Shoutbox

Log File Hint - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Log File Hint (/showthread.php?tid=99000)

Log File Hint by darkanin on 03-07-2012 at 11:00 PM

hey,i found my old logs in my recovery flash,but i can't seem to remember the hint.i'm pretty sure i made one,though because i remember back then i thought it was bugged because no matter how many times i tried i couldn't see the hint.

i still have the log files,so is there any way for me to see the hint through a way?

RE: Log File Hint by CookieRevised on 03-08-2012 at 06:41 PM

The first time you open an encrypted log, the hint (if present) isn't show. This is by design.

To see the hint you first need to enter a wrong password.
After that you will get a message that the decryption failed and the password dialog will then reappear, this time with the hint visible:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1019503]

Note that the hint is stored in plain unicode text inside the logfile. Thus if you would open up the logfile in a hexeditor (or with Notepad* for that matter), you will also be able to see the hint. This is one way to verify that there is a hint present or not without using MsgPlus!:
* Though make absolutely sure you do not change anything in the file and that you do not (re)save the file or it will become corrupted!

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1019504]
click for full size

RE: Log File Hint by CookieRevised on 03-08-2012 at 06:41 PM

Also, you probably already know this but just to make sure: the password itself is not stored in the logfile. As such it is not possible to extract or retrieve the password in case you've lost it.
Thus it is not possible to decrypt an encrypted logfile without knowing the correct password.