Shoutbox

Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? (/showthread.php?tid=99771)

Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Chrono on 11-05-2012 at 08:46 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/5/3603014/windows...r-retirement-Skype

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by prashker on 11-05-2012 at 11:02 PM

Messenger Plus for Skype METRO EDITION?!

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Chris4 on 11-06-2012 at 07:47 PM

R.I.P MSN/Windows Live Messenger!

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Toxn on 11-06-2012 at 08:53 PM

Inb4 Plus! Messenger :tongue:

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Spunky on 11-06-2012 at 09:29 PM

How I thought it would end to be honest...

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Oxy on 11-06-2012 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
How I thought it would end to be honest...
not with a bangg, but a whimper.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by absorbation on 11-07-2012 at 02:06 AM

It's over. It's finally over ...

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by matty on 11-07-2012 at 02:54 AM

Cyril made the best decision of his life to sell and get out!

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Sunshine on 11-07-2012 at 10:45 AM

It's official, Messenger is being retired by first quarter of 2013:
http://www.liveside.net/2012/11/06/skype-windows-...-1st-quarter-2013/

RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Omar on 11-07-2012 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Cyril made the best decision of his life to sell and get out!
True that.... good for him
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Diceman2037 on 11-07-2012 at 06:22 PM

excuse me while i find and beat the fool who decided this.

or heck, i can just screw with the build identifier and make it appear chinese.

unless plus for skype actually reaches feature parity with plus for messenger, and is made to work with wlm plus plugins.

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Kenji on 11-07-2012 at 08:10 PM

We all knew it was coming, sadly.

R.I.P Messenger, Messenger Plus!, etc etc. :(

Thinking about it, MSN changed my life. I would have never found Messenger plus! and in turn this forum, and so on.  Strange how such a small thing can path my way in life. If you know what I mean..

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by matty on 11-07-2012 at 08:45 PM

So now the question is how long before this forum is shut down and Messenger Plus! collapses...

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Menthix on 11-07-2012 at 08:59 PM

So much oldies in here :)

Posting in "MSN/Windows (Live) Messenger ", we went through quite a few changes. But this time it really is the end of an era :(. Messenger users have gone down for quite a while, forums posts were already near extinct, and I haven't used Microsoft's client for some time. By all means Messenger was already dying, but Microsoft pulling the plug makes it official.

So much happened through good old MSN. From all the late night IM conversations with people I already knew, to getting into customizing the client, discovering Plus!, Mess.be, MSN Fanatic, and the people behind it. Got to know a lot of new people along the way and happy to still be in contact with some of them outside of the Messenger-related world. And also still refusing to let the shoutbox die.

(M) :plus: :banana:

quote:
Originally posted by matty
So now the question is how long before this forum is shut down and Messenger Plus! collapses...
I guess the forum will at least stay around as long as Yuna continues to develop Messenger Plus! for Skype. If it was up to me it will also stay around after that if only just for nostalgia. Hosting costs nearly nothing and I already own a server I could put it on anyway. But Yuna controls the domain name.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Chrissy on 11-08-2012 at 01:06 AM

I'll miss you all :-(

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by MeEtc on 11-08-2012 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
I'll miss you all :-(
we won't miss you.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by NanoChromatic on 11-08-2012 at 09:27 AM

Jesus I haven't been on here in so long. Pretty sad to see Microsoft retire WLM, but it was only a matter of time before it happened to be fair. Although I never really contributed much, I learnt a lot when I was younger on here and I've yet to find a nicer community. You guys/girls are awesome.

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Mnjul on 11-08-2012 at 10:47 AM

:cry:

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by foaly on 11-08-2012 at 01:39 PM

):

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Nathalie on 11-08-2012 at 05:06 PM

See Yuna announcement here  http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=99783

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 11-08-2012 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
So much oldies in here :)

Posting in "MSN/Windows (Live) Messenger ", we went through quite a few changes. But this time it really is the end of an era :(. Messenger users have gone down for quite a while, forums posts were already near extinct, and I haven't used Microsoft's client for some time. By all means Messenger was already dying, but Microsoft pulling the plug makes it official.

So much happened through good old MSN. From all the late night IM conversations with people I already knew, to getting into customizing the client, discovering Plus!, Mess.be, MSN Fanatic, and the people behind it. Got to know a lot of new people along the way and happy to still be in contact with some of them outside of the Messenger-related world. And also still refusing to let the shoutbox die.

(M) :plus: :banana:

hear hear
(B)
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Chrono on 11-10-2012 at 03:04 AM

It was a fun ride while it lasted :cry:

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by riahc4 on 11-11-2012 at 10:09 AM

I wish Patchou would come by and say a last goodbye :)

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by OKI on 11-14-2012 at 03:55 AM

from what i read they are migrating skype to the live system, not the other way around.

worrying decision :/

hoping for the return of the most usefull feature ever, which is the flashing scroll lock led notification script.
i dont know if it will ever return but that would be the icing on my cake, i want to rig it up to some case lights etc etc ><

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by kittyangel on 11-14-2012 at 06:12 AM

I wish features like custom emoticons will at least get integrated to the new Skype.

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by OKI on 11-14-2012 at 08:16 PM

im kinda confused about hwere thaey are going with this.

loads of people talking about messenger being replaced by skype.
but on the skype website it ststes that skype is being transfered to the live system :s

why the hell,,skype works, and well.
messenger has never worked well since it changed to live.

another bad decision by MS?

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 11-15-2012 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by OKI
im kinda confused about hwere thaey are going with this.

loads of people talking about messenger being replaced by skype.
but on the skype website it ststes that skype is being transfered to the live system :s
From what I understand those "loads of people" are correct: WLM is going to be replaced by Skype.

One more proof of that is that MS had already announced that the development of WLM will stop in the first quarter of 2013, except for the Chinese version.

What is stated/meant on the Skype Website is that the Skype protocol and WLM protocol are going to be merged (kind-of).

quote:
Originally posted by OKI
why the hell,,skype works, and well.
messenger has never worked well since it changed to live.

another bad decision by MS?
That's stretching it a bit too far imho. For example, since WLM went "Live" it has worked far better for me on various systems than before it went "Live".

Dunno if it is a bad decision either. The usergroup of WLM is rapidly decreasing (in favor of facebook, and other similar stuff). So integrating it into another existing and succesfull social media type (which is still growing by 40% each year) is maybe a very good decision if you take in account the massive amount of costs to maintain a totally seperate product trying to beat the opposition. Skype also has a payable business part. WLM has nothing of that kind, so its (scares) revenue must come from ads etc... (though, Skype has ads too and will probably have more ads in the futur).

But that said, Microsoft owns Skype since 2011. So from that point of view it would even be stupid not to merge the two very similar products.

How it is going to be merged and what you'll be able to do with it and if it will work properly is a whole other ballgame. lol...
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by traxor on 11-19-2012 at 02:17 PM

Let’s face it, Cyril made a fantastic decision to sell Messenger Plus! to Yuna Software when he did. I think he could see that the number of users was declining and decided to pull out at the right time.

With the rise of iMessage, G!Talk, Twitter, Facebook and Skype it’s making Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! all but redundant. The novelty of making your username have a colour doesn’t exist and is just downright irritating.

I think it’d be daft of Yuna Software to continue to develop the application much longer – it doesn’t seem viable. They’ll run it into the ground and end up with nothing unless they close up shop and start working on a new product. Let’s face it, who are they competing with now?

Don’t get me wrong I’m really sad to see what is happened / happening. This forum was a huge part of my life for the best part of 5 years and without it I wouldn’t be where I am today so I’m really sad to be saying all of this, but it’s time for everyone to just call it quits and move on isn’t it?

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Tochjo on 11-19-2012 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
it’s time for everyone to just call it quits and move on isn’t it?
[Image: noooo_birds.jpg]
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Thor on 11-21-2012 at 09:55 PM

Well, I'm certainly late to the party...

I haven't personally been active here for way more than a year, but even then I wasn't planning to rid myself of my Messenger account - even though that has died out for me.

Now my accounts are merged and in a sense, I guess Messenger will always live on. Both in the best logs I've even gotten out of an IM service... thanks to Plus!, and as the few contacts still alive on Messenger that has been merged into Skype.

I'll always have fond memories of this forum - this community - and I'm forever glad that even though the Messenger Plus! IRC changed name (which is quite logical), the people and the community is always going to somehow "be there".

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by elektra on 11-22-2012 at 11:06 AM

why dey do dis tough. i dnt wnt to call the peeps on skyper i wont to type to dem. with keyboar.d?Q!!!

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 11-22-2012 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by elektra
why dey do dis tough. i dnt wnt to call the peeps on skyper i wont to type to dem. with keyboar.d?Q!!!
You are able to type to them in Skype too.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by foaly on 11-22-2012 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Is he though? He seems to have trouble with it...
RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Diceman2037 on 01-01-2013 at 08:49 AM

quote:
quote:

why would he use inferior software

Guaranteed there will be a hack to make WLM work still.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 01-01-2013 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Diceman2037
quote:
quote:

Why? I dunno, that was not his question/remark...

Inferior? Skype had (and has) far better video quality and is far more stable than WLM ever had and was. It is not because you don't like certain aspects of a software that it is inferior.
Does that mean I like Skype better than WLM...no, but I wont call it inferior overall. Both pieces of software have quite different emphases and they both do better than the other on that (WLM is better in text IM, Skype in video/audio IM). The goal of MS is to combine those two into one product which is a very logic goal from a finance and useability pov. So let's hope the combination of them (which wont be done over one night) results in something greater than its parts.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by whiz on 01-09-2013 at 01:02 PM

Here we go...

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/01/09/micros...-upgrade-to-skype/

RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Diceman2037 on 01-10-2013 at 06:40 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Inferior? Skype had (and has) far better video quality and is far more stablethan WLM ever had and was.

Wrong on both counts,  Skype is far more code bloated which leads to far more potential problems, one of them being the fact it uses a permanently gpu accelerated UI which makes it an annoyance to leave running in the background while loading up a game

quote:
It is not because you don't like certain aspects of a software that it is inferior.
Its inferior because it is a VOIP app with text chat hacked in at the last moment.

Its also based around the social media philosophy which many of us refused to upgrade to WLM 2011 just to avoid it.

quote:
Does that mean I like Skype better than WLM...no, but I wont call it inferior overall.

Your definition of inferior doesn't match the dictionary definition.

quote:
Both pieces of software have quite different emphases and they both do better than the other on that (WLM is better in text IM, Skype in video/audio IM). The goal of MS is to combine those two into one product which is a very logic goal from a finance and useability pov. So let's hope the combination of them (which wont be done over one night) results in something greater than its parts.

Microsoft will never achieve it.  They've been progressively destroying their software base for the last 6 years.

There is no possible way for Skype to get to par with WLM by march 15,  luckily the fact that it will still work in china puts up the prospects of a proxy hack, since that means they aren't actually closing the backend, or patching the client to ignore the upgrade and blocking mechanisms.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Menthix on 01-10-2013 at 01:41 PM

Trekie pointed out some additional info I haven't seen on any of the news blogs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/default.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/default.aspx
Important update from Microsoft
We recently announced that we’ll begin to encourage Messenger users to start using Skype. As a result, the Messenger developer program will end. Existing implementations that use Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) will continue to work until October 2013. Existing implementations that use MSP will continue to work until March 2014. For support for existing XMPP implementations, please visit our Forums page.
So that means:
  • Windows Live Messenger client ends March 15, 2013
  • Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) ends October 2013
  • MSP (MSNP) ends March 2014
XMPP and MSP are used in 3rd party clients like Trillian and Pidgin. Technically you could continue to use your 3rd party clients on the Live Messenger network for quite some time after the WLM client shuts down. I assume you'll still see the people online who use their Live ID to sign in to Skype (or have their Live ID linked to their Skype ID). We still don't know for sure what happens to WLM official WLM clients on Xbox, phones, etc.

But I am curious what Skype will do for 3rd party clients and developers once WLM really dies. Skype does offer SkypeKit, but their licensing does not allow it to be used in open source products and server-side products, amongst other things. Trillian seems to be one one the only clients which supports Skype officially, but they run into problems too.
Adium, eBuddy, Empathy, Jitsi, Miranda IM and Pidgin are all legally locked out from using SkypeKit. Apart from messy tricks where the user has to install the official Skype client first, there doesn't seem to be a way around having to use SkypeKit.

This leaves open source projects looking for answers...
It would be fantastic if they opened up SkypeKit for open source and server-side implementations. But at least adding XMPP connectivity would be a great step forward. Their XMPP implementation doesn't have to support video or even audio, I think it is text chat and file transfer what is probably most important to ex-WLM users.
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by L. Coyote on 01-11-2013 at 01:30 AM

:zah: IT'S THE END!!! THE END IS HERE!!! :zah:

:| I can't believe this!

I mean, we all know MSNM/WLM was already kind of gone... but if crap like ICQ is still running... I dunno... Wow...

:zah:

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by prashker on 01-11-2013 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
IT'S THE END!!! THE END IS HERE!!!

(8)AND I FEEL FINE(8)
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Stigmata on 01-13-2013 at 03:04 AM

R.I.P. MSN Messenger/WLM

Funny how AIM and ICQ are still around though

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by kezz on 01-13-2013 at 07:55 AM

Oh dear lord the nostalgia...

RE: RE: RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 01-14-2013 at 10:50 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Inferior? Skype had (and has) far better video quality and is far more stablethan WLM ever had and was.

Wrong on both counts,  Skype is far more code bloated which leads to far more potential problems, one of them being the fact it uses a permanently gpu accelerated UI which makes it an annoyance to leave running in the background while loading up a game
No, not wrong.
1) Reread his post. He did not ask nor made a remark about why he would or must use inferiour software. That was your remark. I simply answered that he can type with the keyboard in Skype too _without_ any judgement about the quality of the software (being it WLM or Skype).

2) about inferiour: I know d* well what it means and what the dictionaries say. Two programs aimed at two different things can't be compared as inferior/superior. That's like comparing an apple with a banana, hence:
quote:
quote:
It is not because you don't like certain aspects of a software that it is inferior.
Its inferior because it is a VOIP app with text chat hacked in at the last moment.
Yeah, well, then WLM is inferior because it is a text based IM with video hacked in at the last moment.... :rolleyes:

quote:
Its [sic: skype] also based around the social media philosophy which many of us refused to upgrade to WLM 2011 just to avoid it.
WLM is all about the social media philosphy too, even long before the words "social media" became the buzzwords of these modern times.
Even so, having all kinds of "social" networks integrated into one app does not make it inferior either. Bloated to some, but not necessarily inferior.

quote:
Microsoft will never achieve it.  They've been progressively destroying their software base for the last 6 years.

There is no possible way for Skype to get to par with WLM by march 15,  luckily the fact that it will still work in china puts up the prospects of a proxy hack, since that means they aren't actually closing the backend, or patching the client to ignore the upgrade and blocking mechanisms.
No argument there...
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by MeEtc on 01-15-2013 at 10:15 PM

quote:
*wall of text*
quote:
Originally posted by kezz

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by L. Coyote on 01-16-2013 at 01:14 AM

I dunno, even the walls of text seem half-assed nowadays.

*-)

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by xho on 02-18-2013 at 04:57 AM

What will happen with this 'merge'? I'm asking since I have a hotmail account as well as a skype account that was made a few years back. Seeing that very few of my friends still use WLM, they wouldn't even use their merged hotmail account to log into skype since they have skype accounts already. Should I close my hotmail account before the merge if I have no use for it anymore?

RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by Chrono on 02-20-2013 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
*wall of text*
quote:
Originally posted by kezz

rofl :lol:
RE: Microsoft to retire wlm in favor of Skype? by CookieRevised on 02-20-2013 at 09:02 PM

Funny indeed, but my post is far from the longest/biggest in this thread dudes.... ;-)