What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop Rechargeable Battery

Laptop Rechargeable Battery
Author: Message:
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
NiMH batteries don't have the memory effect, but they are good for a number of charge cycles.  Each charge cycle results in some loss of capacity.  The loss is the same for a partial charge cycle as it would be for a full one.  Sticking to full cycles would usually result in fewer charge cycles during the same time period, so that is still a valid general recommendation.

Along the same lines, taking the battery out when using the laptop on AC power also remains a valid general recommendation, because all rechargeable batteries "bleed" some charge over the time.  You will get occasional short charge cycles even having the laptop always plugged in when you use it, which over time will reduce the battery's capacity.

In practice, however, none of this is worth the trouble.  I am certainly not going to bother taking the battery out, let alone keep it in a fridge.  That defeats the point of having a laptop, which is being able to conveniently pick it up and take it with you as needed.  The battery is a consumable and yes, at some point you will have to replace it just like at some point you have to replace tires on a ca

Thanks, very useful! People keep on asking me this, and as everyone else, I always saw way too many opinions, which seemed to go against my experience. this makes sens! :)
quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
quote:
Originally posted by Lifehacker
Today's laptops use Lithium batteries instead of nickel, but there's a lot of incorrect information out there about how to charge or drain your batteries, so let's set the record straight: Nickel batteries required being fully drained before a recharge to optimize your battery life, but Lithium batteries are the opposite—you do not need to fully discharge it before recharging, and in fact, if you fully deplete a lithium battery and don't recharge for a while, it can become incapable of holding a charge.

You'll also want to make sure that your battery is not always fully charged—Wikipedia points out that if your lithium battery is fully charged all the time, you will lose up to 20% of your capacity every year, no matter what you do. Make sure to discharge the battery sometimes, and if you spend most of your time plugged in at a desk, you would be better off running the battery down to half, and then simply removing the battery and storing it in a cool place. You can use Hibernate mode to save exactly what you were doing while still shutting down the laptop completely.

http://lifehacker.com/5566020/how-to-maximize-the...our-windows-laptop

I'll give this a read as well. :)
07-14-2010 09:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by Moh on 07-13-2010 at 01:53 AM
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by djdannyp on 07-13-2010 at 06:06 AM
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by Menthix on 07-13-2010 at 09:14 AM
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by Vilkku on 07-13-2010 at 11:51 AM
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by Chrissy on 07-13-2010 at 12:52 PM
RE: Laptop Rechargeable Battery - by Adeptus on 07-13-2010 at 03:38 PM