What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop keyboard not working

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Laptop keyboard not working
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop keyboard not working
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
There is no function lock key on the keyboard.
I would be extremely surprised if it does not have one! It is usually located on the left bottom side, indicated with "Fn".

quote:
The up and down keys work on the boot, its just the keys I mentioned that don't work at any time.
That is something else than you told before. This new fact makes the whole discussion above mute.

Can you be very specific in what keys work, what keys are replaced by other keys, and what keys do not work at all? Also describe exactly when they don't work for each key (eg: do they work on the POST screen where you need to enter F1 or the likes to get into the BIOS, or arrow keys to select a menu item -> thus all this happens _before_ Windows starts up!)

Also can you give the exact and complete model and brand number of the laptop?

------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by sandy433
I have a sony laptop and when i type keys "uiop" it displays as 7890 and when i press 0 it showing /, but  all the other keys are working fine. Could anyone please help me out with this problem?
turn off NumLock.

This button is usually located in the top right corner. To activate/deactivate NumLock you sometimes need to press the NumLock key in combination with a 'Fn' key (usually located bottom left corner). See your laptop manual for exact location.

You can also set the initial NumLock state off when you boot up Windows by setting the following registry key to 0: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

This post was edited on 09-11-2011 at 03:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-02-2011 07:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
greenrhino5

RE: RE: Laptop keyboard not working
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I also noticed that even on the Vista boot options the keys were not working.
Hardware problem.   Take it to be fixed (hopefully under warranty).  Use an external (USB) keyboard if she needs to get off any personal information first.

There is a little insignificant button between the mousepad and space bar. This is an off/on switch for the keyboard!
09-11-2011 12:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ptcg

This issue is normally a 'NumLock ON' issue. When your laptop keyboard is in NumLock ON mode, it responds as though the Fn Key is depressed and so all of the keyboard responses for the Fn combinations are default... i.e. the number pad that coincides with the right side of the alpa keys, all of the Function keys at the top and any others with Fn Combos.

The most common key combination to toggle the NumLock Function is the two key combo Fn-Scroll (the scroll key is normally near the upper right corner of most laptop keyboards). If this combo doesn't do it, search for the Numlock toggle for your laptop brand.

Also, check in BIOS to make sure that NumLock On is not the default setting for your system startup... if it is, reset it. You will still be able to turn it on when (and if) you want to use it, but you will need to use the toggle key combo to do so after you system is up and running. This BIOS setting will not disable or change the behavior of your Fn key.
03-20-2012 04:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
PS: Most of what you've said has already been said in this old thread though...

quote:
Originally posted by ptcg
This issue is normally a 'NumLock ON' issue. When your laptop keyboard is in NumLock ON mode, it responds as though the Fn Key is depressed and so all of the keyboard responses for the Fn combinations are default...
I have never seen a setup where, if NumLock is on, all the keys which have a secondary/tertiary function in combination with the 'Fn' key wont function anymore in combination with the 'Fn' key. The Numlock state should not interfear with the 'Fn' function key; it wouldn't make much sense. But maybe something crazy like that exists, dunno... but I highly doubt it...

quote:
Originally posted by ptcg
The most common key combination to toggle the NumLock Function is the two key combo Fn-Scroll
Other than that I had already suggested that a year ago in this thread, I would hardly call it "most common".

On the contrary, I dare to claim that the most common setup is that the NumLock is the primary function of that key, not the secondary or tertiary function (in combination with the 'Fn' key).

This post was edited on 03-20-2012 at 07:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-20-2012 06:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: