What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Continuing to use Messenger after April 8

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Continuing to use Messenger after April 8
Author: Message:
1Rax

38 / – / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8
quote:
Originally posted by Chattanooga
quote:
Originally posted by 1Rax
My friend has msn and skype, but has an old version of msn(2011 I think)
And assumes it may trick microsoft. Because since he already has both...I don't see how they can TAKE msn from him. Any thoughts on this? Like just keeping Skype installed but not using it in hopes of keeping msn?
Did your friend merge his Messenger account with Skype? Anyone can run Messenger and Skype alongside each other if the accounts aren't linked, so I don't really know what, exactly, he thinks is going to "trick" Microsoft. Moreover, the fact that he's using an older version of Messenger is irrelevant, since, as I said, the entire MSNP (the service that all Messenger versions connect to and operate on) is ultimately going to be shut down globally, save China, which is why theoretically, the only feasible option would seem to be accessing those Chinese servers where the MSNP is still running. Otherwise, it'll be like trying to connect a computer to the Internet without a modem/router. That's why the MSNP is so imperative.

Either way, though, I recommend anyone interested in the continued use of Messenger to avert from linking their account with Skype. I haven't tested this myself, but I don't know if it's still possible to detach one's Messenger account after it's been linked (and in turn, I don't know if doing this makes it impossible to sign in with that account again to Messenger). I know there was (and still may be) a way to opt out from the merge, but I predict the option of doing so will very soon be gone, if it isn't already. Keep your accounts separate, and tell any of your friends to do the same, at least until we know what happens after April 8.
lol No he was using a opera email or something completely third party for an email account for skype. But ya the only thing that makes sense to me is the whole server thing. Other then that we don't exactly know how it will happen on the 8th. We will have to wait I guess. And I guess we figure it out then. See what happens with everyone
03-28-2013 01:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8
quote:
Originally posted by Chattanooga
Also, what is your opinion of those Chinese Messenger clients? Do you suppose they do, in fact, connect to Chinese servers? Are those clients any more likely to work than the regular English ones in any possible regards?

I would imagine have to imagine that the Chinese client uses the same server (I may actually check this at some point using a packet sniffer). I think the English client would probably work as long as the location can be spoofed, although Microsoft might release a "China Only" client and ban all other version numbers (can be overcome by hex editing the exe usually)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-29-2013 07:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chattanooga

O.P. RE: RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I would imagine have to imagine that the Chinese client uses the same server (I may actually check this at some point using a packet sniffer). I think the English client would probably work as long as the location can be spoofed, although Microsoft might release a "China Only" client and ban all other version numbers (can be overcome by hex editing the exe usually)
Do let us know what your showings find on the current Chinese clients, if you ever get to checking them. Not to mention, though, if Microsoft did release a China-only client, somebody leaking it to the rest of the world would be inevitable.

Either way, in the event somebody actually does, in fact, make it possible to keep use of Messenger after its global shutdown, it's going to be a very impractical, roundabout method. Die-hard fans of Messenger such as myself, however, won't care about that.
03-30-2013 08:27 AM
Vipoke

BUMP!
04-07-2013 09:38 PM
priuscat

71 / Male / Flag
messenger still working in Clawson, Michigan. So maybe tomorrow it's disconnected?:^)
04-08-2013 03:55 PM
goku262002

10 Years! Still going strong.

36 / Male / Flag
Still working here in Quartz Hill, CA. and my friend is signed in on his phone in Reseda, CA.

So what is going on? I thought we'd be shutdown already.
04-08-2013 04:52 PM
1Rax

38 / – / Flag
Ya xD
Still talking to my friend on msn, and its way past noon on his end. I guess they lied huh?

XD
04-08-2013 05:30 PM
Tsukimaru

Seems the petitions are doing something then....Which is what I was hoping for. I really hate to see messenger go. Hopefully they made Microsoft reconsider.

We could use a few more signatures if you all are interested.

https://www.change.org/petitions/hotmail-prevent-...rce=share_petition

I'm still able to use messenger, even logged in and out a few times to see if it was gone, but were still up thus far :)

This post was edited on 04-09-2013 at 04:49 AM by Tsukimaru.
04-09-2013 04:49 AM
Chattanooga

O.P. RE: Continuing to use Messenger after April 8
And so the lurkers come out of the woodwork.

If I recall correctly, the full transition from Messenger to Skype is scheduled to take between April 8 and April 30, so I'm not surprised that Messenger still works. America and other English clients are said to be the first to go, however, so it could happen over the course of the next few days.
04-09-2013 06:27 AM
1Rax

38 / – / Flag
No. I never got any emails from Microsoft that said that. They were suppose to get rid of it by now actually. They pushed back the date to April 8th. They were suppose to get rid of it in March originally.
04-09-2013 04:46 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: