What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users

Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users
Microsoft has recently required users of the older 8.5 version of Windows Live Messenger to upgrade to the current version of Windows Live Messenger 2009, sometimes referred to as version 9 or 14. Messenger Plus! Live is fully compatible with this version.

Why should you upgrade? The latest version of Windows Live Messenger contains many bug and security fixes. It is more stable, and less likely to experience bugs and issues from previous versions. More information from MessengerSays...

There have been a few users who have reported that attempts to bypass the forced upgrade prevent Messenger Plus! Live from loading. The correct way to fix this issue is to upgrade to the latest versions of Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live.

Keep in mind that most skins, which worked with Windows Live Messenger 8.x, do NOT work on the new version. However, many skins have been updated to work with the new version. Check to see if your favourite has been updated, or find a new favourite! http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/

Most scripts WILL work with the update, with a few exceptions. There may already be an update for your script too! http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/

If Messenger Plus! Live does not show when you upgrade, try re-downloading and re-installing Plus! first. If this doesn't work, read this thread and make sure you don't have any of the programs listed: Messenger Plus! Live Disappears after restart

Common problems and questions

I am still running Windows Live Messenger 8.1 or 8.5, and Messenger Plus! Live does not show
There are a few ways to trick Windows Live into still being able to run. However Plus! is also tricked by this, and cannot load properly. Running an old version of Messenger in this way can actually cause you and your PC more harm than good. This problem can be fixed by updating to the latest versions of each.

I get an error saying "Windows Live Communication Platform has encountered an Error" and Messenger will not run
Windows Live Support has found a fix for this issue and posted it on their blog: http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!15941.entry

I don't like how the new version looks. How can I change it?
There are a few ways that the interface has changed. First is the addition of scenes. When a conversation window is open with a contact, their scene and background colour will automatically be applied. This can be changed by going to Tools > Options and select "Use Default Scene" from any conversation window.
Second, using a Messenger Plus! skin can change the interface completely. No, there is no skin that looks like 8.1/8.5, but there are many more in the skins database

This post was edited on 11-08-2009 at 04:05 AM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
11-07-2009 12:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users - by MeEtc on 11-07-2009 at 12:35 AM
RE: Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users - by djdannyp on 11-07-2009 at 11:50 PM
RE: Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users - by Thunder708 on 12-17-2009 at 12:23 AM
RE: Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users - by hockeyrick on 12-25-2009 at 07:34 AM
RE: Forced upgrade for Messenger version 8.5 users - by e.vasquez18@hotmai on 02-02-2010 at 06:27 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: