be removed as soon as you close the Plus! setup. So, if you wanna check this out, don't close the setup.

Most of these files are compressed RAR archives, although they not always have the RAR extension in their name. In these archives there are more files and some are compressed archives on their own.

In one of these files (namely PlusPlusSetup.dat), which is also an archive, there is a file called MsgPlusSetup.exe.
This file contains binary resources. One of these resources is FILES_FILE_LINKURY. This file is again a RAR archive.

In there is the Linkury installer named LinkuryInstaller.exe. However, this installer is again an online installer, and if executed it downloads the actual Linkury MSI setup. It downloads it from (in this versions' case) http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20111016/LK/LinkuryPlus.msi. So, as long as LinkuryInstaller.exe is not executed, nothing gets downloaded, and thus nothing can be installed in the first place.

If you have unticked the searchbar box in the Plus! setup, then this Linkury installer will not be extracted and thus will not be installed. Which on its turn will not download the MSI, let alone start that.

So, to conclude: yes, a part of (note: 'part of') the entire searchbar setup system is included in the Plus! setup. But NOT (note: 'not') the bussiness part which actually installs the thing.

Also note that this searchbar is actually a very popular addon (if you can call it that) for many freeware programs on the net. And believe me that many of such free programs actually do not let you choose to install it or not.

So, there is also always a chance that this searchbar was not installed by Messenger Plus!, but by some other software you've recently installed.

quote:
In fact I went as far as to completely uninstall plus, yet it's still redirecting my google searches to plusnetwork.com, which is definitely not what I wanted.
Like said before: uninstalling Plus! will not reset the browser search engine to what it was before. In fact, this is very extremely rarely done with any other software which alters the search engine in the browsers. You need to manually set it back to what it was. Also know that it is not enough to simply enter the original one in the most obvious place in your browser. For many browsers there are quite a few deep buried settings which deal with search engines. You need to alter them too.

Either way, this is certainly not a case of Plus! being malicious and trying to hide itself so you can not get rid of it. You actually did got rid of it if you uninstall it (NOT by 3rd party apps, but by using the proper official uninstaller!!!); it is just that some settings in the browser have been 'leftover'.

Yes, completely removing your browser, like that other guy did, will solve it. So is formatting your computer or even buying a brand new one. But changing the settings back, manually (because the sponsor of Plus! does not know what it was before), would have solved it too though.

To remove the Linkury searchbar:
http://www.linkury.com/faq/linkury/faq_eng.html

Go to control panel -> "Add/Remove Programs" (XP) or "Programs and Features" (Vista/7) -> Linkury Smartbar.
and follow instructions.

After that, you can change your browser settings such as your keyword search and default search provider by going to your browser's options menu.

For Chrome users, a helpfull page might be: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95426
And otherwise: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/change-your-de...e-chrome-ie/24378/

Also remember that, especially for FireFox, there are different types of searches. Just changing one of them will not change the others. See the link above.

Also remember that these browser settings are just settings! They do not have anything to do with programs hijacking them or whatever. They are nothing more than some options in the browsers themselfs! So, even if you have uninstalled the Plus! Smartbar from Linkury you MUST change these browser settings yourself!!!
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Appocomaster on 12-17-2011 at 10:35 AM

No, I'm sorry.

This reeks of malware.

I was asked to update msn messenger plus

I downloaded and installed it, unticking *all* boxes.

Despite this, I got the community smart bar. I immediately disabled/ removed it.

A day or so later, my browser crashed suddenly, and when I restarted it, the smartbar came back. Smart, heh.

I disabled and removed it again. Yesterday, my home page suddenly changed. I reset it. Today, my searches suddenly started being redirected via Plus Network rather than Google. no restarts, no browser restarts.  Both IE and Chrome were hit, but Opera appears safe.
I found this site (ironically via their search results) and went and removed the community bar from my program files. This hasn't reset all my home pages / search engines so I am doing so manually.

If I see any further hints of it after removing / resetting every trace of it I can find, I will report it as malware wherever I can find it, as it refuses to go away. I'm very, very saddened to find this happen, and it's deeply shaken my trust in MSN Messenger Plus!.

Edit;
I j ust found that "Browser Companion 1.1" was also installed on 14/12. Uninstalled, as I figure that's probably causing some of the problems.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by mike626 on 12-17-2011 at 10:15 PM

This is APPAULING!

I too unticked all the check-boxes so it would not install these addon bits and my homepage has still changed in Firefox and installed this 'browser companion'

I have had MessengerPlus right from the begining but if it's going to start bundling with horrible ad-ware and alsorts of stuff then i WILL stop using it! Especially if it starts installing stuff without asking me. How can I trust it if it's going to be doing that???!!!

EDIT: Just found this Smart Bar thing too!? What is that! And when I uninstalled it, it crashed my chrome browser. Not cool, not cool!

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 12-17-2011 at 11:13 PM

Can anybody provide the link the downloaded the software from and any version numbers? If this is happening we will need to track it down, but need more information

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-17-2011 at 11:31 PM

Spunky, the download was initiated via Plus itself. Not manually downloaded from a website.

I believe Menthix has a good point with his post regarding the update to how the sponsor works and is presented to the user. Specifically this:

quote:
In older versions unchecking 'Install the Messenger Plus! toolbar' would also automatically uncheck the two (sub)options below it. In the new installer 'default search' and 'homepage' are no longer automatically unchecked when you uncheck the 'toolbar' option.

I'd like to offer a suggestion to prevent this sort of stuff. Include full sponsor uninstall instructions in the Plus installer. Simply an installation screen that says something along the lines of "Thank you for installing the toolbar. If you decided you don't want it, here's how you can remove it and put everything back the way it was".

I don't have a problem with sponsor software - it helps fund projects like Plus. What do have a problem with is when the software is so intrusive and a nightmare to remove. The only way I removed it was to uninstall Firefox because there is no easy way to reset an address bar search provider (i.e. Google).

Put simply, Plus needs to provide more transparency. The fact that this topic now has just under 1,000 views in just a few days shows that there's a lot of people experiencing similar issues. Plus could solve those issues by providing the uninstall information.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-18-2011 at 04:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anagoogle
Spunky, the download was initiated via Plus itself. Not manually downloaded from a website.
That's not enough. See my post.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-18-2011 at 04:15 AM

Sorry, I don't know the HTTP header info. I just let Plus download the update and install.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-18-2011 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Unfortunately, Plus Network is STILL hijacking Firefox. That is to say, when I type in address bar, I'm usually directed to Google. Currently, I'm directed to Plus Network.
Have you tried resetting the Keyword.URL setting before you completely removed FireFox?
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-18-2011 at 06:24 AM

No, I didn't try that because I didn't know how to, but thanks for the tip for next time. It's unfortunate that the sponsor does this to begin with, though.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-18-2011 at 07:51 AM

quote:
No, I didn't try that because I didn't know how to, but thanks for the tip for next time. It's unfortunate that the sponsor does this to begin with, though.
Well, that was probably the reason why you thought the sponsor was still present but hidden and hijacking and all... The Keyword.URL in Firefox is just a setting which controls the keyword search. So you may remove every program from your computer, the setting will still be there, since it is just an URL. And since users can change that at their will at any time, the 'old' value is not stored. Hence it can not be restored automatically after you uninstall the sponsor; you need to do that manually.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 12-19-2011 at 11:16 AM

Hi guys,

I have been following this thread with interest and wanted to clarify a few things on behalf of Yuna Software:

1.    The installation of Messenger Plus! remains transparent and our services are still optional.  As you can see in the window below, users can choose whichever checkboxes they want during the installation process.  (In the scenario below, the user has chosen NOT to install the toolbar, not to install the default search but yes, to make Plus! network his/her homepage).

2.    To uninstall the toolbar, the software, or Plus! Network, standard uninstall procedures are in place via Add/Remove

3.    Disabling the toolbar will not uninstall the toolbar.  To uninstall, you must use add/remove.

4.    We agree that more documentation was needed for the uninstall process of the Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar and are happy to refer you to the brand new FAQ here which gives users detailed uninstall instructions, including removing the search and changing the home page

[http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html

5.    If you have suggestions in improving the documentation on this page, feel free to send me a private message.

[Image: 6537025783_f1080a6cc1.jpg]

As always, we appreciate your feedback.

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by mystix007 on 12-20-2011 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie

2.    To uninstall the toolbar, the software, or Plus! Network, standard uninstall procedures are in place via Add/Remove

3.    Disabling the toolbar will not uninstall the toolbar.  To uninstall, you must use add/remove.

I've uninstalled EVERYTHING related to plus! including the browser addons, and the plus! software itself. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my browsers. and  IT STILL REDIRECTS MY SEARCHES TO THE PLUS! NETWORK.

Please provide better instructions on how to uninstall this unwanted malware.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-20-2011 at 01:42 AM

mystix (and others), these are the instructions you need, which CookieRevised mentioned:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20search

No one should have to start going into advanced settings to get rid of this stuff, but following the above link and the instructions will work.

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by mystix007 on 12-20-2011 at 02:26 AM

quote:
mystix (and others), these are the instructions you need, which CookieRevised mentioned:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20search

No one should have to start going into advanced settings to get rid of this stuff, but following the above link and the instructions will work.

thank you so much i finally have my firefox back!
but i'd also like my chrome back >>'' any ideas?

by now i have uninstalled everything!!! including browser companion
then i went into my startup and disabled it from starting
then i went into my program folders and deleted that folder
and it STILL searches with the plus network..  how utterly annoying.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-20-2011 at 09:33 AM

See the first "Best Answer" for the solution to Chrome:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thre...ba383ffd1f4f&hl=en

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine? by mimic789 on 12-20-2011 at 03:54 PM

uff, never more Messenger Plus !!!

Messenger Plus install the update automaticaly !!! I never checked sponzor  during the installation.  Messenger Plus rebbed me 3,5 hours of my work !!!
I cleaned the firefox, but i still can not clean chrome.

This would never have to wait on the application that is associated with Microsoft !!!

I reinstall application (downloaded from this web - for reinstall), cleaned registry, I used hitjack, and yet others ... and stupid Plus!network occupying my address bar in chrome :(

How to get rid of it? This following instructions lead nowhere.

quote:
See the first "Best Answer" for the solution to Chrome:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thre...ba383ffd1f4f&hl=en

thx for URL,
... works
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by tarqeq on 12-20-2011 at 04:47 PM

I still have the same problem, Plus! Network keeps changing my search engine in Firefox serarchbar and address bar. And the last time this happened was today.
I change them back to google and delete Plus! network as an search engine option, but still Plus Network! changes it back and adds it to the list.

As I have made clear before, I did not authorize the add-on to be installed, nor did I authorize the installer to change my homepage or search engine. Of this I am 100% sure.

I have tripple checked if the add-on is installed, even though I know for certain that it never has been installed on my PC. Nor do I have other programs installed that includes giving access to the Plus! network. I even uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure I didn't give any authorization to add-ons etc. Again I am 100% sure because I am suspicious of any program I install and always make sure I choose the advanced options so I make sure I don't give permission for any program to change things on my pc or add-ons to be installed.

I am using the lates norwegian version of Firefox 8.0. I dowloaded MsgPlus! direclty from msgplus.net and the current norwegian version is 5.10.0.750.

As I am only part nerd I don't know how to give you logs or other proof, other than my word for what I tell you is the truth.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-20-2011 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tarqeq
I still have the same problem, Plus! Network keeps changing my search engine in Firefox serarchbar and address bar. And the last time this happened was today.
I change them back to google and delete Plus! network as an search engine option, but still Plus Network! changes it back and adds it to the list.
Then you have _not_ uninstalled the Plus! Network and searchbar sponsor programs. Only simply changing those settings in your browser is of no use. You need to properly uninstall the Searchbar and Network sponsors first, using the proper way (add/remove programs etc).

Note: You do not need to uninstall Messenger Plus! itself for any of this. The Searchbar and Network sponsors are completely seperate things.

------------------------------------------------------------

I kindly ask to first read and follow the instructions in my post before posting that you can't uninstall and all...

Note that this is also a general rule of the forums (and all existing forums on the internet for that matter): read first, then post if you're answer isn't given...

I don't want to request this thread to be locked, but if people are going to keep simply posting without reading I will... (refering to the "can't uninstall" comments, not to the other comments)

edit: Anagoogle, with all respect but you're just repeating my posts and links.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Anagoogle on 12-20-2011 at 09:07 PM

If you've uninstalled everything Plus-related, follow the Firefox/Chrome instructions I've already posted.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Sirby on 12-26-2011 at 05:08 AM

Funny Story...Same exact thing is happening to me.

Several weeks ago, I installed Messenger Plus, directly from this fine site...I don't know which mirror, but which ever one it was must have laced the software with malware, trojans, viruses, whatever, it was not good.

I install a lot of software, and a lot of free software at that.  I know that if you do not untick boxes, bad things can and will happen.  So I always make sure I untick boxes when I see a toolbar, and read what I am agreeing to when I install, especially when extra software is requested.

So I go about installing and after install, weirdest thing happened.  Software was not working one bit.  So I try it again, no luck.  So I try to open firefox, and low and behold, the software has this plus network site, and my script blocker is going crazy blocking things (Much like it is on this site, so I will keep everything blocked because, I don't trust a damn thing from this site) and I can barely control my browser without it nearly coming to a halt (I mean my system is pretty nice...AMD Athlon x6 3.2GHz 16GB of RAM...not a bad system) and really, I was angered by this so I did what any person would do...Uninstalled it, went back to original messenger and, guess what, THE WORLD WAS GOOD AGAIN!

Almost good...there was sill a problem.  The problem lied in the fact that messenger plus still managed to install their stupid toolbar software, and their malware, and other crap.  I am usually able to get rid of malicious software with ease being a computer technician, but my full arsenal even had some problems, so I had to use my government powered eraser, to try and get rid of unwanted stuff.  It took me several scans, and several deletes to get rid of it, but I did...in a day, I had things back to normal...Or did I

Today, I registered on this forum to share my experience, as it is back.  I am running more scans, and finding more traces to this problem.  I present to you my findings.

Open Task Manager
>Bchelper.exe (Broswer Companion) It is no good, Kill it immediately.  It can be easily infected causing you grief.

Sadly that is the only trace I have.  I am still trying to get rid of this.  Sadly I wonder if the intent of installing Malicious software, even if you decline is considered legal, because if it were not legal, there would be a lawsuit.

Of course Yuna Software is not going to respond to this because they are the rectums that are the cause of this terrible software incident.  Oh well...Thanks for the help here, As I try to fix this, I will post my progress.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 12-26-2011 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Open Task Manager
>Bchelper.exe (Broswer Companion) It is no good, Kill it immediately.  It can be easily infected causing you grief.

You may delete this but it does not affect the Plus! Network search engine or home page.  You also can continue to enjoy the Messenger Plus! software itself.  As Cookie Revised wrote, Note: You do not need to uninstall Messenger Plus! itself for any of this. The Searchbar and Network sponsors are completely separate things.

Of course Yuna Software is not going to respond to this
quote:

I am one of the representatives of Yuna Software. Since October 2011, uninstalling the Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar rolls back both the Homepage and Default search settings to their default values. However, if these settings remain after the Smartbar has been removed and searches are still sent to Plus! Network, we will soon update the help page with further instructions.

Thanks for your input
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Sirby on 12-26-2011 at 08:53 PM

quote:
You may delete this but it does not affect the Plus! Network search engine or home page.  You also can continue to enjoy the Messenger Plus! software itself.  As Cookie Revised wrote, Note: You do not need to uninstall Messenger Plus! itself for any of this. The Searchbar and Network sponsors are completely separate things.
I uninstalled Messenger plus because it did not work.  Problem: I installed it, rebooted, opened MSN, and it would not log in at all, it went back to the login screen and did its whole loop again.  Uninstalled it and everything worked again. Everything, including toolbar and Plus Network page were still there loading.  I even uninstalled the sponsor program from the control panel, and deleted it further making sure it was gone, and several weeks later, as in Last night, it showed up again.  What kind of invasive software is linked to Messenger Plus?

quote:
Since October 2011, uninstalling the Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar rolls back both the Homepage and Default search settings to their default values. However, if these settings remain after the Smartbar has been removed and searches are still sent to Plus! Network, we will soon update the help page with further instructions.

Since October?  Really, because...this Was late November Early December...Nothing rolled back and problems showed up again last night, so I think you best talk to, I don't know, you must have sponsors hosting mirrors to download from, and each one is random, but you may want to make sure they got the memo.

I don't appreciate malware, and since this is malicious, that is what I will call it.

Anyway, I had to completely uninstall firefox, deleting profile in the hidden appdata folders as well, and had to start with a fresh install just to get things back to normal.  You may want to look into that or have fun explaining to people in the help section, that seems to be the only way to get their settings back to normal.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-27-2011 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sirby
Anyway, I had to completely uninstall firefox, deleting profile in the hidden appdata folders as well, and had to start with a fresh install just to get things back to normal.  You may want to look into that or have fun explaining to people in the help section, that seems to be the only way to get their settings back to normal.
With all respect, and no matter how much I dislike malware too, but I have posted some instructions on how to completely remove the browser searchbar, homepage and word search in browsers. Nothing complicated and it is in fact very logical (it is just the same as if you would add another search engine of your choice, but then the other way around of course). Nothing involves completely uninstalling the browser since the offending stuff are just one or two browser settings you need to change, nothing more nothing less.

PS: Completely formatting your computer would have worked too in that regards, or even buying a new computer.

To be honest, as a computer technician having access to "government powered erasers" (whatever that is), this is something I'd expect you to know. Also the sentence "I even uninstalled the sponsor program from the control panel" puzzles me a bit because you let it seem like you are a knowledgable computer technician but at the same time it's like you're saying you're very surprised that in order to uninstall a program you need to go to the control panel>add/remove programs. Thus, no matter how bad your experience might have been or still is, some stuff you say doesn't quite add up though. (note: I'm not saying you haven't experienced all what you said though)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways,

I strongly ask to those who have installed Plus!, have unchecked the sponsor boxes and finding that sponsor stuff is still installed, to:
  1. Install or use a network sniffer, or install something like LiveHTTPHeaders plugin for Firefox, or HTTPWatch or something similar.
    (important: it must be run from your location though, thus from your computer, thus no internet based http header viewers).
  2. clear your browser cache completely
  3. re-download the Messenger Plus! setup file (<-- use this link) and check in the HTTP response code viewer of your choice where the link http://www.msgplus.net/DownloadMsgPlus.aspx is finally redirected to (= the 'Location' field in the code 200-response) and tell us this link so we can check it further.
(note you do not need to install Plus! for this, just start the download; you can even cancel it once it is downloading if you want)

thanks ;)

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Sirby on 12-27-2011 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
With all respect, and no matter how much I dislike malware too, but I have posted some instructions on how to completely remove the browser searchbar, homepage and word search in browsers. Nothing complicated and it is in fact very logical (it is just the same as if you would add another search engine of your choice, but then the other way around of course). Nothing involves completely uninstalling the browser since the offending stuff are just one or two browser settings you need to change, nothing more nothing less.

I have followed instructions on how to remove it, and it came back again after reboots.  I know all about the about:config trick, and it worked, until the next reboot, when Plus! Network took over again.  That's where I got a little angry, which being a logical person you are, you can understand that.  Your instructions were the same exact thing I did though and still the problem persisted.  That is where I get angry, and when I get angry, I post things, and barely remember it until the next day, such as now

quote:
PS: Completely formatting your computer would have worked too in that regards, or even buying a new computer.

Reformatting is a last resort.  I don't like doing that, takes me weeks to get my computer back to the way I like it, and with all the audio software and their settings, I would rather not do that, because they don't copy over easily.

quote:
To be honest, as a computer technician having access to "government powered erasers" (whatever that is), this is something I'd expect you to know.

I do know quite a bit...

quote:
Also the sentence "I even uninstalled the sponsor program from the control panel" puzzles me a bit because you let it seem like you are a knowledgable computer technician but at the same time it's like you're saying you're very surprised that in order to uninstall a program you need to go to the control panel>add/remove programs.

...but this whole thing puzzled me.  Some programs come with uninstallers, this one didn't seem to have one.  Not saying it did or did not, but I could not find it easily.  Also, the government powered part, I have no idea where that came from (It is government "quality" deletion program.  The program rewrites the data that is deleted 8-12 times to overwrite it completely)

quote:
Thus, no matter how bad your experience might have been or still is, some stuff you say doesn't quite add up though. (note: I'm not saying you haven't experienced all what you said though)

Again my experience:
>I installed Plus (Unticked Check boxes...I have experience with those, I don't like add-on software like that)
>Rebooted (Normally do, it's a good practice)
>MSN Started up, but could not log in for some odd reason (I hear MSN blocks Plus from time to time.  Is this true?)
>I go to Firefox to look up my problem and homepage was changed and so was search bar.
>I figure I will deal with it later, and I look up my problem, got fed up, uninstalled it, that was that.
>After uninstalling it, Plus! was still taking over Firefox and IE
>about:Config and the world is good after changing a few settings
>Uninstalled; Rebooted; Plus is back in firefox
>Uninstall sponsor program as recommended by friend using the control panel Program and Feature menu
>Change settings, scan computer, Spybot finds PUPS, Reboot, all is well
--Several Weeks Later--
Back to Plus Taking over firefox and IE

AND HOW!?

Also, I don't get offended, as you can probably tell.  I Just have a compTIA A+ certification for Hardware and Software.  Nothing special, Just a stepping stone to better things if I want to get further certifications.  If National Guard members allow me to work on their computers with confidential documents, I must be ok!  Things like this though baffle me and this is the whole point of why I am confused and why I am angry

If I uninstalled Messenger Plus, and that sponsor toolbar program, and deleted all the folders from Yuna, and the toolbar, then WHY is it still bothering me weeks later?  That is what my problem is, and why I consider this malware!

I appreciate your input CookieRevised and I appreciate your criticism towards my knowledge, but this is why I am confused.  This is why I reinstalled my browser, is to get rid of any trace of Plus network because all the other instructions did not work!

That is all!
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 12-27-2011 at 04:21 AM

quote:
This is why I reinstalled my browser, is to get rid of any trace of Plus network because all the other instructions did not work!

Reinstalling would have no affect as Plus! would surely have continued to change your settings after it was reinstalled, right?

quote:
Reformatting is a last resort.

I think Cookie was just demonstrating that you don't need to go to such extreme lengths to remove the software

quote:
Some programs come with uninstallers, this one didn't seem to have one.

If a program doesn't have an uninstaller .exe file, Add/Remove Programs is the correct way to uninstall it (In fact, it's the preferred way even if the programs does have an uninstaller

quote:
The program rewrites the data that is deleted 8-12 times to overwrite it completely

Such programs are widely available, but are only useful if the data being erased is what is causing the problem. As stated several times, the problem is a couple of settings in Firefox, not with Plus! changing settings (It is not uncommon for Firefox profiles to become corrupt. This would explain why settings were not being saved in the browser)

quote:
I Just have a compTIA A+ certification for Hardware and Software

Qualifications mean nothing if you do not know how to do something. I have a many qualifications, yet wouldn't say I know how to create 3D graphics for example.

As I said, this is more likely due to the fact Firefox either was not saving the settings correctly.

quote:
(I hear MSN blocks Plus from time to time.  Is this true?)

No, whilst Messenger Plus is not exactly and official add-on/extension, Microsoft for the most part allow it. Patchou (the creator) was even an MVP and worked closely with the Windows Live Messenger Team I understand.

quote:
Spybot finds PUPS
Potentials Unwanted Programs (PUPS) are unfortunately how Plus sometimes gets flagged. Plus is not adware, spyware or any other sort of malware (it's freeware). Unfortunately, the sponsor programs sometimes get flagged as unwanted for the very reason they are sponsor programs. Whilst the past sponsor was widely considered to be malware by many antivirus programs, it was in fact a very stripped down version of the sponsor software that followed strict rules. The new sponsor was supposed to alleviate the criticism over the sponsor and be more manageable and also related to the product.

I can't speak for Nathalie, but I haven't seen the sponsor revert settings. I think it all calls for some more testing. Sirby, if you could provide us with the download link to the installer you used like Cookie has mentioned, we could possibly track the issue down. It may be a simple error in the installer and we could then report it on your behalf to be fixed.

I can see how you may think the program is potentially harmful from your point of view, but remember we are long-time users and have had to disprove rumours of malware repeatedly. Thats why some of the things we say may seem a but rude. So send in the installer link and I'll take a look myself first and ask others to do so

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-27-2011 at 04:57 AM

Thanks for responding and being so understanding, Sirby. Hang on for a big ass reply post though :p

quote:
I have followed instructions on how to remove it, and it came back again after reboots.  I know all about the about:config trick, and it worked, until the next reboot, when Plus! Network took over again.
It is also stated to first uninstall the Plus! Network sponsor (or browser companion), otherwise it will of course overwrite your undoings again, after that you can manually set the browsers settings back to what they were.

quote:
...but this whole thing puzzled me.  Some programs come with uninstallers, this one didn't seem to have one.  Not saying it did or did not, but I could not find it easily.
It does/should have an uninstaller listed in the add/remove programs. But I can understand that you migt miss it if you don't know what to look for (the name I mean) in a long list of programs.

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Also, the government powered part, I have no idea where that came from (It is government "quality" deletion program.  The program rewrites the data that is deleted 8-12 times to overwrite it completely)
Ah, ok. Though I don't know of any existing govermental "quality" erase method that uses 8 to 14 passes. The ones I know all use at max 7 passes or something, in a very specific way. But even using only a few passes with simple random bytes is virtually already more than enough on modern HDDs, even according to the infamous Mr. Gutmann. All those other methods were valid decades ago when the HDDs didn't had such a huge data-density per platter. And on SSDs the principal of overwriting with data doesn't work at all - those require a completely different technique. Either way, you don't need any of those to remove something from your HDD to get rid of mal/software. Simply use the uninstaller and/or delete the offending files and they're gone; they wont revive by magic.

Anyways, using such an eraser is like using a hammer to remove a piece of software; it will work (lol), but it is seriously overkill (like buying a new PC, like formatting, and even like reinstalling the browser). But anyways, I'm going seriously off topic here :p
PS: just fyi, and you probably already use it, but imho the best quality eraser program there is, is eraser; as a bonus it is also completely free. It does contain several (if not all) known official govermental erasing algorithms.

[/OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Again my experience:
1>I installed Plus (Unticked Check boxes...I have experience with those, I don't like add-on software like that)
2>Rebooted (Normally do, it's a good practice)
3>MSN Started up, but could not log in for some odd reason (I hear MSN blocks Plus from time to time.  Is this true?)
4>I go to Firefox to look up my problem and homepage was changed and so was search bar.
5>I figure I will deal with it later, and I look up my problem, got fed up, uninstalled it, that was that.
6>After uninstalling it, Plus! was still taking over Firefox and IE
7>about:Config and the world is good after changing a few settings
8>Uninstalled; Rebooted; Plus is back in firefox
9>Uninstall sponsor program as recommended by friend using the control panel Program and Feature menu
10>Change settings, scan computer, Spybot finds PUPS, Reboot, all is well
--Several Weeks Later--
11>Back to Plus Taking over firefox and IE

Thanks for the very clear list. Though, a few comments to set things in perspective and maybe explain a bit what might have happened:
3: Messenger does not block Plus! in any way. In fact, there is a silent agreement to allow it. What can be blocking Plus! are programs like SweetIM, Smiley Central and such things (which are, believe me, a far bigger annoyance than the current Plus! sponsors). See a couple of those sticky threads on the forums.
5: I presume you mean you uninstalled Messenger Plus!?
6: Messenger Plus! does not hijack your browser in any way. It's the optional sponsors which might change your search preferences. There is a massive big difference there. Messenger Plus! and its sponsors (in the form of the browser companion, and/or search engines) are completely different programs. So, by uninstalling Messenger Plus! you haven't removed/uninstalled anything related to the browser search engines or toolbar.
7: Will not work if you don't uninstall the browser companion first.
8: Again, Messenger Plus! has got nothing to do with the search engine changes; those come from the sponsor and/or toolbar.

quote:
If I uninstalled Messenger Plus, and that sponsor toolbar program, and deleted all the folders from Yuna, and the toolbar, then WHY is it still bothering me weeks later?  That is what my problem is, and why I consider this malware!
There might be other causes too though. I hate to say it, but maybe you did not completely uninstalled the sponsor program properly?... And another possible cause, which a friend of mine got: it's stupid but for some reason 'something' decided to put back old files on his computer, which included his 'old' FireFox profile settings, which of course contained the browser search changes. Maybe it was a backup, Windows own history system thingie (forgot what it is called), even maybe FireFox itself, or whatever. Either way, that was the real reason, not Messenger Plus! taking things over by magic again after everything, including the sponsors, were removed (but of course he claimed it was).

quote:
I appreciate your input CookieRevised and I appreciate your criticism towards my knowledge, but this is why I am confused.  This is why I reinstalled my browser, is to get rid of any trace of Plus network because all the other instructions did not work!

That is all!
I see, well much thanks for the input though!
I assume asking to reinstall Plus! again with its browser companion stuff and redo all the steps would be a bit too much?

Though, may I ask you try my instructions in my previous post: the one which asks to track down the HTTP response headers in order to see which exact setup file it was you have downloaded? You don't need to install anything Plus! related for that, just re-download it.

Thanks
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Sirby on 12-27-2011 at 05:40 AM

Thanks CookieRevised,  I have a bit of a post for Spunky, here, so, please standby!
==========

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Reinstalling would have no affect as Plus! would surely have continued to change your settings after it was reinstalled, right?

Actually, Reinstalling would have a positive effect! It would delete my profile, the profile in %appdata%, would be clear, so plus would not exist there! It would be a clean profile!

quote:
I think Cookie was just demonstrating that you don't need to go to such extreme lengths to remove the software

I understood that after a while...thanks!

quote:
If a program doesn't have an uninstaller .exe file, Add/Remove Programs is the correct way to uninstall it (In fact, it's the preferred way even if the programs does have an uninstaller

Right...And I was letting cookie know that is how I uninstalled the sponsor toolbar and software!

quote:
Qualifications mean nothing if you do not know how to do something. I have a many qualifications, yet wouldn't say I know how to create 3D graphics for example.

Right...I know what I am doing.  I didn't intend to rub in anything, I was just mentioning, I have that... That is me saying I do not know everything, because, guess what, I don't and I know you don't!  Learn from experience!  I worked in an IT Department for a couple years as an apprentice, so yes qualifications mean nothing, but I do happen to know what I am doing!

Rude much?

quote:
No, whilst Messenger Plus is not exactly and official add-on/extension, Microsoft for the most part allow it. Patchou (the creator) was even an MVP and worked closely with the Windows Live Messenger Team I understand.

Thank you for that informative feedback.  My friend from Netherlands says Microsoft does, so I thank you for this piece of information!

quote:
Thats why some of the things we say may seem a but rude.

No it is totally alright, but you totally sounded very rude toward me personally.  You are all defending your software, and I understand that!  I would Defend Linux Mint all day long if I could, but since it does not run games, people dislike it.  Oh well~

============

Now, Thank you so very much CookieRevised!  You are very informative, and may have answered my question!

This is what I did when I downloaded it!
[Image: 88IfB.png]
That was the same link I clicked several weeks ago.  So I may be leading you in circles, which I am good at.

I ran the Installer And unchecked those two boxes that popped up!
[Image: EsB6r.png]

Then the software did it's download, Now, something else happened last time I installed it, and downloaded it...

Another box popped up showing a toolbar for Plus! Network.  it had 3 check boxes, and I unchecked them both, and I had to click another agreement window, and I did, because it was a messenger plus agreement (I read it carefully, after all, good practice) And It proceeded to download.

It was installed, Would not let me in and all hell broke loose.

This time...well...now I have Plus, and no sign of the Plus! network showing up.

So it's possible I got a bad installer the last time?  Maybe?

quote:
There might be other causes too though. I hate to say it, but maybe you did not completely uninstalled the sponsor program properly?... And another possible cause, which a friend of mine got: it's stupid but for some reason 'something' decided to put back old files on his computer, which included his 'old' FireFox profile settings, which of course contained the browser search changes. Maybe it was a backup, Windows own history system thingie (forgot what it is called), even maybe FireFox itself, or whatever. Either way, that was the real reason, not Messenger Plus! taking things over by magic again after everything, including the sponsors, were removed (but of course he claimed it was).
Could have been windows reverting things.  I noticed Windows is capable of doing things like that, But this is my first time witnessing it, doing it on its own.  Normally I request to revert back to working state, not let Windows do what it wants.

quote:
I see, well much thanks for the input though!
I assume asking to reinstall Plus! again with its browser companion stuff and redo all the steps would be a bit too much?
I did reinstall it, but if you want me to install with the checkboxes off, I can do that again, but not tonight.  I have work in the morning and I am already up later than I wanted to be.

Also, scans did bring up traces of SweetIM...Could that have been laced into the messenger plus I previously downloaded?  I got it from the same link, and the same site as I just did now?

OFF TOPIC...well...sort of
I apologize for coming off so rude.  On Xmas eve, morning before work, which was non stop busy, My Internet Radio broadcast computers drive died (heard the thud sound and nothing worked) So Most of that evening, and Xmas day was spent trying to fix that, and then I hop on my computer again after all was well to see Plus! Network taking over my computer.  No sleep, after being up at 6 on Xmas eve, I was, to say, a little pissed off, and took my anger out here.  No excuse, just what I did.  I am sure you all have had your share of bad days, I am just like a shaken up bottle, and I explode when it gets too much.

I am normally not that rude, I can take criticism thanks to Graphic Design classes I had.

Anyway, I will do things based as you said again, because I trust you know what you are doing, having the largest experience of installing plus, and I certainly appreciate your responses much.

PS. I do have eraser, and another one for linux...works well!
RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-27-2011 at 09:50 AM

quote:
This is what I did when I downloaded it!
[Image: 88IfB.png]
That was the same link I clicked several weeks ago.  So I may be leading you in circles, which I am good at.
Yeah, it doesn't show the real complete link. For that you need those HTTP headers.

quote:
I ran the Installer And unchecked those two boxes that popped up!
[Image: EsB6r.png]

Then the software did it's download, Now, something else happened last time I installed it, and downloaded it...

Another box popped up showing a toolbar for Plus! Network.  it had 3 check boxes, and I unchecked them both, and I had to click another agreement window, and I did, because it was a messenger plus agreement (I read it carefully, after all, good practice) And It proceeded to download.
The one showing in your screenshot here is the 'PN' version.
The one with the three checkboxes is the 'MIX' version (see Menthix' screenshot earlier in this thread) or the 'LK' version.
'PN', 'MIX' and 'LK' are the subdirectories from wich the setup is downloaded. It depends on your local what flavor you get

The only difference between them is the optional sponsor which gets downloaded when you leave the boxes checked. Messenger Plus! itself is bit by bit the same.

This said, I have installed all the versions of the setup again and again and again and again, in a fully sandboxed and fully controlled and monitored environment and have found nothing to be installed (sponsor-wise) when you uncheck the boxes. I tried with different IPs too, to no evail.

quote:
This time...well...now I have Plus, and no sign of the Plus! network showing up.

So it's possible I got a bad installer the last time?  Maybe?
Always possible. But it is however very strange that this would only happen to a few people and never ever when we (official testers, translators and other oldtime users) test the stuff...

quote:
Also, scans did bring up traces of SweetIM...Could that have been laced into the messenger plus I previously downloaded?  I got it from the same link, and the same site as I just did now?
That being installed (at one point) could indeed be the source of many troubles like Messenger Plus! not working (this is for sure) and even maybe other unwanted stuff like browser companions. SweetIM, and especially SmileyCentral, were/are much more intrusive than Messenger Plus!, and they hijack stuff too without things being optional.

But SweetIM or SmileyCentral don't have anything to do with Messenger Plus! (other than that they are all addons for Windows Live Messenger). They are made by completely different companies. They are even incompatible in many cases. So they are absolutely not bundled with eachother in any way.

quote:
I got it from the same link, and the same site as I just did now?
With "it", do you mean you got SweetIM from http://www.msgplus.net ?? If so, that's extremely strange and then they (Yuna/Kimahri, responsible for Plus!) should fix that immediatly.

-----------------------------------------------

quote:
OFF TOPIC...well...sort of
I apologize for coming off so rude.
No need to apologize though. No rudeness detected here, just direct language with some frustration in it. And I do understand the frustrations computers can bring (I broke my fair share of keyboards too). Also I post in a very direct manner too (as you can tell) so I know how it is to be misunderstood for being rude while it isn't your intent to do so.

PS: funny you said you learned to take criticism thanks to Graphic Design classes. A mate of mine is graphical designer and he simply totally hates the 'polite' and 'carefull' comments. He gets even mad when you are polite :p He always wants to hear the cold hard truth strait in his face when it comes down to his designs; and in my own company and organization we do the same thing, so....
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Zy0n7 on 12-28-2011 at 06:47 PM

Just had to register to post this because I'm having the same sort of problem.

I downloaded Messenger Plus! Selected NO to any other program, but the toolbar installed anyway. Is that even legal? Well, moving on.

Didn't want the toolbar so I uninstalled it with the Remove programs functionality within windows 7, and from Google Chrome itself.

Bar seemed to be gone but... not completely.
The search engine for contextual menus, right click, quick searches etc is permanently locked to the plus network one. I can change it, but it reverts back.

I'd also like to know about that 'browser helper' process that I didn't have before and I now do. If I uninstalled the sponsor program why is something still running without my permission? What is it and how do I get rid of it?

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by matty on 12-29-2011 at 06:18 AM

As posted before we need to know what set up is being downloaded  so the developers can track and fix the issue. Just saying it is happening doesn't help narrow it down. There are quite a few different flavours of the set up.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Zy0n7 on 12-29-2011 at 09:51 AM

It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. As for the full name I don't know since I uninstalled it, but it's probably the one that comes packed with the latest Messenger Plus update as of today.

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 12-29-2011 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zy0n7
I'd also like to know about that 'browser helper' process that I didn't have before and I now do. If I uninstalled the sponsor program why is something still running without my permission? What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Browswer helper is a free coupon finder that comes along with with the Toolbar. You can simply go to Add/Remove and uninstall it.

If problems with Search persists after 'browser helper' is removed, please let us know.”

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 12-29-2011 at 03:28 PM

quote:
It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. .

Then if you chose to update Messenger Plus!, the installation process should be transparent and you would still be able to choose whether or not to download the toolbar.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 12-29-2011 at 07:53 PM

There are too many posts here that specifically say they unticked the sponsor box for it all to be mistakes I feel. For all we know there is a serious problem with a certain flavour of the sponsor with certain configurations and it should be looked into. Unfortunately, pre-Yuna, I might never have come to this conclusion, but as the past shows, mistakes happen. Yuna, please check that everything is ok before we put our reputation on the line defending you. I know Sunshine and Nathalie both know about this thread and so have a feeling that the powers that be know as well. The only response we've had back is that it must be user error, but I am beginning to have doubts. While we've been telling users to provide us with information about the downloaded setup files etc, it would also be nice to get information from the providers.

If it is not a software error, then we can continue to do our jobs, but we can't just continuously fob people off with "You might not have unticked the boxes"

[Image: msn_status.jpg]

RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 12-31-2011 at 01:04 PM

quote:
[..SNIPPED..]

Bar seemed to be gone but... not completely.
The search engine for contextual menus, right click, quick searches etc is permanently locked to the plus network one. I can change it, but it reverts back.

You answered your own question why you can't change the quick searches setting in your browser (see bold quoted text). Like I and others have already said before in two or three posts in this thread: you _first_ need to _completely_ uninstall the sponsor/searchbar/browser companion!!
It is of no use to change any browser settings manual as long as you did not uninstalled the complete sponsor.

--------

Note: I'm not saying the uninstall couldn't be made a lot user friendly and transparant though. There is obviously still a lot of work to do with this. Please take note Yuna!

quote:
It was through the auto-update from Messenger Plus, it just let me know there was a new version available etc. As for the full name I don't know since I uninstalled it, but it's probably the one that comes packed with the latest Messenger Plus update as of today.
I'm afraid that means nothing and is of no help. Again, please see my post where I explain what we exactly need and how to provide it:

See bold paragraph at the bottom of the post: CookieRevised's reply to How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?

;)

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 01-01-2012 at 03:39 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

Try installing the latest version of the Messenger Plus! software from the official website and let me know if everything is working ok.  Please let me know if there are any incidents (such as described in this thread) of the installer not responding to your choices.       Thanks!!!!

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 01-01-2012 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Try installing the latest version of the Messenger Plus! software from the official website and let me know if everything is working ok.  Please let me know if there are any incidents (such as described in this thread) of the installer not responding to your choices.
As far as I can check only the 'PN' flavor of the setup file has been updated. What about the 'MIX' flavor and slightly older 'LK' flavor of verion 5.10.750?
RE: RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Zy0n7 on 01-02-2012 at 07:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised[size=1
[..SNIPPED..][/size]

[...]Like I and others have already said before in two or three posts in this thread: you _first_ need to _completely_ uninstall the sponsor/searchbar/browser companion!!
It is of no use to change any browser settings manual as long as you did not uninstalled the complete sponsor.

;)

In my very first post:

quote:
Didn't want the toolbar so I uninstalled it with the Remove programs functionality within windows 7, and from Google Chrome itself

Likewise if it was a problem of not having removed the companion program, I did too after posting on this thread and being told about it, with the same result. Stuff reverted back.

Please don't assume no one reads and tries possible solutions before complaining. I did, and it reverted back. It is obvious there is something wrong that sets on your pc as if it was malware, perhaps with only one flavour of the build that I do not know. But there's enough people complaining to not brush it off with 'you didn't read' after you having not read my very first post.

And yes, the installation and uninstall cold be far more clearer. Even if I wanted to have it (which I don't) why does the bar also install the browser companion? Without notice? And what's more, why does it have a separate uninstall that I wasn't let know off in the first place? It's almost like whoever made this clearly didn't want people to remove their software easily.

I can't be more specific as to which build I've used since I did not download manually but withing Messenger Plus itself, and in my attempts to get rid of the bar I uninstalled completely anything Messenger Plus related. I could try again, but at the moment I can live without Messenger Plus I don't want to risk getting the bar again.

At any rate, I was finally able to change the chrome settings for good, I had to use Revo uninstaller to 100% remove all traces of the bar (there was a ton of stuff left in the computer after the normal windows uninstall), and after that everything seems to be fine again.

I'm no computer tech so I can't give more details, but all I said is true and is my (horrible) experience with this bar; please don't be so quick to discredit users in the future when there's a chance the software provider is the one at fault.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 01-02-2012 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Please don't assume no one reads and tries possible solutions before complaining. I did, and it reverted back.
Stuff will only revert back if the sponsor program is still running.
The sponsor program will still be running if you didn't uninstalled it properly and completely.
You even said yourself that the Browser Companion process was running, so, again, it obviously was _not_ uninstalled properly and completely as suggested in posts in this thread.

So, please do not accuse me of assuming things or discredit users. I only reply with explanations to what happened and why it happened. Stuff does not revert back magically out of itself.

And talking about (not) reading posts:
quote:
I can't be more specific as to which build I've used since I did not download manually but withing Messenger Plus itself, and in my attempts to get rid of the bar I uninstalled completely anything Messenger Plus related. I could try again, but at the moment I can live without Messenger Plus I don't want to risk getting the bar again.
Yes you can be more specific if you want though.
- In my posts I explained that you need to manually download Plus! with the given link in order to provide more details. Weither you updated via the update feature in Plus! doesn't matter for this.
- I also explained that you do not need to install Plus! or even execute the setup in order to check the final link, heck you don't even need to finish the download.

But I don't blame you for not providing more detailed info if you don't wish to do so! I can perfectly understand the frustration and reluctance with stuff like this.

;)
RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by tarqeq on 01-07-2012 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Then you have _not_ uninstalled the Plus! Network and searchbar sponsor programs. Only simply changing those settings in your browser is of no use. You need to properly uninstall the Searchbar and Network sponsors first, using the proper way (add/remove programs etc).

I find it somewhat offensive that I'm taken for a complete idiot who has installed a bunch of things without being aware of what's actually getting istalled and have no knowledge of anything computer related.

I may not be a supergeek who speaks compputer and script fluently, but I am however nerd enough to actually know how to istall and unistall correctly, and that includes having brain enough to read the screen and tic/untick boxes.

So how on earth can I uninstall something that is not, nor have ever been installed on my computer?
And if it has, it has not been authorized by me and it's well hidden because it doesn't show up anywhere on my computer so I can unstall it.
I can't unistall something something that ain't there.

Either way, I'm done using msgplus and msn, unistalling both and switching to skype. I just hope that wil fix the problem.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by bfwndtd on 01-07-2012 at 07:11 PM

I am having the same problem.  I suspect that when I say I unchecked all boxes giving permission to install sponsor programs I will be told that if I had unchecked them, none would have been installed, therefore I did not uncheck them, and if I will go to add/remove programs I can uninstall the sponsored program.  Well I tried to do that, but since I never agreed to install the sponsor, the sponsor was not installed and cannot be uninstalled...so how the heck did this Plus! Network search engine get installed?  I took a screen shot but don't know how to attache it to this post.  the "remove sponsor" button is greyed out and next to it it says, "Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

So just what am i supposed to uninstall to get rid of this hijacking search engine?????????

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Spunky on 01-07-2012 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bfwndtd
"Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

Circle Development was the old sponsor and I believe it is no longer used. Where did you download Messenger Plus! from and which version?
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 01-07-2012 at 10:05 PM

tarqeq,

I'm not accusing you of being an idiot or whatever...

...however, may I stress on the fact that in your post you have not spoken of uninstalling anything via the proper procedure ('add/remove programs') in any way!!! You only said you have manually changed the browser's search settings.

Hence my answer (which is repeating what has been said before) that simply changing the settings is not enough; you first need to uninstall the sponsor programs properly, otherwise the sponsor program will simply change your changes back.

quote:
I am having the same problem.  I suspect that when I say I unchecked all boxes giving permission to install sponsor programs I will be told that if I had unchecked them, none would have been installed, therefore I did not uncheck them, and if I will go to add/remove programs I can uninstall the sponsored program.  Well I tried to do that, but since I never agreed to install the sponsor, the sponsor was not installed and cannot be uninstalled...so how the heck did this Plus! Network search engine get installed?  I took a screen shot but don't know how to attache it to this post.  the "remove sponsor" button is greyed out and next to it it says, "Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

So just what am i supposed to uninstall to get rid of this hijacking search engine?????????
To attach a file like a screenshot, you click on the "EDIT" button in the right bottom corner of your existing post, or on the "PREVIEW" button beneath the thread for a new post.

In there you'll see a line Attachment and a button called "BROWSE". Click that BROWSE button to select a file from your hard disk.

After that you click on "POST REPLY".

---------

The grayed out menu item in the uninstaller of Plus! is for the (very) old and long depricted sponsor from CiD. It is not used anymore, but that menu item still exists in the uninstaller for backwards compatibility and because that old sponsor did not have its own uninstaller listed in "add/remove programs". It will only be activated when you have the old CiD sponsor installed (eg: from an old Plus! version for example).

---------

The currently used sponsors have their own uninstallers listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" list. Which they are depends on what kind of Plus! setup you have used (there are several variations). In various posts in this thread it is explained where you will find the uninstallers for these new sponsors. eg: search in the Add/Remove Programs list for "Browser Companion", "Browser Helper", "Messenger Plus! Smartbar" or "Linkury Smartbar".

For a bit more details see here and here.
Note that you need to close all your browser sessions to uninstall.

After uninstalling you probably also need to manually change your browser search settings back as explained here or here.

If it still fails contact info [at] plusnetwork.com
RE: RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by bfwndtd on 01-08-2012 at 03:11 AM

quote:
quote:
"Messenger Plus! Live is currently installed without the optional sponsor program from Circle Development."

Circle Development was the old sponsor and I believe it is no longer used. Where did you download Messenger Plus! from and which version?

i downloaded Plus here: http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20101012/PN/MsgPlusLive-490.exe

When I look in Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs, none of the programs you've listed appear there. 

oops.  Browser Companion was there and I uninstalled it.  let's see if that fixes the problem.  I won't know for another month which is how long it takes before it hijacks the Google search bar.
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by generalace on 01-25-2012 at 06:51 AM

Believe I found the issue - and without the argument. I just created this account in order to let you know of it.

- Completely uninstalled msgPlus!, which should have removed everything.
- Double and triple checked add/remove programs and it was clear.
- Firefox search bars continued to be hijacked into using the Live! web search, rather than my preference of Google no matter how many times I utilized about:config.
- Went into program files (x86).
- Found a folder, even after msgLive! was deleted that said "Messenger Plus! Live" or something to that effect.
- Went into it, and found the program that was causing the problem.

It appears that it just did not adequately uninstall all areas that it was in.

I'll be the first to admit that I installed the sponsor program, and the toolbar, due to my computer lagging and sending me all the way to the install screen in one too few clicks.

Hope this helps.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by DL84 on 01-29-2012 at 12:51 PM

Ok this is getting really annoying..i removed everything from "plus!" with the add/remove feature, even double checked with CCleaner, but still when i type in a word in the adress bar in firefox to search for it automatically redirects to the plus network..also when searching in the registry there are still traces of it...we're living in the year 2012 and this is still happening? wow..

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by generalace on 02-01-2012 at 10:53 PM

Nevermind, it's back.

Someone fix this crap! If I choose to uninstall it, it should be uninstalled.

If no help can be given by those of Messenger Plus! Live, I guess I will have to find a way to get it marked as a virus.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by QueenArachnia on 02-04-2012 at 04:41 PM

There is DEFINITELY something wrong with this thing.

I too had the issue that the sponsor was highjacking my homepage and drop-down search bar. So I figured I'd uninstall and reinstall Messengerplus! carefully make absolutely sure that I hadnt installed the sponsor. I uninstalled everything.

So then I reinstalled it and the sponsor did not re-appear on my browser. Until I decided to use Internet Explorer (I use it very rarely for the odd site that appears better on it) one day and there it was, my home page and drop-down search bar now the sponsor.

So I uninstalled the whole lot last night, every thing and said never again will I install Messengerplus even though Ive been using it for years. (as you can see I joined in 03)

Just this morning, even with Messengerplus! OUT of my MSN, guess what magically appeared in my drop-down search box!

Your sponsor.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 02-05-2012 at 09:30 AM

As has been explained in this thread, uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger Plus! has nothing to do with the "sponsor".    Did you follow the instruction for removing the toolbar and Plus! Network here?     

http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html

Scroll down to How do I remove the Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar customized Web Search?

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by QueenArachnia on 02-08-2012 at 03:37 PM

Yes I sure did, and oddly it kept re-appearing and when I went to remove it from there again, it did not show up. I wish I was joking.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by matty on 02-08-2012 at 05:54 PM

It is apparent there is a serious issue. The installer should be revamped and hell while you're at it. Make it an offline installer!

I sincerely apologize for my earlier comments because if a couple people experienced the issue you could chalk it up to not reading the installer but when this many people are having an issue you need to sit back and really reevaluate your presumptuous comments.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 02-08-2012 at 07:07 PM

@Matty

Hi! Offline installers are being planned for both Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! for Skype.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by QueenArachnia on 02-12-2012 at 02:16 AM

Oh hey there guys. I just had my firefox updated before starting it up, and guess what is there. Plus! Network. And the smart bar doesnt appear in my list of programs. I no longer have Messenger plus! Installed. Ill try getting rid of it by reinstalling it. *sigh*

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by thisguy on 08-16-2012 at 08:35 AM

I just registered to say that I am also having this issue and I just downloaded this program like last week.  What a mistake. It takes over ALL browsers not just Firefox but including Chrome also.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Penguinne on 08-18-2012 at 07:23 PM

I just registered to say that I previously installed Messenger Plus! on my computer, but was unhappy to see the SmartBar and the search engine installed even though I very distinctly remember unchecking the boxes for both. Not only this, but last night I completely redid my computer (got a new hard drive so I installed Windows from scratch) and even though I have not yet gone through the process of installing all my old programs (I have not downloaded Plus! or even any of Live's programs yet), whenever I open google chrome, my default page is "http://www.plusnetwork.com/?sp=hp&t=a0806". I'm confused and wondering how this got onto my computer already, when I haven't even downloaded anything Plus! related since I redid my computer?

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by foaly on 08-18-2012 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Penguinne
I just registered to say that I previously installed Messenger Plus! on my computer, but was unhappy to see the SmartBar and the search engine installed even though I very distinctly remember unchecking the boxes for both. Not only this, but last night I completely redid my computer (got a new hard drive so I installed Windows from scratch) and even though I have not yet gone through the process of installing all my old programs (I have not downloaded Plus! or even any of Live's programs yet), whenever I open google chrome, my default page is "http://www.plusnetwork.com/?sp=hp&t=a0806". I'm confused and wondering how this got onto my computer already, when I haven't even downloaded anything Plus! related since I redid my computer?
Did you log into Google Chrome?
Because it will sync your settings...
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by dannylovyork on 09-02-2012 at 10:47 PM

I definately didn't install the sponsor software. No doubt about that.

Anyway, uinstalled then reinstalled, as advised. Nup. Just did an address bar search, and it was plus network. Good stuff

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by eriktheviking on 11-03-2012 at 02:38 PM

1. Go to Internet options (home page) and delete Plus network's address. 2.Substitute "disable Plus forever" or any other irrevelent rubbish and click OK. When you next open your official browser you will get the message Internet Explorer cannot open this page instead  of the infuriating "Plus network" and its infuriating Adverts!  All you then have to do is click on the task bar for your usual website.  I appreciate this operation is not the ultimate demolition of Plus but at least it prevents their website appearing initially when you select your Homepage.    Hope this alleviates the aggro  somewhat ,bearing in mind "every lttle helps !!"

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Cani Lupine on 01-14-2013 at 07:05 AM

Hello,

I just now noticed I have the same problem with Messenger Plus for Skype. I am 1,000,000% absolutely, positively, completely and utterly certain that I unchecked all boxes for sponsor programs, toolbars, and default search engines, because I never, ever install the fat that goes along with programs like these, and I have found that my default search engine in both Firefox and Chrome have been changed to Plus Search without my consent. Now, I'm going to need to spend extra time to remove this malware from my computer.

I have removed Messenger Plus for Skype from my computer, and will never be using any software from Yuna again.

The repeated denial of this problem by forum staff is extremely disheartening and very unprofessional. It's easy to blame the user, but the fact of the matter here is that you guys are putting out malware. Plain and simple.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 01-14-2013 at 10:11 PM

Cani Lupine, Thanks for your report.

But I want to make 1 thing extremely clear with all this:

The 'forum staff' and/or elite/long time members don't have anything to do with this!!!!
They are volunteers, nor payed, nor endorsed in any way to give the support they give. If there are problems with the software like this, it is Yuna which is to blame!
PS: if you read a bit more on the forums, also in different threads, you'll see that the 'forum staff' and/or elite/long time members yank Yuna's chains quite a lot about these issues. Both by using these forums as via private emails. Unfortunatly, we can't do anything more either.
(and quite frankly this is also the reason why so much long time members have left already)

This said, there are/were situations before where it is/was indeed the user whom did not read the sponsor install screens and (accidently) left the sponsor boxes ticked. Or the uninstall procedure (albight not always easy for everybody) wasn't performed completely or in the correct way (anti-viri blocking it, processes still running and thus blocked from removing, etc). Those are facts.

However, only recently, even with unticking these boxes, sponsor stuff got still installed. But again, this is happening only recently.

So just dismissing everything said before by the forum staff and elite/long time members as "unprofessional" is a bit uncalled for.
But also blaming forum staff and elite/long time members for putting out malware is completely uncalled for and completely wrong to do so (certainly not a "fact of the matter" as you say). Again, this forum, all its staff and long time members, don't have anything to do with publishing MsgPlus nor its byproducts.

Let's just hope Yuna (who is the only one responsible for this) fixes these major issues asap...... if they didn't already (hence the reason why it is extremely important to only download from the official site and not some 'old' copy from somewhere else). The longer they wait and the more they fail with this, the more users will leave and the more MsgPlus' reputation will be permanently damaged.

;-)

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by nephilim123 on 01-30-2013 at 07:59 AM

So let's see now. There are major problems with the online installer (i can't even download it because our proxy prevents exe downloads) that prevent users from installing the software for about 7 months now? Next to that, months of problems with changing system settings while users opt out?

So what exactly does work then..? Users complains are not enough to make an offline installer? (It can not be that hard because you did it before..) And not important enough to fix the settings thing, that can be described as spyware because you fail to fix it?

I'm not sure what happend to you guys.. MsgPlus was once a very good application.. And you managed to destroy it within months.. Or in other words, DO SOMETHING! Like everyone on this forum is asking you to!

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Nathalie on 01-30-2013 at 03:58 PM

The online installer is industry standard and actually weighs less than an offline one.   It also promises installation of the latest software and not any outdated version like the offline version.

Nothing is changed or installed without user's permission given by checking/unchecking the checkboxes.

The installation process is transparent so that you can opt in or out.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by CookieRevised on 01-30-2013 at 11:57 PM

Nathalie, in all fairness:

quote:
The online installer is industry standard
A 'standard' which is seriously frowned upon by many people.
Yes, that type of wrapper and installer is used in many other software packages, but most have questionable motives and most of that (shareware) software is of bad quality. Ask any computer user with some knowledge on the matter and they will all say the same thing.
So, I wont call that a 'standard' at all!
Often (mis)used, yes, but certainly not a 'standard' at all.

quote:
and actually weighs less than an offline one.
That is maybe one of the biggest misconceptions!!!
Online installers are usefull for only a very small percentage of users and only when such installers let you choose a wide variaty of packages (eg: like MS Office offers many different stuff which you don't necessarily need) and when it would otherwise be an installer of like 200MB or something. Only THEN it might be usefull.

But for Plus! it is of no use at all!
Plus! is one package, so everything needs to be downloaded anyways, no matter what. It is also still small enough to be downloaded as one package. (granted, there are still people on very slow connections, but that point is completely mute since they need to download everything anyways with the online installer!!!!)

Moreover, there are more problems with such online installers (eg: hard to rollback to a previous version, for whataver reasons, problems with proxies, like nephilim123 said, high on maintenance, hard to debug, hard to keep track of) than that they would solve anything at all.

And even if other companies use online installers, they ALL also provide a complete package as an offline installer too!

The only thing online installers, in a situation like Plus!, might have over offline installers is that you minimize the load on your servers more since people who don't want to install, wont download the complete thing (although that isn't entirly true either since your online installer already starts to download stuff even if the user hasn't actually started the install procedure).

quote:
The installation process is transparent so that you can opt in or out.
Are you saying that all the problems with the browser addons, the automatically changing browser settings (also the massive problem that the Plus! Windows Service ignores the user's opt in/out choice) and what not, are all solved now?
RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by Teqnine on 02-07-2013 at 04:07 PM

Hello, I too did not accept for anything to be added or changed in my browser but when I open my browser (Chrome) I get two browser windows that open up, one with my original default page and the other with the plusnetwork crap. Well after some digging in the settings of my chrome browser I found an option called "On Start Up" here you have several options, if you tick the third one "Open a specific page or set of pages" then click on "Set pages" Here you can delete the plusnetwork page and only allow your default main page to open. Not sure about firefox or IE but it may be similar. For Chrome this worked for me.

Hope it Helps.

RE: How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox? by olivex on 03-19-2013 at 10:43 PM

There should be no more such arguement now, as adware is no longer an option.