What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iPad Reactions

Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
iPad Reactions
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. iPad Reactions
Now we know it's an iPad, what's your opinion on it?

Please don't start a Mac vs PC war...

I say, "No thank you." It's simply too expensive to be locked into an App Store, I'd expect to be able to do more with it.

If it was stripped MacBook, sure, I'd like it, but it's really just a [disproportionately] blown up iPhone, minus a camera that even the Nano has. My friends play Warcraft on their netbooks, and I don't think any would want to play some mini-game-like game for a similar price.

Of course, it's a tablet, but the fact that I'm tied to the App Store really doesn't make it very...appealing.

P.S.: iPad sounds like a children's toy; I prefer iSlate.

This post was edited on 01-27-2010 at 11:01 PM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6525 days, 11 hours, 32 minutes, 40 seconds ago.

01-27-2010 11:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: iPad Reactions
Most epic neowin comment ever!

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-ipad-announced#comment-981117
oh dear, what a tragic name. It should only come in pink, and have a bold logo across the top "iPad - for all your feminine hygiene needs"

Back on topic, not for me; it doesn't appeal to me or would have very much use in my life...
01-27-2010 11:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
I'll just copy/paste my opinions from the shoutbox :p

<andrey> srsly wtf. the iPad doesn't seem to do multitasking [Image: dodgy.gif] and i thought they introduced this thing to compete with netbooks? ¬¬
<andrey> so atm the iPad seems to be nothing more than an iPhone for people with very large hands [Image: hands.gif]

Looks like the iPad has a 1Ghz processor, either 16GB, 32GB or 64GB HDD and will cost up to $700.
To compare, my netbook has a 1.6GHz processor, 160GB HDD and a price tag of $400, has Windows and Linux installed and can do multitasking and Flash.

So in my opinion, this iPad will at best be a serious competitor to the Amazon Kindle, and at worst (and most likely imo) fail hard as an overhyped oversized iPod Touch.

Oh, and since you brought up the name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2drIylnDw :p

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I prefer iSlate.
tbh I think iSlate sounds even more ridiculous :p

This post was edited on 01-27-2010 at 11:27 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
01-27-2010 11:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
inames are old...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-27-2010 11:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
As far as the negative point :

no multi-tasking
no camera
no flash
no phone capabilities
extra $ for case and keyboard and camera kit

Good points :
3G prices : a lot of people are now looking to have the web EVERYWHERE. 3G is a nice alternative, but is usually expensive. Apple has no limit for 30$, that'll work, especially that it doesn't have a contract!

Final decision :
Apple's way too late in the game.
01-27-2010 11:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Frankly, I figure it's just a big iPod with 3G and that's kind of a big disappointment. They could have done so much more with it.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
01-28-2010 12:29 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Backgrounder exists for jailbroken ipods, so I assume something similar will be created (if backgrounder won't work), for multitasking on iPad.
01-28-2010 12:40 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by albert
no multi-tasking
no camera
no flash
no phone capabilities
extra $ for case and keyboard and camera kit
Agreed. Well, except for the lack of phone capability, that's a pro, you would look like a giant douche making a phone call from that.

Also, it's apple so locked in every way: No freedom of applications, no upgradable storage, no standard USB connector, no mounting as USB mass storage, and the biggest one: no multitasking.

Also it's supposed to fill the gap between phone and PC, which is currently the netbook. Price isn't anywhere close to a netbook. Too expensive.

EDIT:
Also: Giant device, but they are using Micro GSM SIM cards? Why? It's not like they needed to because of lack of space, and this micro SIM form factor isn't common anywhere AFAIK.

Although from the picture it looks like you could just cut your existing SIM to size (Micro SIM is the red area only):
[Image: %27SIM-Mini-UICC%27-1_03138_01.jpg]

This post was edited on 01-28-2010 at 12:56 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-28-2010 12:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Also it's supposed to fill the gap between phone and PC, which is currently the netbook. Price isn't anywhere close to a netbook. Too expensive.
Agreed, my $270 HP netbook is amazing :p (dual booting between Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix)

This post was edited on 01-28-2010 at 12:50 AM by prashker.
01-28-2010 12:50 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
It's disproportional, but gladly the back isn't that aluminum that iPods touch have, they risk WAY too much.

It doesn't multitask. HORRIBLE. It has a 1Ghz processor and great battery but no multitasking. Why in the world? Specially with a screen that big.

The "2x" mode for apps is weird. Hope at least the majority of them are adapted to the new screen size.

The 3G plans seem to be nice, hope other countries get it (and that Brazil is included. But guess it won't).

The name is.......... weird. iSlate would be even more awkward (and sounds like "is late"). And, come on, Apple should get over the iNames for a while.

The screen is nice, but the borders are way too thick. Ok, it's big and some space is needed so that we don't touch the screen by mistake, but the space is still too big.

Liked the "dock-keyboard" thing, but at that price it should come included. I can easily Apple selling it for over $100.

Nice processor, hope it also comes to new iPhones/iPods touch.

We got it Apple, you like to control things. But why in the world can't Safari (natively) download things?

Also, got no camera. As disappointing as when we expected the iPod touch to have one. No USB Mass Storage (forgot the name of that, remembered with Menthix's post) , same problem the iPhones/iPods touch have. But why in the world? The iPod nano/shuffle have flash memmory as well and can, iPod classic has even more space and also mounts as one.

Overall: nice but over-rated. After all, it would be easier to suck cane and whistle at the same time than Apple listening to everything we ask.

This post was edited on 01-28-2010 at 12:59 AM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
01-28-2010 12:54 AM
Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: