What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! Sound Library Fixer (3.00.0021)

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Messenger Plus! Sound Library Fixer (3.00.0021)
Author: Message:
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! Sound Library Fixer (3.00.0021)
You can just ignore it.  I can assure you that the file is safe.  Virus detectors will often say that things are "malicious" or a "threat" from MsgPlus (or associated sites) because of the optional ad-ware in the MsgPlus unstaller (and realistically it isn't that bad, Patchou has made sure it doesn't do any damage).  Just don't stress about it and use the ignore button and everything should be alright.

Thanks for reporting this to us though, we may get in contact with AVG and recommend they look into the reasoning behind this and try to fix it.
[Image: markee.png]
12-08-2007 04:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DanKane316

34 / Male / Flag
still dont open... when i click ignore. i even exit and shut down AVG and it still wont open :(
12-08-2007 05:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! Sound Library Fixer (3.00.0021)
There is absolutely nothing in the file/source that even could be considered a threat!!!!!!

The only thing it does is accessing a registry setting which has absolutely no further value at all for Windows or any other program than Plus!. And that is also the only link to Plus! in the whole file; a registry setting....

It is absolutely flabbergasting rediculus that this is detected as a virus!

Thanks for reporting though....

------------------------

Make sure you have truely closed AVG (quite often such anti-virus programs do not completely close when you exit them, or they might still have a Windows Service running in the background). Then redownload the file and save it to your hard disk first.

Never run an application straight from the download dialog, that's asking for trouble (but that is another matter). And don't save downloads to your desktop either, that's very messy.

Clicking on ignore in anti-virus programs also quite often still put the file in quarity, meaning that you indeed can't start the file/program. Ignore in such cases does not mean "ignore this threat", but often means "do not attempt to remove the virus, but keep the file as-is and block it from being used".

However, AVG shouldn't do that, and when you click on ignore it should completely leave the file alone. To solve this issue you better contact support of AVG itself.

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-09-2007 04:48 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Looks like AVG will be heading the same route as Norton with it's "uber dangerous registry calls" :(
12-09-2007 04:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Looks like AVG will be heading the same route as Norton with it's "uber dangerous registry calls" :(
of course, the more you can protect scare your users, the better your product is....

[/OFF TOPIC]
12-09-2007 05:05 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
I'm trying to run the file, but getting an error. Yes, I've downloaded the redistributables and have and registered the ocx file.
The zip file extracts the exe fine, but the exe only has the default executable icon, and i get the attached error when running it

.jpg File Attachment: soundfixer.jpg (14.33 KB)
This file has been downloaded 469 time(s).
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
12-09-2007 04:31 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Here's an update. After I restarted my PC and ran the checker again, AVG opened up and wants to clean the file. Obviously, i select ignore. Disabling AVG's resident shield allowed the file to run.

FYI, AVG detected the file as Obfustat.EVT

.jpg File Attachment: avgsoundfixer.jpg (18.48 KB)
This file has been downloaded 438 time(s).
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
12-09-2007 06:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Yes, that is the same issue what DanKane316 posted before. There is nothing wrong or malicious in this tool at all. MS Word does far more "damaging" than this tool.

-------------

DanKane316, exit/disable AVG completely. Just exiting AVG doesn't close it completely. As MeEtc has said, disable AVG's Resident Shield  Service too....

(and that is, on a personal note, what I so dislike about the modern anti-whatever programs... they are quite often as hard, if not harder to get rid of than (some) spyware. Exiting an application should close it completely)....
12-09-2007 06:38 PM
louiselouise

– / – / Flag
The Sound Library Fix doesn't work with Vista (though silly me should've noticed the first post was in 2005!).

My niece loved her library of sounds and was forever bugging me with them on MSN. When she tries to send me them now, they appear as weird numbers and letters. I've tried uninstalling her Messenger Plus! and putting new Sound Packs on, but it's still doing it.

Anyone have any ideas, please? (I'm on XP and my Sound Library still works fine).

This post was edited on 07-20-2008 at 01:36 AM by louiselouise.
07-19-2008 11:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Bigsteve30

– / Male / –
if u need the COMCTL32.ocx try
http://www.nitropdf.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10031

open the MsgPlusLibFix the same place the comctl32.ocx file is and its works fine but i'm on Xp still because i hate Vista and nothing works right
07-20-2008 12:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: