Shoutbox

Why no custom sounds? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Skype (/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Skype Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+----- Thread: Why no custom sounds? (/showthread.php?tid=99937)

Why no custom sounds? by RvonKarma on 01-09-2013 at 07:12 PM

Over the years on MSN my friend and I built up a massive sound library that we would use constantly, using clips we'd recorded from various films and games. Eventually we'd made over 400 of them between us, and could even go some length of time talking to eachother with just those sounds. I'd absolutely hate to go back to a dull MSN without custom sounds, so you can imagine how disappointed I am to learn that this basic feature isn't even included in Skype Plus, all the while all us Messenger users are going to be forced onto Skype. Can someone please tell me what the status is for Skype regarding this feature?

RE: Why no custom sounds? by jeremy99 on 01-09-2013 at 11:00 PM

Same situation here. I'm holding off moving to Skype for this exact reason. I'd love to know if there plans to take the sound library over to Skype before the March 15th death of WLM...

RE: RE: Why no custom sounds? by RvonKarma on 01-10-2013 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy99
Same situation here. I'm holding off moving to Skype for this exact reason. I'd love to know if there plans to take the sound library over to Skype before the March 15th death of WLM...

Good news! I got an update window today, and now that I've updated there's the good old sounds menu! (now called Emotisounds). Sadly, there are only the default ones, and while the option exists to add new ones, it's greyed out at the moment.
RE: Why no custom sounds? by jeremy99 on 01-11-2013 at 10:50 PM

That is good news! Once they add the option to import an existing sound pack, I'll have no problem switching to Skype.

Thanks for the update!

RE: Why no custom sounds? by jessycardy on 01-28-2013 at 08:37 PM

As I've already posted elsewhere, I'm in the same situation as the original poster here: hundreds of sound clips that my friend and I share and just could not do without.
I already knew about the default ones and the greyed out option, and that's promising.

RE: Why no custom sounds? by Nathalie on 01-30-2013 at 05:46 PM

Good news - Custom sounds are planned for the next version of Messenger Plus! (for Skype).  I do not have a rollout date yet.

RE: Why no custom sounds? by MasterJok3r on 01-31-2013 at 09:07 AM

YEAHH!! ;)
But now...custom emoticons please T___T it's not possible to chat without ç.ç

RE: Why no custom sounds? by lucasdelion on 02-14-2013 at 02:43 AM

I need my custom sounds =/
Same situation of the OP

RE: RE: Why no custom sounds? by jessycardy on 02-17-2013 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
Good news - Custom sounds are planned for the next version of Messenger Plus! (for Skype).  I do not have a rollout date yet.

That's great! :D
Will we be able to import old custom sounds made while using Windows Live Messenger?
RE: Why no custom sounds? by Nathalie on 02-18-2013 at 02:36 PM

SOUNDS

You'll be able to access the custom sounds that are on the WLM server (it's the same server) but not ones saved locally.  You'll be able to download built-in and custom sounds but not create or record sounds (yet). 

EMOTICONS

Regarding custom emoticons, Skype has built-in emoticons.  Messenger Plus! (for Skype) isn't yet able to provide custom emoticons because Microsoft doesn't allow this type of modification to the Skype interface. 

RE: Why no custom sounds? by CookieRevised on 02-19-2013 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
EMOTICONS

Regarding custom emoticons, Skype has built-in emoticons.  Messenger Plus! (for Skype) isn't yet able to provide custom emoticons because Microsoft doesn't allow this type of modification to the Skype interface.
Errrmm...
That's a bit strange isn't it.
I thought the "no mods" policy was about the user interface.
With custom emoticons you don't alter the existing ones, you add others.
Custom emoticons are also very similar to winks in that regards.
And winks and the like are allowed... so why not custom emoticons???
Or am i missing something?
RE: Why no custom sounds? by Nathalie on 02-19-2013 at 11:16 AM

CookieRevised, the emoticons (static emoticons) are displayed within the Skype window itself and Messenger Plus! is not allowed to touch that window, whereas Animated Winks and sounds are displayed/heard externally (in a separate window).   Adding new emoticons still would mean displaying them in the actual Skype window and not in an external, Messenger Plus! window.   So the custom emoticons would still be connected to the Skype user interface.

RE: Why no custom sounds? by CookieRevised on 02-19-2013 at 11:23 AM

Ah, makes sense....

EDIT: But then it also means, in regards to custom sounds, you'll not be able to show "Play [xxxxxxxxx]" etc anymore like it was done in Plus! for WLM? Or doing anything else for that matter which needs text alterations, nor future scripting (in/outgoing text manipulation), etc. ?

RE: Why no custom sounds? by clitcommando on 04-08-2013 at 12:57 PM

This is one of the main features I loved about MSN plus. My friend and I were stoked to find that messenger plus was also available for skype. Please allow uploads of custom emotisounds!

-Spiderpig

RE: Why no custom sounds? by steferrari on 08-20-2013 at 11:24 AM

Hello, any updates on the chance of having custom sounds back? Thanks!

RE: Why no custom sounds? by steferrari on 09-12-2013 at 10:19 AM

The sounds are back ! :D