What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! Bug Reports » VERY VERY DISTUBTING SETUP!!

VERY VERY DISTUBTING SETUP!!
Author: Message:
wilsonjj

O.P. Undecided  VERY VERY DISTUBTING SETUP!!
:@:@:@

first of all, ok..since I HAD to choose an option either install the extension for my chrome OR set Messenger Plus as homepage/new tab or blah blah forgot the last option in order to install the program. and yes, I did close my chrome before the setup were started

OK..so I choose option 2, set it as homepage, I can change it back to what I want afterwards anyway (which I though)

BUT NO! it set my chromes homepage, new tab *AND!* removed all my cookies, personal preferences, extensions, histories, basically EVERY personal chrome settings apart from my bookmark(which I was glad it DIDN'T do), no my chromes userprofile were overwritten!, it didn't create a new userprofile when the install is done

you guys need to remove this option which FORCING people to install what they DON'T want to install, otherwise this is just going backwards! :@:@

not happy

This post was edited on 03-25-2013 at 04:45 AM by wilsonjj.
02-28-2013 02:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: VERY VERY DISTUBTING SETUP!!
Care to address this Nathalie? The installer shouldn't just annihilate a users browser profile for the mandatory offers...
02-28-2013 02:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
SonicSam, you are right - the installer should not affect a profile, indeed and ours was NOT designed to do that. In this particular case, it seems that the profile was affected due to an incompatibility issue of the specific version of Chrome that the user was using.  It's best practice to close the browser before continuing the installation process. 
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

03-03-2013 01:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is also best practice that if you state that you're going to change the user's homepage, THAT YOU ONLY DO THAT AND NOTHING MORE!

"incompatibility issue"? The sole fact that there is an incompatibility issue should already raise serious questions as to what the installer is actually doing!

The user's homepage is either a simple registry setting or either a simple setting in a file, depending on the browser. How can you mess that up, and together with it the complete user's profile????
The only reason I can think of is that you are NOT doing what the setup is telling the user, and you are actually FORCING all kinds of other crap (like a service to make sure the user can't change things back manualy) on the user's PC.

--------------

EDIT: PS: not to mention it is also best practice for an installer to warn the user when a program is open which should be closed! But I'm not hoping anymore that Yuna is even able to put something so basic into an installer which is currently a trapdoor and full of BAD practices to begin with.

This post was edited on 03-05-2013 at 12:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-04-2013 02:38 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Profile corruption can happen with beta versions or unofficial versions of browsers, and that appears to be what happened here, in an isolated case.   
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

03-04-2013 09:09 AM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
Where in the post does the original poster say they are using a beta or unofficial browser version or are you just guessing that?

Regardless of what version of a browser used, if it's best practise to close the browser before installation the user should be prompted to do so by the installer.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-04-2013 09:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NovaStar

54 / – / Flag
Using windows 8 64 bit, the IE simply stopped responding altogether and will not work - giving the "not responding" msg.:@
Disabling the addons was no good since it didn't load anymore in the first place.
Had to open incognito mode and disable the addons from there.
So here's what I finally did...

1. Closed the browser first.
2. Used "hijackthis" to remove both, the specific BHO and add-in.
3. Run "youruninstaller" program set on extreme - for complete removal of ALL they associated keys (and files) associated with the browsers integration.
4. Finished with a little touch of tuneup utilities, just for cleaning the registry.

That's it.
IE works again (have not rebooted yet) and the plus works like a charm and works well with both audio & video recordings.
Took 5 minutes of my time, but will be the regular procedure for me now, esp. when every toolbar added, makes an impact on which ever browser being used too.

All fine now. :D

Cheers :o).
07-05-2013 06:40 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: