What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Which is better?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Which is better?
Author: Message:
BSTF
Banned

29 / – / Flag
O.P. Which is better?
So I'm going to buy myself a new laptop this month.. But I'm considering buying an iPad instead.. What should I get? and why?
09-03-2011 01:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kao
Veteran Member

boring

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Which is better?
Can't you make decisions on your own? Depends what you need/want it for :dodgy:
09-03-2011 10:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
BSTF
Banned

29 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Which is better?
I can I just thought I'd get an expert opinion?...
Anw I need it for daily use.. to use it as a laptop.. Except its graphics are much much better and its processing system is great.. So I thought I'd ask you guys.
09-04-2011 10:56 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
How important is flash to you? If you want something portable and small yet a netbook.

I have both a netbook and iPad. Got the iPad for busiess use.

This post was edited on 09-04-2011 at 12:16 PM by matty.
09-04-2011 12:15 PM
BSTF
Banned

29 / – / Flag
Well video games aren't that important to me honestly. But I wanna know if it's good and practical. Such as MSN and that kind of stuff...
09-04-2011 09:23 PM
Adeptus

It's hard to give any "expert opinion" here, because we don't know what uses you need it for or what kind of computer you already have, and we are talking about very different devices.

A laptop or a netbook will likely come with Windows (or you will be able to install Windows).  It will be able to run all Windows software subject to hardware limitations.  Games won't typically run on a netbook, but many will on a more powerful full size laptop.  The storage capacity (hard drive) can usually be upgraded (presently the largest laptop hard drives are 1TB).

iPad runs iOS and only the software from the Apple App Store.  It works fine for the common uses -- web browsing, IM (yes, Messenger is available), email, remote desktop and so forth.  If you need anything more specific, you would be wise to check the App Store before you buy.  Since you are posting here, you probably use Plus! -- that, for example, won't be available on the iPad. 

There is no real Microsoft Office for the iPad.  There are alternatives that can open Office documents, but a heavy Office user might still find them unsatisfactory.

Another issue to note is limited connections.  There's no USB on the iPad, so you will need to figure out how to handle your external hard drives and printers if you have/need any.  There's no wired networking.  If you ever find yourself in a situation where only a wired connection is available (e.g. older hotels), you might have a problem.  There are solutions to these limitations -- wifi routers with built-in print and file servers,  portable routers might work in the hotel example, or you could use mobile data when available and reasonably priced.  It's just things you should consider in advance.

The rest is what format you like better.  The pads are supposed to squeeze netbooks out of the market, but we have heard such claims before and they don't always come true.  The pad format is arguably better for reading documents and ebooks, also easier to use in tight spaces, like onboard an airplane.

This post was edited on 09-04-2011 at 11:10 PM by Adeptus.
09-04-2011 11:08 PM
BSTF
Banned

29 / – / Flag
Well that was a lot of help, I think I'm gonna go for laptops...
speaking of which, I've always used window, can you tell me what the difference between Windows and Mac is?
09-05-2011 02:09 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by BSTF
Well that was a lot of help, I think I'm gonna go for laptops...
speaking of which, I've always used window, can you tell me what the difference between Windows and Mac is?
:google:
09-05-2011 04:44 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well that was a lot of help, I think I'm gonna go for laptops..

I really cant tell whether this is sarcasm or not. I hope not.

quote:

In this instance, its hard to compare a mobile OS to a windows OS.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
09-06-2011 01:31 PM
jobybruk

It totally depends on you and your use.. But if I have to buy then I will buy a laptop insteed of whatever.. because the graphical issues and the speed of the processor is much much better.
03-15-2012 10:45 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: