What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Script? did I hear script?

Pages: (11): « First « 7 8 9 10 [ 11 ] Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Script? did I hear script?
Author: Message:
[white]shark

I bite back :D

RE: Script? did I hear script?
quote:
This would also create an intertial behavior (users tending to do something because they got used to) like when I click "No" to all the would-you-like-to-set-this-page-as-your-homepage dialogs in IE, but most likely answering yes to a would-you-like-to-authorize-this-script dialog because it would be overwhelming and they want to check out what all this marvelous script they got is about.

My thoughts exactly (see previous post). And yes, each virus has its antidote and vice versa, so a solution to a problem can always be overcome by another problem, but only to a possible degree.
I mean, there comes a time that only - say for example - a hacker will be able to overcome that last solution and I hardly don't think a serious hacker will be taking time off for such an opportunity.

Point is, we only have to go so far on our quest for security.

Greetz
02-10-2003 08:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alvarezp

43 / – / –
I'm glad to read the last couple of comments. My initial goal was to help Patchou with serious opinions about this and for him to have a better view on the issue before he decides. I guess it is enough for now, as Whiteshark says.

(Y) Thank you, guys. I'll feel a lot more confident about MsgPlus! scripting when it gets implemented.
02-11-2003 12:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Script? did I hear script?
As i knew i would get asleep, i only read the last paragraph :)
quote:
Originally posted by FoboldFKY
You could even provide a link to check if there's a signed version on the Plus! site...
I actually think this IS the best solution, no digital checking hell... :D

1st a user downloads or runs a script (or whatever the system for scripting will be in plus... it will be an external file??), this script makes plus check the script inside a script: provides the size, the name, the author, whatever. Then, this "msgplus.net/scripts/script.php?script=whatever&size=whatever" would check if its validated in msgplus scripts database, and if its not, warn the user that 'its not certified by the plus team. use at your own risk, only if you trust the source'. Then, run it :undecided:

i have no idea about how this can be implemented inside each script but, well... :undecided:
02-11-2003 05:05 AM
[white]shark

I bite back :D

I'm glad to see there is a lot of interest for this feature, and I think Patchou is too, especially now that he knows we support his idea (y). As for the practical issues, implementation etc...

quote:
I have no idea about how this can be implemented inside each script but, well...

I wouldn't be too hard I suppose (the site check) but it doesn't matter for the time being.

Greetz
02-11-2003 09:05 AM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
I can't wait till scripts come out and I hope they're as free as possible.  There are enough people in the Plus community who I trust when it comes to downloading Scripts.
I hope we'll be able to access Messenger settings.  I've always wanted the option to disable those toast messages (X has signed on etc.) when I'm on busy or away.  It's been a popular idea in the past and I'd love to be the one who creates it.
Over to you... what scripts would you like to see made??
02-12-2003 05:15 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Script? did I hear script?
quote:
Originally posted by [white]shark
I wouldn't be too hard I suppose (the site check) but it doesn't matter for the time being.
i meant how to be sure that any script can't assign itself the same id as another that is secure.
02-12-2003 07:10 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Maybe it's too soon to talk about it but hey, what the hell, I'm felling well today :)... when MP2.00 Beta will be public, I'll organize a contest... your goal will be to create a great script with a great feature... the best scripts will be distributed with the final version of MP2.00! well, that's all for now, see ya!

Patchou

Mp2 Beta allready released loooong time ago. If this wasn't so discussed and the site wouldn't have been down, we would've had a contest! :tongue:
02-12-2003 07:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (11): « First « 7 8 9 10 [ 11 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: