What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Mac Users ?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
Mac Users ?
Author: Message:
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Mac Users ?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
He did say he'll attempt to make a Mac version and send the device back if he doesn't succeed. If anyone starts a donation thingie, make sure you aren't guaranteeing anything and make clear what happens to the money when the Mac is returned.

yup, and while you're at it, make sure you send me some extra cash with the Mac. If I have to join the club, I'll need an iPod Touch, some cool Apple ear-plugs and a smart ass pair of jeans ;)
Apple-bottom jeans? :P
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-01-2009 04:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by janlukaz
Well if you get like 500 people to pay $3 each then you could buy a macbook pro to Patchou. Someone make a pool on the subject. I don't have a Mac, but I plan on doing, and I'd be glad to give $3 for MsgPlus! on Mac.

You dont have to have a Mac to set this up.
Just a simple page with a system that you can send whatever you want towards the donation.
BTW by your logic 3*500
$1500
Which would get Patchou a:

iMac 20-inch
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide (could be changed to western spanish, french ;), or jap)

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
He did say he'll attempt to make a Mac version and send the device back if he doesn't succeed. If anyone starts a donation thingie, make sure you aren't guaranteeing anything and make clear what happens to the money when the Mac is returned.
I disagree with sending it back. I think he should keep it. A additional thank you for putting work into the addon

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

yup, and while you're at it, make sure you send me some extra cash with the Mac. If I have to join the club, I'll need an iPod Touch, some cool Apple ear-plugs and a smart ass pair of jeans ;)
Damn Patchou :P

For the record, Patchou's comments above are a joke. He will seriously try to see what he can do on a Mac for Plus!
Another thing, if the donation thing comes thru, Maclovers, Plus! will take some time (I personally think close to a year) to port over to OSX so don't think you will get it instantly.
02-02-2009 07:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
JustJonno

Oki.. registered just to add to this thread and belay a few of the typical apple hater BS that people spout.

Plus, Winamp and uTorrent:
Not yet; more than enough projects exactly the same; umm its been around for ages.

Secondly..
With OSX Snow Leopard the application interaction is greatly improved but on multiple layers within the system based upon the settings of the application itself. E.g: you can pull an itunes song into ANY program by calling the itunes library class within the host program and without iTunes having to be open or running.
So yes, you could do exactly what plus does on windows with the mac provided its running at least leopard OS.

For all of you though that think it would be oh so simple to build a program as complex and established as msgpluslive for the Mac and instantly make it as good as the windows version, then i'm sorry to tell you that you're gonna be disappointed.
Just ask any software provider that wrote for Windows exclusively then branched out to mac, either the software takes too long to write to the current windows version, or you release a very very cut down version for the mac and lose your customers before you start.

If you want MPL for the mac, then you'd be better off starting from scratch all over again and building up like patchou did with the windows version. I can see exactly why patchou has said buy me a mac and i'll try, and why he hasn't gone out already and tried. If you have a winning formula, don't mess with it.

I've been a programmer in windows for years, I moved to macs because of my own reasons and because of the graphical and audio manipulation and i've tried writing simple things like iPhone apps... Its not as easy as it sounds even for someone with 10 years experiance writing C++ code!!

What would be easier would be to find a seasoned apple programmer, get him/her and patchou in a room together and let them figure out what parts of MPL would work and go code them out in a whole new program.

Jonno

p.s: sorry to piss on dreams, but just trying to be realistic from a programmers p.o.v.
p.p.s: Hi everyone!! :) newbie to the board :D
09-15-2010 12:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by JustJonno
Not yet; more than enough projects exactly the same; umm its been around for ages.

actually, utorrent for mac is now at version 1.0 :p
quote:
With OSX Snow Leopard the application interaction is greatly improved but on multiple layers within the system based upon the settings of the application itself. E.g: you can pull an itunes song into ANY program by calling the itunes library class within the host program and without iTunes having to be open or running.
So yes, you could do exactly what plus does on windows with the mac provided its running at least leopard OS.

all of this is irrelevant, because it's always been possible, in every version of osx and probably even os9<. whoever said anything about the api not being there is mistaken, because plus doesn't use the messenger api (well, technically it does a little, but only for convenience, not by necessity.) the majority of plus' functionality is added by loading code into messenger's process to intercept various library calls and such, which is just as easily possible on osx, except for the fact that messenger for mac is a completely different code base and all of the mac's system APIs are completely different from that of windows. so, it's perfectly possible to write a version of plus for messenger for mac, but Patchou would have to start completely from scratch (and i mean REALLY from scratch, because he'd have to learn all of the internals of all the osx system apis, reverse engineer all the internals of messenger for mac, etc. he's a windows developer, not an osx developer.)

quote:
p.p.s: Hi everyone!!

hello :p

This post was edited on 09-15-2010 at 09:11 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-15-2010 09:10 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Mac Users ?
quote:

Secondly..

Incorrect.

OS X (and previous versions) have had a API so programs can interact with the operating system. This of course make it (almost) possible to write (or port) every Windows program to OS X.

The problem is not the OS in itself but the API provided by Microsoft Messenger for Mac. I am not sure of the latest beta version but it has always been VERY weak with few capabilities. This is the reason it is harder (not impossible) to write a addon for Microsoft Messenger for Mac than Windows Live Messenger.

The only two current possible ways to do a addon on for OS X that resembles Plus! is:
1: Get Patchou his Apple PC :P
2: Make a open source project where the goal is to resemble from scratch Plus! This second one also has the possibility ability to be ported to *unix and to different third party clients. But if you start the project right now, keep waiting because something like that is going to take some time.
10-01-2010 02:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: