What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » why do we have to post replys to gain levels

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
why do we have to post replys to gain levels
Author: Message:
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
Hmm, I'm not sure about just the elite members and up... here's another idea, slightly harder to implement but I think it would be more fair. It's basically Johnny's idea but everyone can vote, but we could have some sort of ranking system such as a newbie voting counts as 1 vote up to an admin counting as 10 votes or something. I say this because I'm not an elite member and I believe I have enough ability to vote fairly, as do a lot of other people who aren't there yet. Plus it would take a LOT of pressure off the elite+ members since there are a lot more full/senior/whatever members than elite, or whatever. Or another idea based on that: if you have a high rating from others, you get a good say in how respected others are. If you have a low rating you only count as a fraction of someone with higher ratings. I don't know PHP but I know it wouldn't be that hard to add.

Plus there is a bit more than respect involved... for example, I respect some people who don't post here often... I don't know, there are also things such as people who have 'abused the system' but whose replies are always helpful. It's the best idea we have but it's still not really foolproof.

Elaborating on the system above:
If all members started with a rating of 5 with elite+ starting higher, every vote could average out the votes people have already submitted (apart from the first one which just replaces the 5). This averaged-out result allows people to vote the equivalent of that many times. This means if people have a high respect rating people believe they are knowledgeable enough to have their votes count more than others' with low ratings.

For example, if someone out of 3 votes has a rating of 5, and someone with a rating of 5 votes them as '8', their new rating would be (3x5 + 5x8)/8 ((votes x rating  +  member's rating x new rating)/total). This would make the new rating 55/8 or 6.875. I think this is more fair because everyone gets to vote and there is less pressure, but also more respected members get a good say in what happens. Hope you understand. If not, ask me and I'll explain it again. :rolleyes:

Just a few things to think about. :P
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

08-12-2003 04:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
Johnny's idea == (Y)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
08-13-2003 04:40 AM
Hova

In Limbo

39 / Male / –
I like that idea also, but I don't think the elite members should vote. Don't get me wrong, I like the elite members, but I would think that having the admins and mods vote would slow down favouritizm (spelling? my iespell doesn't work), and give a much fairer view. This is JMO. The only thing I would wish to change in this forum is the members attitude towards "newbies". It gets kinda harsh. Sure they might not read, but they are newbies, maybe they don't know better yet. Just give them a chance.

This reminds me of the karma the zsnes.com forums had/have (I don't know now, I haven't been there in a while)

This post was edited on 08-13-2003 at 05:38 AM by Hova.
08-13-2003 05:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Johnny's idea == (Y)

you said that coz you on the "elite member up" group :refuck:

neway it's a good idea....... :P
08-13-2003 06:20 AM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Johnny's idea == (Y)

Same:)
08-13-2003 11:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Hmm, I'm not sure about just the elite members and up... here's another idea, slightly harder to implement but I think it would be more fair.

Putting myself in your place, I'd rather work my ass off to become an elite member then worry about not having a say. Your probably right, you are responsible enough to have a say, but just show how respeonisble you are and become an elite member. The title holds nothing more apart from recognision, so therfore it's impossible to have a limit, the more elite members we have, the better this place would be.
08-13-2003 12:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
how do we becoma a Elite member :-/
08-13-2003 06:02 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
but if you followed jonny's idea would you have to do so many votes, and all the admirns/mods/etc there might not be enough to take full control of the number of votes cast or if people did vote for each other, you could vote for your best friend because hes your best friend then he would vote for you and you would have high levels, but no contribution

[edit] ive realised that i have been comming from both sides of the augument and well i havent gave much help, when i thought of something new, but then prefered the other method [/edit]

This post was edited on 08-13-2003 at 06:12 PM by Stigmata.
08-13-2003 06:10 PM
Chode

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
how do we becoma a Elite member :-/

As DZ has stated.  They are chosen for their knowledge of messenger plus!,  and the amount of people they help.  They must be mature and respectful of other forum members also.

This rules you out Boo:P  jk
08-13-2003 06:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
but how can you tell if you know more about messenger plus then the next guy
08-13-2003 06:14 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »