What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Plus! Meeting, London '09

Pages: (19): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
Plus! Meeting, London '09
Author: Message:
ixesha

RE: Plus! Meeting, London '09
If you purchase train tickets way in advance they work out very cheap. From Birmingham (I think that's where you are, traxor) an Advance Single from Birmingham New Street to Marylebone (one change, but that reduces the cost) is £5.00, if you bought it today online (www.thetrainline.com). So, two of those cheap singles is a tenner - add a travelcard for Zones 1 and 2 (I suspect we wouldn't venture that far outside Central London) - and you're talking under £20 for the day's travel.

Edit: in fact if you go from Birmingham Snow Hill they go directly to to Marylebone, for a fiver still.

This post was edited on 02-27-2009 at 01:13 PM by ixesha.
02-27-2009 01:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
I think trax has a problem with the money that he'd have to dish out once he is there (eating, going places etc) rather than getting there..
Over all, if you're relatively close by (even if its an hour or two from the city+city travel time) cost of travelling is lesser than the money that'd be spent there imo :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
02-27-2009 03:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
I'll come too and disturb your all guy party :P
(just signed up at the google group)

Finance wise it's bad timing but blah (yes i'll have to go in debt for this).
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-28-2009 03:17 PM
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
Hi guys, long time no see! :)

It's great to see a London meeting and if there's any chance I'm able to make it I'll be there.  The problem for me seems to be the transport.  It looks as though there are closures along the east coast mainline that weekend so an alternate route may be required.
02-28-2009 06:17 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
oh god, weekend = TUBE ENGINEERING WORKS! ....bloody olympics

so far only jubilee and district are affected. im sure there will be more!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime...ate.aspx?offset=14

This post was edited on 02-28-2009 at 10:50 PM by M73A.

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
02-28-2009 10:49 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: RE: Plus! Meeting, London '09
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I think trax has a problem with the money that he'd have to dish out once he is there (eating, going places etc) rather than getting there..
Over all, if you're relatively close by (even if its an hour or two from the city+city travel time) cost of travelling is lesser than the money that'd be spent there imo :)

That's exactly the point, getting there is okay. I don't mind spending the £15 on travel, because that's quite reasonable, it's just the fact that spending more money is inevitable. I'm spending £400 on driving lessons this weekend, it's been my Dad's birthday and my Mum & Dad's 25th wedding anniversary, so I'm pretty much wiped clean dry.

I do feel as though I'm missing out, but I'm very careful with my money now that I have a business to invest in, so spending money to go into my overdraft is a big no go for me. It's not that I don't want to. I'll give you a call on the day though to see how it's going.
03-01-2009 10:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Guess I won't be able to make it afterall. Prices (both airline tickets and hostel prices) seem to have skyrocketed and after doing some calculations I found I would have to go in debt (creditcard) 300 euros for travel and lodging alone....

..I'm sorry but that's just too much for one day of fun :cry:

What's wrong with Amsterdam (or Antwerp)?

Edit: Just to clarify, it's not the amount that's too much (I do recognise this once in a lifetime opportunity). It's the fact that paying off such a debt would take me at least 6 months! A few months would have been acceptable. Again, I'm truly sorry.

This post was edited on 03-02-2009 at 11:33 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-01-2009 01:20 PM
ixesha

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
That's exactly the point, getting there is okay. I don't mind spending the £15 on travel, because that's quite reasonable, it's just the fact that spending more money is inevitable.

I can't see what much more you would actually need to spend in London itself. Theoretically.. £10 for a cinema ticket if we went to see a film, £10 for some lunch. What else is there? Museums are free, the outside St Patty's Day events will be free, parks are free, travelling around the city is covered in a travelcard, all the sightseeing is free, maybe if you bought a drink that's another £5.. I would guess nothing over £50 for the whole day - maximum/worst case scenario. More likely £35 tops.
03-01-2009 06:08 PM
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
Just had the link to this thread thrust in my direction!

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
What'll probably end up happening is we'll walk around like last time until someone finds somewhere suitable to eat or drink, or something to do.
And, being March, I might not melt to death! ;)

Dunno if I'll be there.  Way behind with uni assignments at the moment, and I've only just come back from a rather expensive (money & time) weekend in London :s

Not that many people around here will remember who the hell I am :p
03-02-2009 04:57 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: Plus! Meeting, London '09
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Edit: Just to clarify, it's not the amount that's too much (I do recognise this once in a lifetime opportunity). It's the fact that paying off such a debt would take me at least 6 months! A few months would have been acceptable. Again, I'm truly sorry.

I agree. I wouldn't live in debt even if you paid me to.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
03-02-2009 05:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (19): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: