What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » New Installer for Messenger Plus!

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
New Installer for Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
It's sort of funny, i remember in the old days when plus! first got the (optional) sponsor, there was talk about a "plus! lite". We've got to the time when we'd really need that, but i know no one will even bother :chroppy:
In the future we will have an adware installer where you can optionally install Plus!... time to time..
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
02-14-2013 08:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MELERIX

I've uninstalled completely the whole Messenger Plus from my computer now, included the one for Skype.

I always like free software, but I can't accept that crapware now is required/forced to be installed.

now finally my computer is clean, no more plus service running in background and eating memory everytime, and no more crapware in my computer.

seems this is the end of messenger plus.

PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!
02-16-2013 10:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MELERIX
PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!
on Reddit, March 15th :p
02-16-2013 11:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

quote:
I've uninstalled completely the whole Messenger Plus from my computer now, included the one for Skype.

I always like free software, but I can't accept that crapware now is required/forced to be installed.

now finally my computer is clean, no more plus service running in background and eating memory everytime, and no more crapware in my computer.

seems this is the end of messenger plus.

PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!

FAVOURITE FAVOURITE FAVOURITE
02-16-2013 02:03 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!
on Reddit, March 15th :p
Was gonna post that earlier, but I was too lazy (and in hospital) :p

Spoiler:
[Image: emily1.jpg]
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-16-2013 02:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jessycardy

Oh no... Didn't even have the time to celebrate the future inclusion of custom sounds, that I stumble upon this. Sucks. Sucks big time. Might be the end for me too. I hope they'll change their minds and realize nobody will install Plus! with mandatory adware. There's just no way!
02-17-2013 01:31 AM
traxor

traxor_v2

quote:
Originally posted by jessycardy
Oh no... Didn't even have the time to celebrate the future inclusion of custom sounds, that I stumble upon this. Sucks. Sucks big time. Might be the end for me too. I hope they'll change their minds and realize nobody will install Plus! with mandatory adware. There's just no way!

They will, but it’ll only be unsuspecting people who don’t know any better. These are the people Yuna are targeting.
02-17-2013 10:33 PM
jessycardy

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
quote:
Originally posted by jessycardy

They will, but it’ll only be unsuspecting people who don’t know any better. These are the people Yuna are targeting.

I think unsuspecting people don't pay much attention to the installation process and most of the time end up installing adware and stuff even when it's optional. It really seems to me like this mandatory crap's only purpose is to piss off conscious users and have them stop using the software... :^)
02-18-2013 10:02 PM
TICHO_CAM

IT REALLY SUCKS THAT I HAVE TO INSTALL A ANOYING ADWARE IN ORDER TO USE  MESS PLUS,  I HAVE BEEN  A MESS PLUS USER FOR MORE THAN 6 YEARS  BUT NOW I WONT INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION 

SORRY!
03-11-2013 08:43 PM
Dr Frankenstein

33 / Male / Flag
I've been a user of Messenger Plus! since 2002. Sure, I grew out of the toys like sounds and abuse of formatting and that kind of stuff, but I kept it for the handy shortcuts, floating contacts, POP notifications, skins to make the windows more compact and streamlined, scripts and, most especially, encrypted logging.

I was somewhat wary when adware first made its way into the installer, but since it was optional, I kept on using the extension, carefully unchecking the option to install it.

Now, if installing it without adware is no longer an option, well, installing it is no longer an option for me altogether.

I'm an IT technician. One of my jobs (and the most time consuming and aggravating, too) is to remove annoying (and increasingly sophisticated) adware from my clients' computers. I'm not going to just cave in and put that trash on my computer just to use a piece of software, even if it's software I like and I've been using for 11 years. Nobody likes adware. Nobody is happy to put up with it even if it enables them to install something.

Look at all those free and clean applications: GIMP, Mozilla Firefox, VLC... those are all applications of good quality that were started with little or no funding and managed to keep going without resorting to displaying advertisement directly on the user's computer. If you have to resort to requiring your users to install adware on their computers, then some very bad decisions have been made along the line in preventing, fixing and dealing with the funding problem(s). Even closed source software manage to stay free in other ways.

What is happening now is hurting Yuna Software's credibility like nothing else, not to mention the product's credibility. The optional adware was a pretty shitty move already, creating your own very questionable toolbar only made it worse; forcing it upon the users is undoubtedly the nail in the coffin.

Sure, I could just check the homepage or default search option, then revert it manually after the install... But it doesn't feel right. Lost credibility also means lost trust, plus the disturbing reports of users having, in the past, opted out of the adware and finding it installed on their computers anyway. It may even have happened to me but the memory isn't clear enough to tell is as a fact.

Long story short, Messenger Plus! is too costly to develop and/or the funding methods are inappropriate (and a serious lack of respect towards your users.) Either cut expenses or change your funding strategy.

Until that is fixed (and if it ever happens,) I'm out. (N)
03-14-2013 02:38 AM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: