Shoutbox

Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." (/showthread.php?tid=99355)

Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by deyapretty on 06-06-2012 at 01:32 AM

Hello,

I have an older messenger version and everytime I log in, I get this toast message that tells me there's a new version of messenger.
Fine, I know.
But I'm not interested lol.

Is there a way to disable it (preventing it from popping everytime I log in) ?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by xho on 06-06-2012 at 11:48 AM

Same. Only way I've been to partially to disable was to click on it and say not to remind me for a week

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Nathalie on 06-07-2012 at 02:50 PM

Is this toast message coming from Messenger Plus! or from Microsoft?

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by CookieRevised on 06-10-2012 at 06:19 PM

The only proper way to remove that message, if it comes from Messenger itself, is to update!

Any other method you'll find on the net will (I repeat: any other method will) cripple one thing or the other, especially if you use Windows Live Messenger together with plugins like Messenger Plus!, even if you wont notice any difference at first.

Also note that update messages are there for a reason, especially for Windows Live Messenger. Many times it means you should update because there is a security vulnerability. Thus not updating, and especially very old versions, means you _are_ vulnerable to threats/virusses/etc spread by Messenger.

Is there any specific reason why you don't wanna update Windows Live Messenger?

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by deyapretty on 06-18-2012 at 11:10 PM

I don't want to update it because I don't like at all the WLM 2011 layout.
My mum has it on her computer (though she doesn't use it) and when I log in on it, I don't feel comfortable using it.

So there's no way I can disable the toast? Is it a file that I could delete in my system?

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by CookieRevised on 06-19-2012 at 10:43 AM

That new version they speak of is not the WLM 2011 version.
You are suggested to update to the latest 2009 version instead.

So you don't need to update to WLM 2011.
You can still use WLM 2009 (even on Windows Vista/7).

To manually update, simply download the latest vesion on
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/messenger/home
On that page find the link which points to the 'XP' version (which is WLM 2009).
eg: http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Mnjul on 06-19-2012 at 12:56 PM

Cookie -- I'm on the latest 2009 version and I still see that toast (and clicking it launches Windows Live Essentials 2011 installer)

RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by pollolibredegrasa on 06-19-2012 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Cookie -- I'm on the latest 2009 version and I still see that toast (and clicking it launches Windows Live Essentials 2011 installer)

Correct, unfortunately the update is to WLE 2011 as part of a seemingly planned mandatory rollout for all Vista/Win7 users.
quote:
In the coming weeks, customers on Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7 will receive a notification prompting them to upgrade to the new version <...> in a few months, the update will become required for all eligible customers.

Edit: Some of my contacts have been forced to upgrade as of tonight
RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Menthix on 06-19-2012 at 06:51 PM

Setting Messenger to Window XP (SP1 or lower) compatibility might work since that would technically make it not eligible for the update. Although that is generally not recommended for other reasons... may break add-ons like Plus! and others too.

EDIT: See Menthix's reply to Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available...".

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by xho on 06-20-2012 at 05:45 AM

This morning I woke up to my MSN asking if I would want to install the new version (2011). There is no way around this that I know of. Microsoft has forced an update on wlm 2009 users on win7

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Mnjul on 06-20-2012 at 07:14 AM

Yeah..I've seen a truck of reports of forced upgrades. I don't like 2011 at all :/

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Ayreos on 06-20-2012 at 10:12 AM

This is unacceptable... Not only the WLM 2011 layout is a disgusting attempt at making it work like facebook, but many Plus features were rendered useless by it. I can't change my name to look like it did before, for instance. And i'm not talking about making it look like some decadent work of art, but i don't have the simple of choice of not inputting a "surname". Needless to say, name changing plugins don't work.
In fact, i installed Plus because i hoped it would get me past such limitation, but alas, it doesn't seem to be so.
Go to hell, Microsoft.

RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by Menthix on 06-20-2012 at 03:35 PM

Jonathan Kay (TReKiE) posted a tool to prevent Live Messenger 2009 from automatically updating to 2011: Use Messenger Reviver to bypass the Windows Live Messenger 2009 forced upgrade. Full instructions on how to use it are listed there too. If this doesn't work, setting Messenger to Windows XP compatibility mode is still worth a shot too. But, I would first try Messenger Reviver without any compatibility mode to prevent other problems.

If you already updated to WLM 2011 and you need to re-download 2009:
First uninstall WLM 2011 (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Live Essentials). The you can download the full installer of the last known WLM 2009 version on http://rnd.menthix.net/windows_live/Windows_Live_..._-_Wave_3_-_QFE_3/ (Click your preferred language and download wlsetup-all.exe). Remember to run Messenger Reviver directly after installing WLM 2009.

The download link Cookie provided should work too, but if you use the site to choose another language it tends to detect your OS and redirect you to a 2011 download. The offline installers archive makes finding the right file a bit easier.

RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by missdisplaynames on 06-20-2012 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xho
This morning I woke up to my MSN asking if I would want to install the new version (2011). There is no way around this that I know of. Microsoft has forced an update on wlm 2009 users on win7

To those here who wish to compain to them about this 'forced upgrade' and also about the bring back of display names (my reason for hating the new one) go to the official Windows feedback page!

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger
RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by msgplusliver on 06-22-2012 at 04:10 PM

Disable the mandatory update with an old trick: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...09.531/#post-11550

RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by pollolibredegrasa on 06-22-2012 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msgplusliver
Disable the mandatory update with an old trick: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...09.531/#post-11550

Note that this will stop MsgPlus 4.9 and earlier from working (I don't know about version 5 onwards). The fix in the link provided by Menthix doen't have this limitation.
RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by deyapretty on 06-23-2012 at 02:36 PM

Menthix's solution works very well!

thanks a lot! :D

RE: RE: RE: RE: Disable toast: "There's a new version of messenger available..." by pollolibredegrasa on 07-29-2012 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andrea Borman

Yes there is a way round it. You just set Windows Live Messenger 2009 to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP. And you will find it will work on Windows 7 and all other versions of windows. It works for me. Andrea Borman.

Menthix already posted a much better solution for keeping WLM 2009 earlier in this thread.

Also please note that double posting is against the forum rules :)