What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Support chat

Support chat
Author: Message:
mezzanine

– / – / Flag
RE: Support chat
As you have already stated, volunteer support for free software can often be problematic, but given the people and resources we have, I think it's safe to say #msgplus has served a decent number of people. According to my statistics, in the past 3 years, out of circa 10000 users, more than 6000 have received help, out of which more than 3500 from me.
I've tried to make various improvements to the support system, some of which were successful. I set up a help database on Effexor (my IRC bot) with one-line solutions to common issues and frequent answers, links to relevant forum stickies and tutorials. This system alone has offered support to more than 70% of requests. Relevant thread: Attention all helpers: help build a knowledge base!. During busy times (new WLM or Plus! releases, etc.), the bot notices each and every users who joins with a relevant message.

It's quite ironic that this is coming from you, given you have rarely took the time to actually help users in #msgplus, and it expresses a great deal of disrespect towards the few individuals who dedicated their free time and effort to offering support.
I do agree that we don't have enough manpower for all users, or to cover all timezones, but we do our best. If you want to help, feel free to advertise this and try to convince more forum regulars to offer a bit of their free time to #msgplus.
04-28-2009 12:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Support chat - by Vilkku on 04-28-2009 at 12:17 PM
RE: Support chat - by NanaFreak on 04-28-2009 at 12:36 PM
RE: Support chat - by prashker on 04-28-2009 at 12:36 PM
RE: Support chat - by vaccination on 04-28-2009 at 12:41 PM
RE: Support chat - by mezzanine on 04-28-2009 at 12:42 PM
RE: RE: Support chat - by Vilkku on 04-29-2009 at 10:03 AM
RE: Support chat - by MeEtc on 04-28-2009 at 01:02 PM
RE: Support chat - by ixesha on 04-29-2009 at 10:20 AM