Shoutbox

Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 (/showthread.php?tid=99957)

Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 01-18-2013 at 02:01 AM

So, I got wind of Microsoft merging Messenger accounts with Skype, and I'm sure one of the first questions that came into peoples' minds after knowing this were, "Will I (somehow) still be able to use Messenger after April 8?"

I've done some looking around on the forums, and I haven't yet seen anyone answer this question directly (though I haven't searched very extensively, and I do apologize if a topic of this subject already exists), so I'm asking it in its own thread.

I realize that it's probably too soon to tell what will happen, but let's hypothesize about it. We know that the service will still technically be active, in China, so would tweaking registry settings to trick Messenger into thinking it's running in China be a viable option? Someone will be bound to make a portable patched version eventually.

Also, something else to consider is, just how widespread will this forced merge be? I'm still running Messenger 2009 (14.0.8117.416), albeit in compatibility mode for Vista SP2 (so I can use it on Windows 7), and under this configuration, I never once got a prompt to update to the 2011 and 2012 versions. I wonder if the update will cover the most recent versions of Messenger only.

Another thing is that, even if it is possible to run Messenger after April 8, could you still communicate with your Skype-merged contacts? I'm led to believe you would be able to, since even now users who have chosen to migrate their account to Skype are still able to interact with users still on Messenger.

Just a lot of things on my mind about all this. I'm really comfortable with Messenger 2009 and Plus! 4.9, so I'm hoping that the merge will just graze over my head with little to no hassle.

Thoughts?

RE: After the Messenger/Skype Merge by krypton on 01-22-2013 at 07:43 PM

quote:
We know that the service will still technically be active, in China, so would tweaking registry settings to trick Messenger into thinking it's running in China be a viable option? Someone will be bound to make a portable patched version eventually.
I don't think that your proposed procedure is sufficient, in addition to that I think that is necessary to mask the IP address with chineses proxies because you have to trick also the Microsoft servers into thinking that MSN is running in China, but it's my supposition.

quote:
Also, something else to consider is, just how widespread will this forced merge be? I'm still running Messenger 2009 (14.0.8117.416), albeit in compatibility mode for Vista SP2 (so I can use it on Windows 7), and under this configuration, I never once got a prompt to update to the 2011 and 2012 versions. I wonder if the update will cover the most recent versions of Messenger only.
Another thing is that, even if it is possible to still run Messenger after March 15, could you still communicate with your Skype-merged contacts? I'm led to believe you would be able to, since even now users who have chosen to migrate their account to Skype are still able to interact with users still on Messenger.

From as I understand, this time the MSN protocol will be killed, and in consequence of this fact MSN Messenger too, but the existing accounts will be maintained with the Skype-merged contacts also after March 15.

Read this link for further informations:
pcworld.com - microsoft-to-close-messenger-and-consolidate-im-service-on-skype.html

RE: RE: After the Messenger/Skype Merge by Chattanooga on 01-25-2013 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krypton
I don't think that your proposed procedure is sufficient, in addition to that I think that is necessary to mask the IP address with chineses proxies because you have to trick also the Microsoft servers into thinking that MSN is running in China, but it's my supposition.
Then could you manually input a Chinese proxy in the Advanced Settings of the Connections tab in Messenger's options? I just can't help but think that it's entirely possible to work around this global protocol shutdown by tapping into Chinese servers somehow.

To further what I said regarding Chinese proxies, after some research, I found this blog post which describes how to "force" Messenger into using a SOCKS proxy by adding to the hosts file, since by default [Messenger] would otherwise ignore any custom-set proxies so long as you have a working Internet (TCP) connection.

I followed the post's instructions in editing my hosts file, and I've attempted adding several different Chinese SOCKS4/5 proxies into Messenger, but so far, none of them have worked; if I try to sign in, I get a 80072efd error code, and if I try to test any working proxies, Messenger just crashes altogether. Setting an HTTP proxy inside of Internet Explorer also doesn't work.

(For the record, I originally meant to post this thread on the MSN/Windows (Live) Messenger board but accidentally posted it here, so if an admin happens to see this, please move the topic there by all means.)
RE: After the Messenger/Skype Merge by Chattanooga on 02-15-2013 at 04:57 AM

No-one else has posted in this thread yet, so I may as well share a discovery I made the other day. After substantial amounts of trawling, I found what appears to be the official (?) Chinese Messenger client. Here's the website: http://www.windowslive.cn/Get/

There are three different versions of Messenger there, 7.0 for "Windows 2000 users," 2009 (14.0.8117.416, the final build of that version), and 2011 (15.4.3555.308).

I downloaded the 2009 one and its only obvious differences are the weird installer (it's a little uglier and behaves a bit different to the normal one) and that most everything is displayed in Chinese. However, another curious thing is that normally, if you try launching and signing in to Messenger 2009 out of the box, it'd decline you and say had to download the latest version of Messenger to continue. To circumvent this, you could either run the program in compatibility mode for Vista SP2 or lower, or you could modify the registry string and change it to the latest version. But with this "Chinese" client, it signs you in with no update prompts of any kind.

I wonder if this particular version of Messenger connects to the Chinese servers, or if it provides any use in prolonging Messenger's lifespan for those who wish to continue using it after April 8?

Someone please contribute to this discussion and give their input.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 03-11-2013 at 08:14 PM

I'm a little upset that after you update to SKYPE, Messenger ceases to work, so I will no longer have the ability to hear my email alert when an email posts to hotmail. Bummer!(N)

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 03-14-2013 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by priuscat
I'm a little upset that after you update to SKYPE, Messenger ceases to work, so I will no longer have the ability to hear my email alert when an email posts to hotmail. Bummer!(N)

Found the solution: for ten bucks you can have your email sound alerts back: http://www.poppeeper.com/download.php

you will need the "Chime" plugin to get sound to work.

http://www.poppeeper.com/Plugins/notify.php

as an alternative, you could use the Chime plugin and then you can just tell it to run an mp3 file in the 'Command' section and it will play the mp3 in your default mp3 player. You can download the Chime plugin here:
RE: RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 03-14-2013 at 07:44 AM

quote:
quote:
Found the solution: for ten bucks you can have your email sound alerts back: http://www.poppeeper.com/download.php

as an alternative, you could use the Chime plugin and then you can just tell it to run an mp3 file in the 'Command' section and it will play the mp3 in your default mp3 player. You can download the Chime plugin here:
There are many many other completely free alternatives which support notifying with a sound in one way or the other.

Just search Google, eg POP3 notifier.
Already 4 completely free alternatives on the first page which all support sound notification.

And if you have your internet browser open all the time, there are many more browser plugins for each existing browser which do the same thing too.

So, if you just used Plus! for automatic checking on new email (with sound and/or tray notification) I very strongly suggest you use Google for 2 minutes, ditch Plus!, and use one of the many free and super-lightweight tools out there.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 03-14-2013 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:

There are many many other completely free alternatives which support notifying with a sound in one way or the other.

Just search Google, eg POP3 notifier.
Already 4 completely free alternatives on the first page which all support sound notification.

And if you have your internet browser open all the time, there are many more browser plugins for each existing browser which do the same thing too.

So, if you just used Plus! for automatic checking on new email (with sound and/or tray notification) I very strongly suggest you use Google for 2 minutes, ditch Plus!, and use one of the many free and super-lightweight tools out there.

Can't find any email alert sound notifications for Plus or Google, I'm happy with what I chose.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-15-2013 at 02:47 AM

Getting back on topic, does anybody think that the Chinese client is going to work past April 8? Maybe someone with a better technical understanding can open up the program and see if it's at all different from the English/standard version.

I'm honestly quite surprised by the lack of responses to this thread. I would think that more people on this forum would express great interest in maintaining Messenger and be looking for alternatives/solutions. Is it just too soon to tell? Is the situation just an impossible one? Has everyone else just embraced Skype as WLM's successor?

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 03-15-2013 at 07:45 PM

Been coming here for some time. I decided its time to join and post my thoughts on this BS. lol

I am using the 2011 Chinese version. And your right...just having the chinese version may not help keep it. Because I still get that annoying stupid pop up telling me to get useless skype. Everything is in Chinese except, when I click help it goes to the US site instead of the chinese version like its suppose to. NO IDEA why it goes to the US one. Maybe it has to do with knowing I'm in the US?
lol Also the dumb ads under the chat is also in english and says update by April 8th. Ugh so annoying. So ya I am starting to think I may be screwed. And connection tab??? Wtf are u talking about? There is no connection tab in msn anywhere. Or at least not on the one I'm using. o_0

AND ~

What Skype needs in order to be "good"

1) Custom emoticons (Smileys)
2) Custom nickname(NOT dumb first and last)
3) The nice friendly UI that WLM has (not the blue/white ugly Skype UI that I really hate)
4) Offline messages(which I don't ever recall getting when I used skype)
5) Display the personalized messages beside the name
6)  There was something here but I deleted it.
7) Open Hotmail/outlook emails from Skype
8 ) Nudges/winks for those who want them
9) Colored text/changing color of font at any time
10)  another that I deleted because it already works
11) hide from certain contacts (choose the people who can see you)
12) Pop-up telling you when you receive an email (hotmail/outlook)
13) Copy/paste images directly in the chat box
14) Holding F2 to send voice clip(60 seconds or longer)
15) Custom sound clips like MSG PLUS had

If Skype doesn't get those. I will never ever get it. End of story. Hense the reason I am desperate in keeping msn as long as possible.

Someone on here posted a LOONG time ago saying how you can registry hack the msn VERSION NUMBER In order to keep it for life and not have it force updates. Would that registry hack still work for the chinese version???? And I don't recall how to get into the msn VERSION number registry...I forgot where it was..lol

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-16-2013 at 09:37 AM

To get to the Connections tab, you have to go into Messenger's options. On the left column, there should be a tab labeled "Connections." That's how it works in Messenger 2009, at least. Don't know about the 2011 or 2012 versions.

Anyway, yeah, I also noticed the Skype update pop-up when you log into an account for the first time. I hadn't thought about the text advertisements, though, since I've always had them blocked with A-Patch...

In regards to hacking the registry and changing the version number, I don't know what good that would do to keep Messenger alive, since Microsoft is actually terminating the MSNP protocol everywhere but in China. If it's true that the Chinese Messenger client still connects to American servers, changing the version number would prove pointless.

The only viable option I see (assuming the Chinese client doesn't magically work after April 8) is somehow configuring Messenger to run under a Chinese SOCKS proxy. Unfortunately, I've already tried attempting to fiddle with Messenger's proxy options to no avail.

I'm hoping someone more tech-savy will come along and shed some light on the subject of preserving Messenger in some way, somehow. Otherwise, all we can do in the meantime is sit tight and wait until April to see what happens.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 03-16-2013 at 09:56 PM

Oh okay. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Ya I also hope someone comes around with a brilliant idea.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Shellz34 on 03-21-2013 at 01:51 PM

I can't understand why they can't just let us have MSN as well as their skype.

Not everyone loves skype like they obviously think. Skype STINKS!
MSN is a much more pleasant chat program to hang out on.
I made the move over to skype last week on my laptop and I honestly don't even bother to sign in there cause I hate the program. I continue to use MSN on my iPad and have gone back to Yahoo on my computer.

Good one microsoft. There's a lot of people out there who hate stinky skype and all you're doing is pushing them back to Yahoo if they want somewhere half decent to chat or trying anything behind the scenes fiddling with programming to keep something that's great.
I'm thinking of deleting skype and getting MSN back - at least for as long as possible. If someone comes up with a way of being able to keep it, I'm all in.

Another thing that peeved me (like the list in a previous post) is that you can't set different sign in sounds for different friends like you can on MSN.
There are times that my screen is turned off and I liked knowing if one of my favourites happened to sign in, rather than having to turn the monitor on each time I heard a sign in. Is that asking too much???

Just keep MSN and keep a lot of people very happy!
When I feel a company has done the dirty on me, it usually turns me off anything they have to offer or sell.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-21-2013 at 05:01 PM

I agree with you entirely.

It's unfortunate, though, that Microsoft probably won't listen to consumers about this. They bought the rights to Skype some time ago, and are now likely to shift forth all of their effort into it. From a business perspective, it makes sense, but it comes at the expense of their customers.

If I find ANY solution to keeping Messenger going after the cutoff date, I'll immediately post it here. I hope anyone else (that is, the thousand plus people who have read this thread but not posted in it) will do the same.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 03-21-2013 at 08:20 PM

My friend has msn and skype, but has an old version of msn(2011 I think)
And assumes it may trick microsoft. Because since he already has both...I don't see how they can TAKE msn from him. Any thoughts on this? Like just keeping Skype installed but not using it in hopes of keeping msn?

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 03-21-2013 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 1Rax
And assumes it may trick microsoft. Because since he already has both...I don't see how they can TAKE msn from him. Any thoughts on this? Like just keeping Skype installed but not using it in hopes of keeping msn?

I have the latest version of SKYPE when I updated WLM to the latest version, WLM disappeared. So I uninstalled WLM form Programs and Features in Windows 7 then went to my downloads folder and re installed live essentials (2011) which brought back messenger and the saved sound alerts I had. But after April 8th probably what will happen is, there will be a windows update that will permanently remove essentials. ugh!  :@
RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-21-2013 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Did your friend merge his Messenger account with Skype? Anyone can run Messenger and Skype alongside each other if the accounts aren't linked, so I don't really know what, exactly, he thinks is going to "trick" Microsoft. Moreover, the fact that he's using an older version of Messenger is irrelevant, since, as I said, the entire MSNP (the service that all Messenger versions connect to and operate on) is ultimately going to be shut down globally, save China, which is why theoretically, the only feasible option would seem to be accessing those Chinese servers where the MSNP is still running. Otherwise, it'll be like trying to connect a computer to the Internet without a modem/router. That's why the MSNP is so imperative.

Either way, though, I recommend anyone interested in the continued use of Messenger to avert from linking their account with Skype. I haven't tested this myself, but I don't know if it's still possible to detach one's Messenger account after it's been linked (and in turn, I don't know if doing this makes it impossible to sign in with that account again to Messenger). I know there was (and still may be) a way to opt out from the merge, but I predict the option of doing so will very soon be gone, if it isn't already. Keep your accounts separate, and tell any of your friends to do the same, at least until we know what happens after April 8.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-26-2013 at 03:52 PM

I just made a discovery, and it may not even be worth mentioning, but it's interesting regardless. Apparently, even after April 8, users will still be able to connect to and use the web Messenger in the Hotmail/Outlook interface.

At this point, I'm just throwing out ideas that may or may not be valid. I have VERY little knowledge on the subjects of software writing and development, but perhaps it's possible to get under the desktop Messenger's hood with some sort of editing program and change its network ports to match the web Messenger's? It's my supposition that the web Messenger's network ports are different to the desktop Messenger's, perhaps using an entirely different protocol, so maybe you could splice the two together somehow and sign in to the web Messenger via the desktop Messenger?

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Spunky on 03-27-2013 at 01:07 AM

You can't just "change" a program like this. The web messenger will more than likely be running as an Javascript interface to a server that relays standard messages to and from other WLM accounts. As far as I know it has no features of WLM and is no better than using an alternative client.

If WLM and Skype protocols are running side by side in the Skype client, some server has still got to be hosting it (to an extent; it more than likely relies on establishing a direct IP connection). That is the route I would go down personally, although I know first hand how complicated the protocol gets (I'm talking about MSNP8; we're on at least MSNP15 now).

IIRC WLM let you set proxy settings? A chinese proxy should do the trick without needing a chinese client. (Server thinks you are in china, could be travelling... therefore need access to the service)

AFAIK, all clients, versions, protocols etc use the same server and port (messenger.hotmail.com:1863). I think they will somehow restrict traffic through the gateway server; meaning the service will still be there, but inaccessible. This would be easiest to do by blocking IP ranges (why a proxy might work). I think MS would expect people to try this though and take other factors into consideration (In this situation I would personally look in to ping times; if ping>x ms then you are not really from China; I'm sure they'd be more refined than this though)

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-27-2013 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
IIRC WLM let you set proxy settings? A chinese proxy should do the trick without needing a chinese client. (Server thinks you are in china, could be travelling... therefore need access to the service)

AFAIK, all clients, versions, protocols etc use the same server and port (messenger.hotmail.com:1863). I think they will somehow restrict traffic through the gateway server; meaning the service will still be there, but inaccessible. This would be easiest to do by blocking IP ranges (why a proxy might work). I think MS would expect people to try this though and take other factors into consideration (In this situation I would personally look in to ping times; if ping>x ms then you are not really from China; I'm sure they'd be more refined than this though)
(Thank you for contributing to this thread.)

I described unresolved issues with forcing Messenger to use foreign SOCKS proxies on the first page. There's a blog post that explains you need to edit your hosts file and redirect all the network ports/URLs to your local host (cancelling them out in the process and forcing use of the proxy), since as long as there is a functioning TCP Internet connection present, Messenger will actually ignore custom-set proxies. However, in following these steps, I was still faced with problems, and I could not sign in with any SOCKS proxy. Maybe you'd wish to view that blog post and try your own hand at it?

Also, what is your opinion of those Chinese Messenger clients? Do you suppose they do, in fact, connect to Chinese servers? Are those clients any more likely to work than the regular English ones in any possible regards?
RE: RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 03-28-2013 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chattanooga
quote:
Did your friend merge his Messenger account with Skype? Anyone can run Messenger and Skype alongside each other if the accounts aren't linked, so I don't really know what, exactly, he thinks is going to "trick" Microsoft. Moreover, the fact that he's using an older version of Messenger is irrelevant, since, as I said, the entire MSNP (the service that all Messenger versions connect to and operate on) is ultimately going to be shut down globally, save China, which is why theoretically, the only feasible option would seem to be accessing those Chinese servers where the MSNP is still running. Otherwise, it'll be like trying to connect a computer to the Internet without a modem/router. That's why the MSNP is so imperative.

Either way, though, I recommend anyone interested in the continued use of Messenger to avert from linking their account with Skype. I haven't tested this myself, but I don't know if it's still possible to detach one's Messenger account after it's been linked (and in turn, I don't know if doing this makes it impossible to sign in with that account again to Messenger). I know there was (and still may be) a way to opt out from the merge, but I predict the option of doing so will very soon be gone, if it isn't already. Keep your accounts separate, and tell any of your friends to do the same, at least until we know what happens after April 8.
lol No he was using a opera email or something completely third party for an email account for skype. But ya the only thing that makes sense to me is the whole server thing. Other then that we don't exactly know how it will happen on the 8th. We will have to wait I guess. And I guess we figure it out then. See what happens with everyone
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Spunky on 03-29-2013 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Also, what is your opinion of those Chinese Messenger clients? Do you suppose they do, in fact, connect to Chinese servers? Are those clients any more likely to work than the regular English ones in any possible regards?

I would imagine have to imagine that the Chinese client uses the same server (I may actually check this at some point using a packet sniffer). I think the English client would probably work as long as the location can be spoofed, although Microsoft might release a "China Only" client and ban all other version numbers (can be overcome by hex editing the exe usually)
RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 03-30-2013 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I would imagine have to imagine that the Chinese client uses the same server (I may actually check this at some point using a packet sniffer). I think the English client would probably work as long as the location can be spoofed, although Microsoft might release a "China Only" client and ban all other version numbers (can be overcome by hex editing the exe usually)
Do let us know what your showings find on the current Chinese clients, if you ever get to checking them. Not to mention, though, if Microsoft did release a China-only client, somebody leaking it to the rest of the world would be inevitable.

Either way, in the event somebody actually does, in fact, make it possible to keep use of Messenger after its global shutdown, it's going to be a very impractical, roundabout method. Die-hard fans of Messenger such as myself, however, won't care about that.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Vipoke on 04-07-2013 at 09:38 PM

BUMP!

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 04-08-2013 at 03:55 PM

messenger still working in Clawson, Michigan. So maybe tomorrow it's disconnected?:^)

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by goku262002 on 04-08-2013 at 04:52 PM

Still working here in Quartz Hill, CA. and my friend is signed in on his phone in Reseda, CA.

So what is going on? I thought we'd be shutdown already.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-08-2013 at 05:30 PM

Ya xD
Still talking to my friend on msn, and its way past noon on his end. I guess they lied huh?

XD

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Tsukimaru on 04-09-2013 at 04:49 AM

Seems the petitions are doing something then....Which is what I was hoping for. I really hate to see messenger go. Hopefully they made Microsoft reconsider.

We could use a few more signatures if you all are interested.

https://www.change.org/petitions/hotmail-prevent-...rce=share_petition

I'm still able to use messenger, even logged in and out a few times to see if it was gone, but were still up thus far :)

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-09-2013 at 06:27 AM

And so the lurkers come out of the woodwork.

If I recall correctly, the full transition from Messenger to Skype is scheduled to take between April 8 and April 30, so I'm not surprised that Messenger still works. America and other English clients are said to be the first to go, however, so it could happen over the course of the next few days.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-09-2013 at 04:46 PM

No. I never got any emails from Microsoft that said that. They were suppose to get rid of it by now actually. They pushed back the date to April 8th. They were suppose to get rid of it in March originally.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Menthix on 04-09-2013 at 07:45 PM

Different dates have been communicated in different places. They'll probably do it in phases. But I really don't think petitions will have any kind of effect, certainly not at this stage.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-10-2013 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Different dates have been communicated in different places. They'll probably do it in phases. But I really don't think petitions will have any kind of effect, certainly not at this stage.
And certainly not with just 351 signers...
sorry but lol... I was expecting a petition with like thousands of signers

quote:
Originally posted by Tsukimaru
Seems the petitions are doing something then.... Which is what I was hoping for.
yup, wasting space on the net, nothing more I'm afraid.

As one commenter on that petition perfectly illustrates:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Harris
Microsoft has a bad habit of deciding what its customers want. They design OS users that exclude long-time users in favor of younger, hipper, computer illiterate crowds that can't use a keyboard.
And from my point of view this all started to really show when Vista came out and those new Offices with those contra-productive ribbons...
So I hate to see it go too, but those petitions will have no effect what-so-ever I'm afraid. There is no way to stop this.
RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-10-2013 at 04:26 AM

quote:
No. I never got any emails from Microsoft that said that. They were suppose to get rid of it by now actually. They pushed back the date to April 8th. They were suppose to get rid of it in March originally.
The transition of phasing users from Messenger to Skype isn't something that could happen in just one day. It's a huge migration process, which is why it's supposed to take between April 8 and 30.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-11-2013 at 04:44 AM

lol Well so far Microsoft seems to be Trolling big time about the whole process.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by riahc4 on 04-11-2013 at 02:19 PM

So thats why Im still signed in.....

IMO (this is serious), this would have never happened if Patchou was still in charge of Plus!

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-11-2013 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
IMO (this is serious), this would have never happened if Patchou was still in charge of Plus!
Oh come on... you can't be serious... how on earth would Patchou have been able to prevent all this????!?!
He is not the ceo nor president of Microsoft you know, he also isn't a member of the board of directors either, etc...
Seriously...

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-12-2013 at 01:53 AM

LOL

wow....

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-12-2013 at 03:14 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Oh come on... you can't be serious... how on earth would Patchou have been able to prevent all this????!?!
He is not the ceo nor president of Microsoft you know, he also isn't a member of the board of directors either, etc...
Seriously...

My thoughts exactly. And I thought the petition was bad.
RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Tsukimaru on 04-12-2013 at 08:54 PM

quote:
And so the lurkers come out of the woodwork.

If I recall correctly, the full transition from Messenger to Skype is scheduled to take between April 8 and April 30, so I'm not surprised that Messenger still works. America and other English clients are said to be the first to go, however, so it could happen over the course of the next few days.

The date for transition to skype was April 8th as the shut down date to messenger. It's now April 12th but still low and behold Messenger is working. I'd have to say that the complaints are doing something as messenger was intended to end in March, but didn't. Why? Honestly I can't say lol.

Now I know nothing about April 30th being the final date, but I'll just have to wait until then to see if we can still log in. All American Messenger servers were going down on April 8th so now I'm hoping they have reconsidered.

Time will tell though.

and honestly I'm not sure if it will have any effect or not, but putting it out there can't hurt even in this process of the stage. Maybe it will be in phases, maybe something got set back who knows...I have yet to read anything else past the April 8th date though which strikes me as odd.

As for petitions you would think there would be more, which makes me curious if there is others out in the wide web that are doing the same and it's all just spread out, because such a low number really doesn't add up with how many complaints have been filed on the Skype transition you know.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-14-2013 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tsukimaru
The date for transition to skype was April 8th as the shut down date to messenger. It's now April 12th but still low and behold Messenger is working. I'd have to say that the complaints are doing something as messenger was intended to end in March, but didn't. Why? Honestly I can't say lol.
Low and behold? This suggests to me that you're surprised.
But, this fits exactly in the road map as was officially announced.

12th April... meaning they just only started!!! Please read the official anouncements instead of basing your thoughts on make-believe, false hopes and wrong information and rumours.

Again, stuff like this is not done by flipping one switch overnight!!!!

So I don't understand why it is so difficult to understand that, and why people still insist in believing in fairy tales and/or jumping to conclusion, after official announcements have already explained most of it. On the other hand, it are posts exactly like some here in this thread that still make people believe they can stop this.

Petitions and the likes are not harmful in the literal sense but they do create serious false hope, not to mention fairy tales, and it is putting wrong ideas in people’s heads (eg: that the complaints help because some can still log in into Messenger). Many posts on this and other forums are the proof of that.

TReKiE has made a nice blog post about this, including links to the official announcements:
http://messengergeek.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/the...e-march-15th-2013/

I very strongly suggest to all to read this (and the links of course) before jumping to conclusions like "MS has reconsidered because I can still log in on 12th April".
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chancer on 04-14-2013 at 04:32 PM

Cookie, don't waste your time trying to explain.
The same way they come here posting that "MS has reconsidered", soon they will return complaining that "MSN is no longer working / Why did MS do this? / Why didn't they tell us before?" and so on...

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Tsukimaru on 04-15-2013 at 10:17 AM

quote:
12th April... meaning they just only started!!! Please read the official anouncements instead of basing your thoughts on make-believe, false hopes and wrong information and rumours.

As I clearly stated, I will have to wait and see what happens until April 30th as I heard nothing prior to that save the email I got on April 3rd. It was only until April 8th came around that most heard about the transition moving from March 15 - April 8th to April 8th - April 30th. Then I get on Messenger to see if it's still up on April 12th and it's up. So yes I was surprised, I can not see how that comes as a shock to you seeing as Messenger stated in the email
"All American Servers Will Be Shut Down On April 8th, Switch to Skype." So I was going by fact's when I posted that on the 12th and further looked into it afterwards. The move has been a bit messy and delays happen, which is why I want to see what happens until April 30th. So it was "outdated information", which were expressed through "my thoughts" seeing as it was my post, rumors have nothing to do with it, and hope that it will fall through? If that is what you mean yes I hope that. Will it happen? Doubtful, perhaps another setback perchance as people don't want to see Messenger go that have used it for so long. 

quote:
So I don't understand why it is so difficult to understand that, and why people still insist in believing in fairy tales and/or jumping to conclusion, after official announcements have already explained most of it. On the other hand, it are posts exactly like some here in this thread that still make people believe they can stop this.

Well again they don't want to see it go, can you blame them? I know your going by facts as we all should, but others feeling like they are doing something is better then sitting around waiting for the final deadline to drop. It's not that hard to understand.

quote:
Petitions and the likes are not harmful in the literal sense but they do create serious false hope, not to mention fairy tales, and it is putting wrong ideas in people’s heads (eg: that the complaints help because some can still log in into Messenger). Many posts on this and other forums are the proof of that.

They are not harmful in any sense, they just let people voice out what they believe in a larger and louder voice to express that they do not want this to happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Oh and thanks for the link btw, not a bad read on the updated parts of it at least.

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Cookie, don't waste your time trying to explain.
The same way they come here posting that "MS has reconsidered", soon they will return complaining that "MSN is no longer working / Why did MS do this? / Why didn't they tell us before?" and so on...

Chancer....I fail to even see the point in your post on the topic at hand beside your obvious want to be a sycophant. I hate to break your bubble though, but if it does happen...Then it happens.  "I told you so" and "Why did this happen" Will hardly do any good before, or after it's over and done with....Unless that's what you want to happen?

Anyways thanks for the update CookieRevised, I'll wait till April 30th and see what happens.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-15-2013 at 06:31 PM

I don't recall ever hearing that the first deadline would extend past March 15 to April 8. After they pushed it back from March 15, it was my sole understanding that the transition would happen over a course of time between April 8 and 30, not just on one single day. They touted April 8 as nothing more than simply marking the beginning of the transition.

More on the actual subject of the shutdown, I discovered recently that computers running anything older than Windows XP will still be given access to Messenger until either later this year in October or March next year, I can't remember. I also don't know if this "OS detection" can be fooled by simply running Messenger in compatibility mode for an older system (I'm currently using Messenger 8.5 under Windows Server 2003 compatibility), but it brings curious new information to the table.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-18-2013 at 12:01 AM

lol ANYWAY....

I tested out "aMSN" alternative lol just to get use to it before microsoft screws us. So far I Hate it...the skins are awful, very choppy and dull. Adding emoticons is just as easy as msn. The "options" are pretty lame, I see no options what so ever for video so I guess I have to assume it auto adjusts and automatically works? umm...ya I may test QQInternational next.
I hear all good stuff about it

Windows XP users get to keep msn? How so? Where the hell did you read that? I have not found any news of the whole msn thing in over a month. I don't get any new emails or info from any sites anymore.

And lol...who the bloody hell is still using XP?

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-18-2013 at 12:48 AM

It has little to do with what OS you're running. It has mostly to do with what protocol is used by the application or by Messenger (or by its many clones) to connect to the Messenger servers, switchboards and services.

See the link I posted before.

Aka: this info is known for some time now and not "new" at all (at least to those who actively read and follow the appropriate blogs and forums...again, see the link I posted).
eg: the 'news' that they pushed back the start date to 8th April was already announced in februari, if not earlier.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the cutoff date will be pushed back even more (silently or not). All we can do is enjoy while it lasts.

(and there are still many people using XP..... and tbh why not... nothing wrong with it).

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-18-2013 at 05:20 PM

Tested QQinternational. Well not rly it wouldn't allow me to use my hotmail to sign in. Meaning it's a worthless piece of crap! Already aMSN is better then that.
aMSN actually allows sign in using your hotmail account. QQ forces you to make a new account just to TEST it????...that's a load of shit. So no...QQ is terrible in that aspect. That would mean I'd have to spend HOURS AND HOURS re adding all my contacts if I made another account. HA....total garbage

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-18-2013 at 10:33 PM

If, when Messenger shuts down, there's absolutely no possible way of circumventing the block, Trillian will become my new IM service of choice. I'll use it for the sole purpose of linking it to my Skype account so that I can retain somewhat of a similar interface Messenger had.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 04-18-2013 at 10:46 PM

Too bad Trillian doesn't have Sound notifications for emails like WLM. I would be a customer if this were so.:(

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by GSAYER1 on 04-21-2013 at 06:18 PM

I had disagreed with Microsofts aspect of pushing users to Skype , just so they could boast their Skype user numbers. Microsoft made it very clear that Windows Live Messenger ( MSN ) would no longer work and would not be able to sign into the program after April 8/2013. However I decided not to do the upgrade it keeps prompting me to do, and to this day my MSN is still functioning just fine as it did before.

However I know of several people who use Windows Live Messenger program ( MSN ) and they were duped into installing Skype and merging the accounts, Taking away the normal MSN window user interface that they were used to, with what appeared to be no way to go back.

I have found the solution and it worked for everyone so far. From windows XP , Vista to Win 7.... go into the control panel and to the ADD/REMOVE programs  (Xp) or Programs and Features (vista/Win7 ) list .. find in the list windows live messenger. Uninstall it . Now Find an older copy of WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS go to CNET downloads or a reputable site , possibly even Microsoft is still hosting an older version of WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS. I had the file from a previous download that I had saved.  Download the WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS , install it , making sure you Select or check mark the box where it says WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER , everything else can be unchecked , unless you wanted something else installed from that LiVE ESSENTIALS package.

That's it! it will install everything you left checked marked, and with that a reinstall of WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER ( MSN ) . Working fine and dandy as it did before the Skype upgrade. The account merger doesn't have anything to do with at this point. I had also left the Skype installation as it was. The only program uninstalled from the add remove programs list was WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER. Then reinstalled with the WINDOWS LIVE ESSENTIALS package.

good luck and hope this helps a few get their MSN client back.

peace on earth

G

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-22-2013 at 04:13 PM

GSAYER1, thanks for the "tip", but you do know that "Windows Live Essentials" is just the same as Windows Live Messenger, no?

That is, the 'Essentials' suite is just a package combining all the Windows Live branded products.... including the exact same Windows Live Messenger as if you would install it on its own. So, there is nothing special about the Essentials suite in regards to Windows Live Messenger.

The only reason it might (note: might) still work is that you installed an older version of Windows Live Messenger which uses an older(?) or different(?) protocol than the newest version, or uses a different method to connect and/or uses different switchboard servers or something.

Just as explained before, including in the official announcements of Microsoft itself! (that is: some stuff will continue to work till October 2013, other stuff till March 2014, etc).

But eventually, it probably wont work anymore either though.

quote:
TReKiE has made a nice blog post about this, including links to the official announcements:
http://messengergeek.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/the...e-march-15th-2013/

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 04-24-2013 at 01:19 PM

Well, it's official. Messenger has been eliminated. Today a little window popped up telling me I must install the new version of messenger. (it gave me a choice lol, but when I said no, the program asking me if I wanted to install the new version popped up again) Also if I said no and tried to log in to the old version of messenger it would just pop up the would you like to install the new version of messenger would pop up. (i hate being forcedF**ked)

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-24-2013 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Well, it's official. Messenger has been eliminated. Today a little window popped up telling me I must install the new version of messenger. (it gave me a choice lol, but when I said no, the program asking me if I wanted to install the new version popped up again) Also if I said no and tried to log in to the old version of messenger it would just pop up the would you like to install the new version of messenger would pop up. (i hate being forcedF**ked)
Try using TReKiE's "Messenger Reviver 2":
http://messengergeek.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/use...er-and-beat-skype/

(read instructions carefully)
RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 04-24-2013 at 02:17 PM

quote:
quote:

thank you! thank you! thank you!
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 04-24-2013 at 03:28 PM

Anyone else receiving this sign in problem, simply just run Messenger in compatibility mode for Windows Server 2003, no patch necessary. Works with at least WLM 14 and lower.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CocoP on 04-24-2013 at 04:47 PM

Does this patch still allow full functionality for msn plus?

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Benji on 04-24-2013 at 08:16 PM

Thank you so much chattanooga!

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-25-2013 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CocoP
Does this patch still allow full functionality for msn plus?
It is always possible that certain things wont function 100% anymore using the compatibility 'trick'.
(see older threads where setting the compatibility is used to circumvent update notices and where certain problems are reported)
PS: this isn't a patch though, it is a Windows setting.

As an alternative you can use TReKiE's "Messenger Reviver 2":
PS: this is a patch, 100% compatible with addons like Messenger Plus!.

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 04-25-2013 at 04:37 PM

quote:
quote:

wow! it's amazing how many responses the Messenger Reviver 2 site is getting. My email box has been filling up with answered responses by Jonathan ( the moderator) Boy, he must be tired answering all the comments.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 04-25-2013 at 11:14 PM

I never knew that existed! thank you!

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Tabb on 04-26-2013 at 03:06 AM

My WLM was uninstalled without my consent but I found a way to revive it and continue using it. Just use the WLM reviver it works and you can continue using msnplus too! If they wanted us to transition to Skype happily they should of fixed the program and added the featured WLM had for free and not charge us! Absoulte shit! My long distant boyfriend and I have had so much trouble getting to simply talk and see each other not to mention family member issues.
Here is the link to WLM Reviver, HERE . I hope this helps anyone who has been fed up with Skype!

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by CookieRevised on 04-26-2013 at 03:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tabb
My WLM was uninstalled without my consent but I found a way to revive it and continue using it. Just use the WLM reviver it works and...........
Thank you for the link, but please read a thread before posting, or at least the last couple of posts.
All previous 8 posts are about the Messenger Reviver, and the link has been posted 4 times already.

EDIT:
quote:
Apparently I wasn't on the last page Lol.
oopsie ;-)

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Tabb on 04-26-2013 at 08:22 AM

quote:
quote:
My WLM was uninstalled without my consent but I found a way to revive it and continue using it. Just use the WLM reviver it works and...........
Thank you for the link, but please read a thread before posting, or at least the last couple of posts.
All previous 8 posts are about the Messenger Reviver, and the link has been posted 4 times already.

Apparently I wasn't on the last page Lol.
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by ika on 04-26-2013 at 04:07 PM

wow that helps me a lot. thanks dude for link

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Eksh on 04-30-2013 at 04:02 PM

Thanks for the link! Shared it with friends and it's working

anyone has an idea how it works?

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 05-01-2013 at 01:30 AM

lol Last day for msn and its still working(without reviver)

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by priuscat on 05-01-2013 at 01:36 AM

quote:
lol Last day for msn and its still working(without reviver)

Lucky for you. Hope your luck doesn't run out.:D
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 05-02-2013 at 08:36 PM

Ya my luck went out. xD I WAS using the Chinese version which was still running. But since I knew it was still working I assumed the US version would for some reason. xD So Now Im gonna try the reviver and see what happens on the US version.

RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by preguntonontrack on 06-08-2013 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Ya my luck went out. xD I WAS using the Chinese version which was still running. But since I knew it was still working I assumed the US version would for some reason. xD So Now Im gonna try the reviver and see what happens on the US version.

So how it went? How good it is? What does not work? Any privacy threat you can share?
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 06-10-2013 at 08:34 PM

lol Ya it works perfectly. I had no issues. I did the reviver and it was totally seamless...And I only had to use it once. The Skype thing pops up though asking me to update but it is not forcing me to get rid of msn. Talking to my friend everyday on it. Flawless. There is no reason for anyone to go to skype anymore since the Reviver works perfectly.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by Chattanooga on 06-27-2013 at 04:44 AM

I just thought I should let everyone who's using the revive patch know that it's only a band-aid solution, as Microsoft is still terminating the MSNP next year. All the patch does is provide the same result as running Messenger in compatibility mode in that it bypasses the forced Skype upgrade and lets you sign in, but without actually having to run the program in compatibility mode. Messenger will stop working conventionally after the MSNP is shut down next year, along with the non-Chinese servers, so we'll likely have to resort back to looking at Chinese proxies and other region-related means of circumvention come 2014.

RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8 by 1Rax on 06-27-2013 at 06:59 PM

lol Hmm...I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.