Shoutbox

What laptop? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What laptop? (/showthread.php?tid=99668)

What laptop? by alegator on 10-08-2012 at 06:47 PM

I need a laptop powerful enough for handling video editing and heavy photoshop files, with a screen of 17" or higher, good resolution (preferably IPS), not too heavy for travel (not a gaming laptop), good battery life. HP Envy? Any other you can recommend? Thanks

RE: What laptop? by Chancer on 10-09-2012 at 02:53 AM

MacBook Pro. There might be some refurbished 17" still...

RE: What laptop? by alegator on 10-09-2012 at 06:41 AM

I want Windows... :)

RE: What laptop? by Chancer on 10-09-2012 at 09:56 PM

I believe any Dell with 17" will be powerful enough for your requirements for a very reasonable price.
Except for the weight, but in this case I believe any model you find will be a bit heavy. If you want something light, you should get one with a smaller screen.
I'd not recommend HP, I've had too many bad situations with them in the past few years; Dell always seemed good for me, never had trouble; Asus and Vaio seem pretty decent and high quality, but I've never really used any of them.

RE: What laptop? by alegator on 10-10-2012 at 05:39 PM

The HP Envy has glossy screen, don't like that. I think now I'm more decided for a light 13.3" ultrabook, this one has IPS matte screen, powerful enough for Photoshop/video editing and with upgrades (SSD, ram) performs better than the Macbook Air (from reviews)

RE: What laptop? by prashker on 10-10-2012 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
The HP Envy has glossy screen, don't like that. I think now I'm more decided for a light 13.3" ultrabook, this one has IPS matte screen, powerful enough for Photoshop/video editing and with upgrades (SSD, ram) performs better than the Macbook Air (from reviews)
With an i7-3517U, you'll get performances relative to say, a Q6600 desktop CPU.

You'll be able to do Photoshop and Video Editing, if you want it done in a timely matter, you'll want something that isn't an UltraLow power suffixed Intel CPU.
RE: RE: What laptop? by alegator on 10-10-2012 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
With an i7-3517U, you'll get performances relative to say, a Q6600 desktop CPU.

You'll be able to do Photoshop and Video Editing, if you want it done in a timely matter, you'll want something that isn't an UltraLow power suffixed Intel CPU.

Well, it's tough to find a Windows laptop/notebook/ultrabook with these specs:

- Full HD Matte IPS display any size but preferably at least 15 inch
- Not very heavy or big sizewise (not a gaming laptop)
- Fast i7 CPU
- Dedicated video card (Kepler?)
- Acceptable/Good battery life
- Upgradeable to SSD and 10 to 16Gb RAM
- Reliable brand

Can you think of any?

RE: What laptop? by prashker on 10-11-2012 at 12:37 PM

Best I can think of is a Lenovo X230 or an X1 Carbon

No dGPU though, and around 13",

Beyond that, I'd say like a Samsung Series 9 but then you get crappy display etc.

If HD4000 is good enough for you (consider this, it may be), then go for what I initially suggested.

Beyond that, admit defeat, get a ThinkPad :p.

RE: What laptop? by Menthix on 10-11-2012 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Best I can think of is a Lenovo X230 or an X1 Carbon

No dGPU though, and around 13",
Keep in mind X220/X230s have a fairly low resolution. 1366x768. I owned a X220 and currently have a X230. Current one is specced with a i7 and 16GB RAM ,which for the weight and size is epic. Just be prepared to connect it to an external display for serious work.
RE: What laptop? by alegator on 10-12-2012 at 07:30 PM

Exciting news?? The new Intel Mobile CPU, the i7 3630QM has 4/8 cores/threads. New line of laptops are coming across different brands. Take this one as an example. Seems to satisfy the specs I was looking for, at least more closely.

RE: What laptop? by prashker on 10-12-2012 at 07:36 PM

Considering it is 8.34lb it is nothing special. Though the specs are very good, a Thinkpad W520 (last years gen) would be very close to it in terms of performance anyways.

If you don't care about weight or cost anymore, the new Series 7 will do you good...

RE: RE: What laptop? by alegator on 10-12-2012 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Considering it is 8.34lb it is nothing special. Though the specs are very good, a Thinkpad W520 (last years gen) would be very close to it in terms of performance anyways.

If you don't care about weight or cost anymore, the new Series 7 will do you good...

Yes, I checked that, too heavy. If ASUS upgrades the Zenbook line with this new i7 3630QM CPU would be great, but unfortunately haven't found any news.

UPDATE: It's getting better, look at this
RE: What laptop? by thomaswinter85 on 10-18-2012 at 09:40 AM

With a new Acer Notebook you always have a good hardware / price. But the accumulator isnīt good.

RE: What laptop? by Alston1 on 10-19-2012 at 04:22 PM

Well I think you should try dell studio 17". It would be prefect for your working. What do you say? I think you should check out this. if you are not interested in Dell then go to HP . There is nothing better then those two companies because its my personal experience. In HP you should check the DV series in 17".

RE: What laptop? by Tochjo on 10-19-2012 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alston1
There is nothing better then those two companies because its my personal experience.

Yeah, that's a valid argument ^o)
RE: What laptop? by NathanAdrian on 10-31-2012 at 05:28 AM

You need use Macbook .The designer can  get good resolution on laptop in macbook

RE: What laptop? by Priyanka24 on 05-28-2013 at 09:14 AM

According to me the best three laptops as per your choice are
Samsung Series 9

MacBook Pro

HP Envy 17