Shoutbox

Home page changed even though I did not opt for it - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it (/showthread.php?tid=99505)

Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by NMe on 08-02-2012 at 10:14 AM

A few days ago, Plus updated to a new version. Now, let me start off by saying that I always take the greatest care not to check any of the dozens of checkboxes for your sponsors. I would gladly pay for Plus or simply donate, but I really, really do not want any crapware on my clean system.

With that out of the way: I updated and had none of the sponsor boxes checked. Yet, Plus still set my browser's start page to http://www.plusnetwork.com/?sp=blatbf&t=a0731. And not just my main browser. All of the browsers I have installed for testing purposes as a web development were "infected". Now I'm wondering: what other junk just got installed without my knowledge? How can I still trust this piece of software?

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Nathalie on 08-02-2012 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for your report.  We have not heard of other instances since the last version of the website being automatically switched to Plus! Network without your permission.   To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by matty on 08-02-2012 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html
This simply screams "while we are not ready to take responsibility for this happening because we cannot program properly but here is how to fix it."
RE: RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Nathalie on 08-02-2012 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
To switch back to your original home page, please follow the instructions here: http://pages.msgplus.net/toolbar/faq.html
This simply screams "while we are not ready to take responsibility for this happening because we cannot program properly but here is how to fix it."

Matty, do you know of more instances that  this occurred?  If so,  you know perfectly well how to reach us.  If many people raise the same issue, we can attempt to reproduce the "bug" and program a fix, but this appears to be a one-off.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by matty on 08-02-2012 at 12:57 PM

You're already aware of the toolbar doing dodgy things How do I prevent Plus! Network from changing my search engine in FireFox?.

The fact that "you haven't heard of this happening" but yet you have a method of fixing it is a contradicting statement.

What happened to the "offline installers" we were promised? Another request that has fallen by the waist side.  You guys (not you particularly) have taken an industry leading application and turned it into a joke. The group of people working on this have had more issues than 1 man did. How is this even possible?

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by CookieRevised on 08-02-2012 at 01:15 PM

quote:
If many people raise the same issue, we can attempt to reproduce the "bug" and program a fix, but this appears to be a one-off.
How hard would it be to debug something like that???????

If Checked Then install
If Not Checked Then don't install...

If it is any more complicated than that, then the whole thing should be reviewed as it should be that simple.... something like that should not contain some 'special cases' or whatever.

If people opt out, they opt out. period....

I'm with matty on this for 200%, and fully agree with the points he made in his post.....
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Nathalie on 08-02-2012 at 01:30 PM

Matty, this thread is about "home page changed even I didn't opt for it". 

We do not have a method of fixing a "bug" that cannot be reproduced! If you see there is a problem during your installation regarding Plus! Network, please let me know what browser you are using and send me additional information that can help.   

The checkboxes are transparent and if there is a problem with the current version,   I would appreciate your help to show of other cases in this version so that if does exist, as you insinuate, it can be investigated.     

Thanks

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by matty on 08-02-2012 at 03:47 PM

The point of linking to the other thread is to show you that while you all claim there are no problems with the installer and these are "one off scenarios" are to prove that you are indeed incorrect. A one off scenario means there is a bug in your software.

Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

How about the source code for the installer is released. I am sure some of us here would love to have a look at it.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Spunky on 08-02-2012 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Also the fact that you have to uncheck EVERY single box for the sponsor is very poor design. Opting out of the sponsor should deselect all boxes... the method you chose is very devious.

This is why I posted the installer checkboxes as a bug in my report, because users expect to untick one and have them all deselected (which is what I'm assuming actually happened here).

I can understand the reason for wanting a liaison between the community and Yuna, but we need people that work on the code to also communicate. That way we can have technical explanations that the majority of the remaining members can understand and relay in a more user friendly manner.

RE: RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Nathalie on 08-05-2012 at 12:52 PM

quote:

The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want.
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Spunky on 08-05-2012 at 01:49 PM

quote:
quote:

The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want.

But that is not how most other programs work, it is not doing as EXPECTED of it and is therefore bad practice.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by CookieRevised on 08-05-2012 at 01:49 PM

quote:
quote:

Yes, but the point is that when people opt OUT of "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar" they also expect to be opted out of all the other promotions due to how the screen is designed.

To put it in another way: if you unselect "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar", all the other promotional choices should be unselected too!!!

The reason for this is that "make Plus! web search my default search" and "make Plus! web search my homepage" are both options which are shown indented to "Install Messenger Plus! Smartbar", implying they are SUBoptions. Which means (should mean) when you deselect the main option, all suboptions should be deselected too.

Thus, with your own words: The ability to uncheck/check boxes individually gives users the ability to choose the combination of promotions that they want ONLY IF THEY HAVE ENABLED THE MAIN OPTION.

So either your design is seriously flawed, or either the checkbox routines are seriously bugged. Either way, something needs to be fixed.

-------------

PS: Also spreading multiple promotional sponsors around different pages is not really a good thing (Coupish promotions on the second screen, the rest on the third).... even if it is clearly visible though... it goes against any intuitive design.
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by matty on 08-05-2012 at 08:31 PM

[rant]

Kurt... you're well aware that at this point your lengthy explanations are simply going to "fall on deaths ears". They do what they want, when they want and how they want without considering the consequences.

I've devoted almost 10 years and it is such a shame to see how the owners of Yuna Software have run it into the ground. Yes you have a business to run and maintain and need to make back the millions of dollars you spent but a business modal like this where you're "tricking" your customers will not last long and this massive investment will be all for nothing and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

Your tactics, ethics and broken promises have caused this thriving community to become a ghost town. You no longer have the support of many. I'd like to see Plus! succeed but it will not under the current leadership. You're an advertising company you have no experience in this market and need to listen to those that have been here through thick and thin or risk losing everything.

[/rant]

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by CookieRevised on 08-06-2012 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Kurt... you're well aware that at this point your lengthy explanations are simply going to "fall on deaths ears".
There is always hope....
RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by matty on 08-10-2012 at 12:03 PM

Bump.

I'd certainly like to hear more... alas this may not be the case.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by MeEtc on 08-10-2012 at 02:42 PM

We all know how often Yuna likes to own up to their mistakes and shortcomings.

[Image: image.png]

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Justzen on 08-12-2012 at 12:12 AM

Hi, I just encountered this exact problem.
I checked and double chekced to make sure all sponsor deals will not be installed having choosing not to give my "permission" for it.

All the check boxes were appropriately marked, but I still did have all my browsers swapped to your friendly Messenger plus! ones.

Earlier I was contemplating if it was worth installing this piece of software, but I didn't expect to be disappointed as I was years ago when I discovered the dodgy software included.

What's new?

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Discrate on 11-12-2012 at 06:06 AM

This has been happening to me since i installed plus for skype just the other day. It doesn't seem to be a bug either, infact it seems to be done on purpose.

Very dodgy.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by Nathalie on 11-12-2012 at 10:10 AM

The homepage shouldn't be changed without the user's permssion.  Please uninstall and then reinstall the software.

RE: Home page changed even though I did not opt for it by DeathsAngel on 12-09-2012 at 06:25 PM

On top of changing my home webpage even though I did not check the box, you also put a couple of crap shortcuts on my Desktop.

And also, sometimes to times a random webpage opens now. That's really great from you to install shitty stuff without user consent. I have uninstall MsgPlus and will never use that in the future.