Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released (/showthread.php?tid=99490)

Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Nathalie on 07-26-2012 at 09:55 AM

Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger http://www.msgplus.net/News/Yuna_Software_unveils...Plus!_for_Windows_

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by warmth on 07-26-2012 at 12:12 PM

And the beta testing?????? :|

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by CookieRevised on 07-26-2012 at 12:40 PM

And the translation?????? :|

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by whiz on 07-26-2012 at 06:12 PM

Well...  this is a bit out of the blue...

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Chancer on 07-26-2012 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And the translation?????? :|
I am surprised that you are suprised...
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Chrono on 07-27-2012 at 01:06 AM

well there are versions that need no translation, but not beta testing it is just dumb :p

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by goku262002 on 07-27-2012 at 01:24 AM

Yeah I guess I just installed this update and now this keeps coming up every time I try to open messenger again:
[Image: error12231.png]

Whats going on?

OS is WinXP and its the latest version of WLM for XP.

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by CookieRevised on 07-27-2012 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
well there are versions that need no translation, but not beta testing it is just dumb :p
New features = translation round... period.

Just copying translations from Plus! for Skype (even just without a chance to review it) does not cut it and is bad policy
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Accolyte on 07-28-2012 at 11:27 PM

Installed the update, then Messenger refused to start :(

Also my system locked up completely, I had to go via system restore to get things working again

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by MeEtc on 07-29-2012 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goku262002
Whats going on?
quote:
Originally posted by Accolyte
Installed the update, then Messenger refused to start :(
Probably because:
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
It was not tested, at least not externally.
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by MELERIX on 07-29-2012 at 06:32 AM

I have troubles with this version too, my report here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=99493

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Spunky on 07-29-2012 at 08:42 AM

Isn't it a big jump in version number considering (as far as I can tell) the only thing added was some video effects?

Disappointed with there being no testing (wasn't there a big thing about this before?).

As Cookie said, translations are vital for each release, not only to add the text for new features, but to correct any previous mistakes.

To make things worse, there are at least 3 people reporting WLM has stopped working correctly with Plus!. Given the number small percentage of users that will actually take the time to register on the forums and post a bug, the problem is going to be far more widespread. It's something that could have been prevented with just 10 minutes of beta testing... At the bare minimum see if people can use something before releasing to the general public.

We've had a post on these forums mentioning some drivers being installed. I'm guessing these are to do with the webcam and video effects. It is possible that problems are being caused either by the drivers of the fact that they aren't installed properly then? To make things worse, we, the people users turn to for help have had no idea that drivers where even going to be installed... How can we possibly provide assistance to problems we aren't even aware should exist?

I've got a lot more to rant about, but this isn't the time or place. Can somebody please let us know exactly what the hell has gone on and why?

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by prashker on 07-29-2012 at 09:53 AM

Bad PR is good PR, right guys?

Guys?

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Nathalie on 07-29-2012 at 12:45 PM

We're investigating the issue regarding the driver for the virtual camera and Windows Live Messenger 2009.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Nathalie on 07-29-2012 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Whats going on?

Due to some technical issues to comply with Skype, Yuna needed to make some changes to Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger regarding the virtual camera  (that affected Skype as well).  Therefore, we released this version without translating and external (community)  testing.  The translations will be done in the future.

The problems reported about the latest version are being investigated by developers. 

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Spunky on 07-29-2012 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
Due to some technical issues to comply with Skype, Yuna needed to make some changes to Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger regarding the virtual camera  (that affected Skype as well).

How can something that affects Plus' compliance with Skype affect Skype itself too?

quote:
Therefore, we released this version without translating and external (community)  testing.  The translations will be done in the future.

This is the problem, the reason we're all so upset. Any developer knows that any new or modified code needs to be tested (especially things such as drivers). Errors are bad for business. The only thing they accomplish is driving people to the forums to complain. Trust me when I say, that rather unintuitively, the less activity there is on the forums, the better the program is working (in most cases).

What's released know is a semi-translated product, meaning that people who speak other languages will not be able to use or will have difficulty using the new features.

It seems like a complete shambles. It's not the developers that need to be investigating, it's whoever is in charge of signing off the release. It was obviously not ready, tested or translated making this yet another dubious release and marks a decline in overall quality.
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by MeEtc on 07-29-2012 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Therefore, we released this version without translating and external (community)  testing.  The translations will be done in the future.
This is the 4th or 5th time this has happened? Each time its been stated, "It won't happen again". Well, it just did happen again.

No wonder your userbase is going down the shitter.
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by goku262002 on 07-29-2012 at 11:29 PM

Ok. So in the meantime do I just switch back to a previous version?

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by MELERIX on 07-30-2012 at 12:56 AM

somebody knows how revert to previus version ?

I can't use WLM 2009 in WXP SP3 with this new MsgPlus version :S

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Spunky on 07-30-2012 at 01:34 AM

quote:
Ok. So in the meantime do I just switch back to a previous version?

quote:
Originally posted by MELERIX

If it doesn't work, just uninstall from "Add/Remove Programs" and find a link to download the older version. Unfortunately, the previous version isn't linked to on the official site and I wouldn't recommend a download from anywhere else. My official advice, if you want it up and running without risk, but don't mind losing a few features would be to download Messenger Plus! Live 4.9 from the official site until a more suitable version is released.

I would also make sure to send an email to support@yunasoftware.com letting them know of you situation and also the importance of testing software before release. They don't seem to like to listen to us
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by CookieRevised on 08-03-2012 at 08:37 AM

quote:

Donwload from one of the still existinging URLs for build 5.11.760:
http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20120326/LK/Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe
http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20111016/LKSBC/Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by MELERIX on 08-04-2012 at 02:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

Donwload from one of the still existinging URLs for build 5.11.760:
http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20120326/LK/Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe
http://mirror10.msgpluslive.net/20111016/LKSBC/Setup-MsgPlus-511.exe

downloaded from first link, now everything is working ok (Y)

thank you :D
RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by wildwestgoh on 08-08-2012 at 06:08 AM

Hi, is the Messenger Plus! offer popup can be disabled somehow? It's getting quite annoying when you're onto something and it just popup out of the blue (it just broke my concentration T.T")

RE: Messenger Plus! 5.5 for Windows Live Messenger released by Diceman2037 on 08-11-2012 at 06:16 AM

as i posted in the bugs thread

quote:
Originally posted by Diceman2037
Windows Live Messenger 14.0.0416
Messenger Plus! 5.50.0.761

Working set is flushed constantly after reaching or passing 30MB usage.

This has been introduced since 760, which was working fine

...was wondering why messenger started to lag when switching to it after awhile...

gone back to 5.11 via the links cookierevised provided (thanks cookierevised), and the problem is gone.

edit

actually, 5.11 was affected as well, except it only starts doing it after opening a chat window.

gunna need to set everything back to defaults it seems

or not...

Found out i had a backup of 5.10.750

replaced 5.11.760 and the Working set is not flushed in either case

Summarized
using Windows Live Messenger 14.0.0416
5.10.750 no apparent issues with the memory being flushed
5.11.760 flushes the working set when a chat window is open
5.5.761 flushes the working set when just sitting on the contact list

Confirmed:
Reproduced it under a Clean Windows XP virtual machine with a fresh install of WLM and 760/761, and confirmed the results summarized above

5.10 - open a chat window, mem usage is fine
[Image: 750.jpg]

5.11 - open a chat window, after about 10 seconds mem usage flushed to 3MB
[Image: 760.jpg]

5.5 - memory usage flushed to <3MB just sitting on the contact list
[Image: 761ziz.jpg]