What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Brazilian Translation

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Brazilian Translation
Author: Message:
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Brazilian Translation
quote:
Originally posted by edukct
Dear Chrono

As thing are now you may assume that Brazilian Portuguese is the OFFICIAL language, not counting in number of people but in number of computers using mswindows.
Brazilian (CODE PAGE 1046) is the second language on Mr. Gates sales list, just for your knowledge, even more than german, french and all these other languages. The whole europe fits inside brasil, and my city, Sao Paulo, has now some 20 Milion inhabitants, so third place in world, after Tokio and Mexico city.
So don bullshit with this portuguese dialect on us
Best
Edu

Ermm if u wanted to blame someone u should have put "dear sock" :P

I was defendingur language ^_^U

Anyway, i somehow think it should be addedd cause of the reason that this dodgy guy gave us.. there are lots of people in brazil :grin:

I have been in brazil btw :spam:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-08-2003 10:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It seems that there will be always a discussion in this kind of situations.... Where will the line be drawn?
I mean there are other languages which are 'similar' (mind the quotes), and yet, not in Plus! cause they are similar. This doens't mean they are dialects... Afcourse dialects shouldn't get into Plus!... Then if you say, ok, what about official languages? Well, again if you look into the list of official languages you find that there are quite similar ones...

IMHO, I think that there should be a CLEAR statement so that there is no discussion anymore. Easiest thing to do is allowing every language in the 'official' list used by many MS-programs. But I think that would be a huge load on the installation filesize...
Anyway there should be a clear criteria (also, amount of people that speak the language is NOT valid criteria!)
Maybe if Patchou will release a list on what language may be added in the future (and so, which may not). And that list would be very detailed (like Portuguese/Portugal, Portuguese/Brazil. Dutch/Netherlands, Dutch/Belgium, French/Canadian, French/France, English/UK, English/USA, ...)

Anyway, I'm not saying that Portugal Portuguese and Brazil Portuguese is the same, nor that it is totaly different. But as one of the translators of the latest plus! I say that if the language is similar and has common roots/dictionnaries/etc... It is possible to make a translation which will be good for both countries. (although you'll always have die-hard complaining-people)

Hmmm. Dictionnaries... maybe if a language has his own official dictionnary it must be considered official? (ie: Dutch/Netherlands, Dutch/Belgium has common dicionnaries, so there will be 1 language: Dutch // same with English....)

Well... just some thoughts.....

This post was edited on 11-08-2003 at 10:42 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-08-2003 10:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
I somehow agree with cookie eater CookieRevised

But its quiet difficult to create a list like that.. how would patchou know which languages to put or not ? It will be always in discussion.. :undecided:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-08-2003 11:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
To stir up some things:

Portuguese/Brazil language is classified as a dialect in the ISO-standard though: http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=POR

(this is not my opinion, it is just something I found when surfing about all this)

This post was edited on 11-09-2003 at 01:16 AM by CookieRevised.
11-09-2003 12:28 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Hmmm. Dictionnaries... maybe if a language has his own official dictionnary it must be considered official? (ie: Dutch/Netherlands, Dutch/Belgium has common dicionnaries, so there will be 1 language: Dutch // same with English....)
nice idea... perhaps....
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I somehow agree with cookie eater CookieRevised
me too.
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
how would patchou know which languages to put or not ?
I think that people who speaks those languages should have a discussion and all they have to agree if include it or not. Then they notify the decission to Patchou. I know that that's quite difficul because everyone would like to put his own language, but it people are sensible and responsible that could agree at some point.
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-09-2003 03:49 PM
janio

Sad  RE: Brazilian Translation
I just updated my Messenger Plus to 2.51.68 version. And I was just unable to switch my translation back to Brazilian Portuguese.

I had, then, to overwrite the Portuguese file with the Brazilian langauage contents, in order to have my language back. Poorly back, I must say, because several things that worked in my previous version now are not correct anymore... :(

I mean: even the Resources folder having the correct .ini file, my language is not showed in the choice list...

-----------
Recém atualize meu Plus para a versão 2.51.68. E daí em diante não pude mais voltar a usar o programa em Português do Brasil.

Sabe o que eu tive de fazer pra remender (mal e porcamente) isso? Tive de sobrescrever o arquivo de idioma Português (de Portugal) com o arquivo correto, que mesmo estando no diretório Resources não é reconhecido pelo programa, não aparecendo na lista de seleção.

Alguma sugestão?

11-09-2003 06:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
errrr.... I'm not quite following what happend. But the fact is that with the new Plus! version, there is also a totaly new translationfile with different topics and keys (check the default english one). Also, because of this, the CompatibilityLevel key must be set to 2062 in order to let your translation show up in the new Plus!....

I suggest you use Choli's Translator Application to compare your languagefile with the original english one...
Take a look at the new/changed topis and keys...

This post was edited on 11-09-2003 at 07:14 PM by CookieRevised.
11-09-2003 07:06 PM
lipebr

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To stir up some things:

Portuguese/Brazil language is classified as a dialect in the ISO-standard though: http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=POR

(this is not my opinion, it is just something I found when surfing about all this)

So, if Messenger Plus! can't have both brazilian and portugal portuguese because they're considered dialects, then it should be packed with brazilian portuguese only, which has more speakers.

For those of you who can't understand this discussion, please check this website:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Brazilia...uropean-Portuguese

Best regards,
F.
11-17-2003 04:29 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Nice, decent site...

The first paragraph speaks for itself I think :p
another quote:
"For the most part, the actual differences do not exceed those of American and European English, although this is hard to verify."
11-17-2003 10:07 AM
edukct

Well, this discution may continue forever, but a simple one to solve this is windows codepage.
For Portuguese-Brazil (PTB) its 0416
For Portuguese_Port  (PTG) its 0816 so a subset of brazilian cp
same we note for
chinese (traditional) is 0404 and
chinese (simplified) is 0804

Well, as i said before, codepage 0416 is the second cp in sales for microsoft after us-en....
Fixed latest 2070 compatible build for Poertuguese(Brazilian) attached
Best for all
Edu

.zip File Attachment: Lang_Portuguese(Brazil).zip (21.27 KB)
This file has been downloaded 236 time(s).
11-17-2003 03:16 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: