What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » New Installer for Messenger Plus!

Pages: (8): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] Last »
New Installer for Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
And as I mentioned above,
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
FYI, the ad-ware components do not work at all under Windows XP, they do not get installed regardless of what checkboxes are selected.
I ran the installer a bunch of times through a VM, and not once was there any trace of toolbars or any other adware related tools anywhere. I used a system diff tool (WhatChanged) to do an inspection and found zero extras being added.
Not correct.
There are plenty of traces.
The smartbar for example IS installed, using Windows XP SP3.
However, it does not seem to work on MSIE 8 on this test machine, but stuff gets clearly installed nontheless.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-24-2013 11:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Not correct.
There are plenty of traces.
The smartbar for example IS installed, using Windows XP SP3.
However, it does not seem to work on MSIE 8 on this test machine, but stuff gets clearly installed nontheless.
Have a look for yourself if you like:
http://www.meetcweb.com/?dir=whatchanged/
I have XP Pro SP3, IE 8 and Chrome 25.0.1364.172 m as downloaded on the day I did the tests back in march.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-25-2013 01:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well maybe Whatchanged isn't working correctly (personally, I never trusted such apps anyways and always found that they always miss many things).

Plus, I see in that file list that you have something like Microsoft Antimalware installed and running. I don't know exactly how it is related or if it is an influence, but it might be that this has blocked the actual installation of the Smartbar(?). Either way, it clearly tells me that your test install wasn't a clean uninfluenced install, otherwise those specific file changes wouldn't be there to begin with.

I also don't see any temporary files created by the installer in that file list (and there should be plenty). This is one of those things that such tools like Whatchanged never seem to be able to catch. Another thing they often tend to miss are changed files (especially byte by byte changes without changing the filesize). And thus why I almost never use them; you miss quite a lot.

Anyways, on my test install, using real-time monitoring software (not snapshots), I can clearly see several processes and services being started up by the installer (besides the normal expected Plus!-installation stuff that is). Processes which in turn install the Smartbar, change Windows settings, etc. And the Smartbar is definitely installed afterwards (+-20MB on files and data for the Smartbar alone). I don't have Chrome installed though, so it is not my default browser, maybe that is the reason(?).

Either way, stating that the ad-ware components never get installed in XP, is therefor not quite correct.

EDIT: Another big downside of some tools like Whatchanged is that they sometimes can only track 1 process at a time, or only processes started in a very specific way. But the Smartbar installation (and other crap) is done by secondary processes. I don't know if Whatchanged is indeed such a limited tool (although I doubt it, but it is possible), but this might explain why there is no single trace of those additional things in your logs.

This post was edited on 04-25-2013 at 02:02 PM by CookieRevised.
04-25-2013 01:37 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
It does a before and after scan, nothing during or realtime
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-25-2013 03:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
olivex

云

So now we have an ad-free version anyway?
04-27-2013 11:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by olivex
yes...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

http://goo.gl/O0nXL
Thanks.

------------

Note to others: be carefull, this installer does not have a specific "accept & install" button!

As soon as you click the "Next" button, Plus! will be installed without any second confirmation. :-/
This because the second screen, with the "accept & install" button, is simply skipped.

(you can't expect them to do everything right... even something as simple as renaming a button, right?)
04-27-2013 01:46 PM
olivex

云

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by olivex
yes...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

http://goo.gl/O0nXL
Thanks.

------------

Note to others: be carefull, this installer does not have a specific "accept & install" button!

As soon as you click the "Next" button, Plus! will be installed without any second confirmation. :-/
This because the second screen, with the "accept & install" button, is simply skipped.

(you can't expect them to do everything right... even something as simple as renaming a button, right?)

Yes I noticed the installation step jumps from 1 to 3 directly :D
04-28-2013 09:38 AM
olivex

云

So how about build 125? Still ad hijacked?
05-23-2013 08:16 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
All good things must come to an end.

I like Google Hangouts

No ad-ware on my Samsung smartphone using Hangouts, What'sApp, Viber and IM+ Pro!

PS.: The following is somewhat of a rant:
Aside from having lost my interest in Messenger Plus! a long time ago, I'm also losing my interest in Skype due to it being taken over by Microsoft, and since then poorly (or not at all) updated. Even the "Messenger" integration in Skype is a disaster.

It looks to me that all they've done is set the Messenger servers to only accept log in from official Skype client, which in turn simply logs in both Messenger and Skype once your accounts are "linked."
On top of that, the "linking" works poorly. Logging in with Microsoft account will load both Messenger and Skype contacts, logging in with Skype account will only load Skype contacts. 

This makes it significantly harder for Mobile messenger apps to support Messenger in Skype. IM+ Pro was one of the first third party apps with support for logging in with your Microsoft account, however they do not have access to load your Messenger contacts regardless.

This post was edited on 06-16-2013 at 12:39 PM by Arcticwolfx.
06-16-2013 12:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (8): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: