What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How to backup a NAS?

How to backup a NAS?
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  How to backup a NAS?
Hi, I'm starting to research as to how to setup a home NAS. From what I've read most NAS that are sold can be accessed via ethernet, wireless or USB2, all of which are too slow to backup say an 8Tb NAS. So what's the fastest and most inexpensive way to back it up? Thanks.
11-04-2011 11:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: How to backup a NAS?
RAID.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
11-05-2011 08:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
If you set your NAS with RAID 1/5/6 and have some unused spare disks at hand, then you shouldn't have to worry about backing things up since when one disk fails (two with RAID 6) you can replace it with the spare disk without losing your data.
11-05-2011 09:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
If you set your NAS with RAID 1/5/6 and have some unused spare disks at hand, then you shouldn't have to worry about backing things up since when one disk fails (two with RAID 6) you can replace it with the spare disk without losing your data.
True, but what if there is a fire or a flood, killing all the disks?

Aka, what would be the best and fastest way to completely backup your NAS on an external storage?

This post was edited on 11-05-2011 at 10:49 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2011 09:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
True, but what if their is a fire or a flood, killing all the disks?
You're saying that as if he's storing his backup at his friend's :P

This post was edited on 11-05-2011 at 10:47 AM by Mnjul.
11-05-2011 10:47 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: How to backup a NAS?
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Strictly speaking no RAID configuration, no matter how safe, can be considered a backup. What if 2 drives fail in a RAID 5 config? Or like that many other cases.
When I mentioned "Backup" , I meant an identical bit by bit copy of your entire NAS to an external location, sort of like when you clone a hard disk to another physical drive.
11-05-2011 08:23 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Do you really need a bit by bit clone? Why not some kind of intelligent backup? I backup my NAS to a server, and it just checks for changed files and uploads only those each day, and over a 3 mbit line, no need for huge speeds.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-05-2011 11:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: How to backup a NAS?
Menthix, I guess that the first time you need a total backup, and then you can do incremental backups as you say. By the way, what is your NAS and server hardware? and what backup software do you use? Just to have some feedback, thanks

This post was edited on 11-06-2011 at 05:45 AM by alegator.
11-06-2011 05:45 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I have a Synology, DS409+ I believe. They make pretty nice devices. The backup is done through a regular pc with SyncBackSE. The server happens to be a Windows box too, but but can be any FTP/SFTP.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-06-2011 09:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

There are lots of ways to do this. 

I have to agree that RAID alone isn't the most safe solution; RAID + backup is better.  I think there are a some things you need to decide, the main one being whether you need to back up everything you have.  With a NAS we are talking several terabytes and chances are all of it isn't irreplaceable.  For example, downloaded movies can likely be downloaded again.  While losing your collection would suck bigtime, this is stuff that can be replaced at the cost of some time and perhaps money, while your own photos can not be replaced if they are lost.  Think about that and see if you can segment out what you actually need to back up.

If you decide that is all or a significant volume of data, one of the most practical options would be a NAS box that has an eSATA port and some kind of incremental backup function in its firmware/OS, coupled with an eSATA cradle similar to this and a few large capacity bare drives. 

That will get you the lowest cost per megabyte and the full hard drive performance you need to back up lots of data.  Bare drives should be handled with some care (reuse the antistatic bags when storing them), but are durable enough.  We keep decades of data archived on bare drives at work.

As a side note, if you can't find a good fit for your needs in a store-bought NAS, remember it's just a tiny computer with a capacity for some number of hard drives.  There are various hardware choices out there to build your own and you can have it running a general purpose operating system (Windows, Linux), or any of the several NAS OSes out there that aim for the appliance-like feel of the store-bought devices.  I built a Windows Server machine using the HP MicroServer for myself, but there are many more choices out there.

This post was edited on 11-09-2011 at 03:26 AM by Adeptus.
11-09-2011 03:26 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: