What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Can't make a clean shortcut to "online" status

Can't make a clean shortcut to "online" status
Author: Message:
Quazar_x_

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Can't make a clean shortcut to "online" status
Great update in december, congratualtions!

Two little problems about personalized statuses...

For personalized statuses, the last update of Plus! allows to chose among any status, instead of only away or busy. It was needed, because having a shortcut to set to "away" but having no shortcut to set it back to "online" is just the half of the function.

So, we can now set our status to "online" in half a second. However, it behaves like other statuses, while we cannot leave the "status suffix" field blank. I can put a space, but it will appear as "( )" after my name.

I remember some years ago, there was a general shortcut to "set personalized status off", and just come back to previous state, which was perfect. Can this be done again? (that general shortcut was ctrl-#)

The other problem about personalized status is that when we are on such a status, let's say "away" for example. If there is a status suffix, and if we disconnect while this status is activated, our next connection, on this computer or on another, will show that suffix even on the online status (which is set as we connect).

Would it be possible to add a function that aumatically disable any personalized status when we disconnect to avoid that?

Thank you, and keep your good work!

Quazar
01-02-2008 06:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Can't make a clean shortcut to "online" status
quote:
Originally posted by Quazar_x_
So, we can now set our status to "online" in half a second. However, it behaves like other statuses, while we cannot leave the "status suffix" field blank. I can put a space, but it will appear as "( )" after my name.
Congratulation for that workaround. However, you don't have to fill status suffix field, filling only one item is enough and in your case it must be auto-responder message, and if you wish, you can filter out everyone from its special filter to prevent people receive that, for instance, one space auto-reply when they message you.

But there is a way better method. This script: StatusKey It has two functions to set a status: either with mouse click on desired status's button after viewing its special nice small "status selector" pop-up window which pops-up at the cursor's position when you press on Alt+S on your keyboard -or- more easily with shortcut keys which you can define for all real statuses, even for signing out. Yeah, use it, at least until resetting the perso status option will be avaliable in real Plus!. I have a great hope for this.
quote:
The other problem about personalized status is that when we are on such a status, let's say "away" for example. If there is a status suffix, and if we disconnect while this status is activated, our next connection, on this computer or on another, will show that suffix even on the online status (which is set as we connect).

Would it be possible to add a function that aumatically disable any personalized status when we disconnect to avoid that?
Disabling personalized status at the moment of disconnecting would not help. Actually, personalized statuses are already removed from messenger when it disconnects, unless you use the great Remember Status script (*). Still, even if it is remembered, your name will have already been updated on the server and to turn it back to the previous one, you must signin again and remove personalized status (if it is still active) from your messenger or the tag from your name and you must wait for about half of a minute in order the old name to be saved at the server again. Samely, Messenger Plus! can delay the signing out when user is signing out while there is a persoanlized status. I mean, when you want to sign-out, Messenger Plus! can automatically disable personalized status and wait for example for 30 seconds and then sign you out, but I admit this would be very stupid and annoying and there is no chance this to be implemented in Plus!. Though, there is a way simpler method to do this. You can disable the Messenger option, Tools>General: "Use the same display picture and personal message everywhere I sign-in." This will also disable updating your display name at the server and it will do the trick for you. But remember that you must disable it while any personalized status tag is not added to your name and you'll lose the roaming dps and psms feature as well with this option disabled.

(*)Offtopic: CookieRevised, don't get me wrong on this please, because I know you say "this script will not remember personalized statuses and any script can't  remember a temporary personalized status" But you may haven't noticed that this script helps Messenger Plus! to keep a personalized status on memory until Messenger exits because this script prevents Messenger to turn to the default signin status in case of a disconnection, which is really great, you may consider modifying the explanation about the personalized status on the script's page on the database ;) (of course if you didn't notice this hidden feature before)

:o How a long post!

Edit: Btw, what is this doing in bug reports? I will report it to be moved to General Talk forum.

This post was edited on 01-02-2008 at 11:37 PM by ahmetgns.
01-02-2008 11:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
If you reconnect on the same computer after a disconnection (eg: connection was lost for a moment), Plus! should normally revert back to the personalised status. If you reconnect on the same computer after you've signed out when you were in a personalised status, and you set another status than the personalised status, Plus! should normaly remove the suffix from your name too (after you connect again).

It is another story when you (re)connect on a different computer. In that case it depends on your roaming setting ("Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in") if the suffix is still there or not. If you have that option enabled, then Messenger will store your screen name on its own servers. And since there is an added suffix to your name, it is stored with it since it is part of your screen name.

Even adding an option in Plus! to remove this suffix upon disconnecting (no matter how you disconnected) will not always solve this issue. Moreover, it will break the current Plus! behaviour of remembering your pers. status. And I'm not even sure if such an option is possible since if you are disconnected, Plus! doesn't have the time anymore to remove any suffix either, let alone Messenger having the time to update the name on its servers...

Either don't use a suffix for the personalised status, or either disable your roaming setting if you don't want Messenger to get your previous name (with added suffix) from its server when you (re)connect on a different computer.

------------

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
(*)Offtopic: CookieRevised, don't get me wrong on this please, because I know you say "this script will not remember personalized statuses and any script can't  remember a temporary personalized status" But you may haven't noticed that this script helps Messenger Plus! to keep a personalized status on memory until Messenger exits because this script prevents Messenger to turn to the default signin status in case of a disconnection, which is really great, you may consider modifying the explanation about the personalized status on the script's page on the database ;) (of course if you didn't notice this hidden feature before)
That script will NOT remember a personalised status. It also will NOT "help Messenger Plus! to keep a personalized status on memory until Messenger exits". There is no "hidden" feature in it and no description should be changed in any way.

EDIT:
quote:
Alright alright, no problem, I can wait until you edit your post above like "Yeah, indeed :)" after trying what I am saying. Key word: Try it!
Key word: not!...

Have you tried it without this script? You'll see that Plus! will keep your pers. status when you reconnect after a disconnection, no matter what default status you had saved. This script isn't needed for that. The same for when you change your status to the previous pers. status before signing in. Hence there is no "hidden" feature, Plus! already does it. The script will ONLY set the signin status to the last used status in Messenger.

PS: Not to mention your reply to Quazar's "other problem" is full of things/statements which aren't correct:
1) Pers. statusses are not removed when you disconnect, no matter if you use 'Remember Status'. 2) Messenger can not delay the signing out (if you state this as a hypothetical feature, then say so instead of insinuating Plus! already does this). 3) And "But remember that you must disable it while any personalized status tag is not added to your name" makes no sense.

This post was edited on 01-03-2008 at 10:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-03-2008 04:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Alright alright, no problem, I can wait until you edit your post above like "Yeah, indeed :)" after trying what I am saying. Key word: Try it!

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
That script will NOT remember a personalised status. It also will NOT "help Messenger Plus! to keep a personalized status on memory until Messenger exits". There is no "hidden" feature in it and no description should be changed in any way.

Thank you for the explanation. I didn't know those things.
quote:
EDIT:
quote:
Key word: not!...

Have you tried it without this script? You'll see that Plus! will keep your pers. status when you reconnect after a disconnection, no matter what default status you had saved. This script isn't needed for that. The same for when you change your status to the previous pers. status before signing in. Hence there is no "hidden" feature, Plus! already does it. The script will ONLY set the signin status to the last used status in Messenger.
But I have tried it about ten times, with the script and then without the script. And all of my tests were supporting me, too bad for me. But after I read your explanations, I tried many times and those times, always my statements have failed and yours has won. Did you do something to my computer :P

However let me say why I knew all of these things wrong. Because of arch's post:
quote:
Originally posted by arch
Let's say that I create (again) a personal status "auto ip".  I will be able to set that status manually.  However, when Windows Live Messenger disconnects and, then, reconnects it will not be in the status auto ip, and I will have to reset it manually.  If I am on a trip, a manual reset will not be possible.  Since WLM does disconnect and reconnect from time to time,  this is a problem.  Therefore, I would like the status auto ip to be reset automatically each time there is a reconnect.
And I believed he is correct and I wrote my above reply according to his sayings.

quote:
PS: Not to mention your reply to Quazar's "other problem" is full of things/statements which aren't correct:
1) Pers. statusses are not removed when you disconnect, no matter if you use 'Remember Status'.
again :@@arch
quote:
2) Messenger can not delay the signing out (if you state this as a hypothetical feature, then say so instead of insinuating Plus! already does this)
OK.
quote:
3) And "But remember that you must disable it while any personalized status tag is not added to your name" makes no sense.
I think this sentence does still make sense :P If he disables it while a tag is already saved at the server, then even if he removes the tag from this computer, other computers will retrieve that name from the server with that tag again. I hope this is correct this time.

This post was edited on 01-03-2008 at 03:29 PM by ahmetgns.
01-03-2008 05:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: