What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » laser diode circuit

laser diode circuit
Author: Message:
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
O.P. laser diode circuit
well i ripped apart an old dvd drive and have obtained the diode, so i thought i'll just retro-fit it to my working laser pointer, not the circuit board in the once working laser doesn't work:(
i live in Australia, so there's no radio shacks or anything, a dick smith is the closest i've got, anyone know how how i build/get a replacement circuit board for my laser diodes?

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-22-2008 11:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: laser diode circuit
NEVER EVER tamper with laser diodes if you do not have the proper knowledge!!!!!

This isn't just a warning for the sake of warning or waiving the finger. Working with laser diodes, ESPECIALLY those from DVD-writers, can be a serious health risk. It wouldn't be the first time that you accidently point it to your eyes or even more common, by suddenly reflecting it to some object in the room...

Laser diodes from DVD-writers are very powerfull, and you can burn stuff with it, including your eyes.

ALWAYS wear SPECIAL laser protecting glasses when dealing with them. Note: a powerfull sunglass doesn't protect you at all, nor does welding glasses; you need special laser protection glasses.

------------

The reason why it doesn't work is very simple, each laser diode requires a specific driver. If you don't have the proper driver for that specific laser diode, it either wont work, or you either will burn out the diode in no-time....

There is a lot of info on the net about this, inlcluding how to build your own drivers. Though, you do need some knowledge to do it properly. I wouldn't advise tampering with lasers if you do not have some electronica knowledge or if you're just a starting electronica hobbiest, even if it sounds "cool".

Be warned of the above! Google is your friend ;)

This post was edited on 03-22-2008 at 04:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-22-2008 03:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: