Shoutbox

End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? (/showthread.php?tid=98968)

End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by alegator on 02-26-2012 at 08:15 AM

Check this out:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57385025-93/will...y-windows-8-birth/

RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Mnjul on 02-26-2012 at 08:25 AM

quote:
The highlights: Once Windows 8 comes out, Windows Live apps will get put into a collection of preinstalled applications in "Windows Communications" while "Windows Live ID" will become "Microsoft Account.

So it's just a renaming of the brand I guess.
RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Menthix on 02-26-2012 at 11:02 AM

I would assume there will be a Metro-style Messenger app. The question is if they will still continue to develop the desktop version. I still can't see Metro taking off on desktops, but on the other hand I don't see Microsoft actively developing two different Messenger apps either. They barely manage one new version per year now. :zippy:

Hopefully much will become clear when they release Windows 8 Consumer Preview, on Feb 29.

RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Nathalie on 03-07-2012 at 07:55 AM

@Menthix - do you have a  report/news from Feb. 29?

RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Mnjul on 03-07-2012 at 09:34 AM

Nathalie,

There is a Metro-style IM app called "Messaging" in Windows 8.

A quick googling reveals: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/03/win...ail-and-people.ars

RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Jieff on 03-07-2012 at 01:49 PM

I would not say the end, but there will be some changes. I was at the presentation of Win 8 last year in Anaheim and I talked with the PM in charge of Live.

There is an effort to rewrite some apps (obviously since you can see a Metro Style application in preview) but old win32 apps will still work.

I was able to run WLM 2011 with Plus! on Win8 without any issues.

However, running Plus! on WinRT (the Metro Style part) is a different story and we are working on that.

RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by matty on 03-07-2012 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jieff
I would not say the end, but there will be some changes. I was at the presentation of Win 8 last year in Anaheim and I talked with the PM in charge of Live.

There is an effort to rewrite some apps (obviously since you can see a Metro Style application in preview) but old win32 apps will still work.

I was able to run WLM 2011 with Plus! on Win8 without any issues.

However, running Plus! on WinRT (the Metro Style part) is a different story and we are working on that.
Is Messenger Plus! going to get a metro overhaul? Because right now it looks like Messenger Plus! 2...
RE: RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by Jieff on 03-07-2012 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty

Is Messenger Plus! going to get a metro overhaul? Because right now it looks like Messenger Plus! 2...

Let's just say that we have several things in the pipeline ;)
RE: End of WLM? Or just a renaming of the brand? by deyapretty on 03-11-2012 at 08:59 PM

I assume that new interface will be available only for Windows 8 users... *sighs*