What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Script? did I hear script?

Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Script? did I hear script?
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Script? did I hear script?
Hello people!

I've done some research about scripting in MP2.00 and I've come to a conclusion. I thought it would be nice if my forum's users knew it before everybody else (400,000 users worldwide...thanks again!).

First, I planned to create my own scripting language... problem is that it would have taken a lot of time, you would have to learn it, it wouldn't be very powerful, etc... then, I found something great that I'm finally gonna use. I'll spare you the technical details but the result is this: MP2.00 will be scriptable with VBScript, the latest version available! this means that if you already know this language, you'll be able to develop in MP2.00 very quickly. If you don't, learning it is very easy and you can use your knowledge later on your web page, Office softwares, ....

Basically, MP2.00 will define events, like "MessengerStarted", "ChatStarted", "ChatEnded", "TextReceived", "TextIsBeingEntered", etc... you'll be able to attach your script to any of these events... to communicate with MP2.00, I'll define several objects, like "MainMessengerWnd", "ChatWnd", "MessengerProperties", containing methods and properties. You'll even have a "CustomProperty" object that you'll be able to use to store your own parameters and options. All these tools will allow you to do advanced stuff like creating your own dialog boxes, adding stuff in the menus, sending whatever text you want to the user, etc...

The point is that to proove the efficiency of the MP2.00 scripting feature, stuff like logging or quick text will be entirely scripted! it will give you good examples to start, you'll be able to change what you want in the built-in functions and it will allow me to test my own features.

Maybe it's too soon to talk about it but hey, what the hell, I'm felling well today :)... when MP2.00 Beta will be public, I'll organize a contest... your goal will be to create a great script with a great feature... the best scripts will be distributed with the final version of MP2.00! well, that's all for now, see ya!

Patchou

This post was edited on 03-18-2003 at 05:40 PM by Johnny_Mac.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-25-2002 08:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Wow, that sounds powerful! :D

Note to self: must learn this "VBScript" thing... :P
09-25-2002 08:30 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
Same:

Mental Note: Learn VBScript
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
09-25-2002 08:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
LOL... well, you can start as low as VBScript For Dummies, it's a good book. I'll also provide some useful links on Microsoft web site in the near future.

Anyway, if you're not stupid, and you're not right? :p, you can learn VBScript basics in an evening. Also, maybe I'll create a new forum to discuss vbscript but it's a little bit out of topic. Here is an example to encourage you... if you want to display a hello message, here is the line in vbscript to do it:

MsgBox "Hello!"

(MsgBox stands for MessageBox) ... well, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Patchou.
09-25-2002 08:51 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Anyway, if you're not stupid, and you're not right? :p
Nope. :grin: I know PHP, so VBScript shouldn't be too hard... :undecided:
quote:
MsgBox "Hello!"

Wow, that's pretty difficult... :P
09-25-2002 09:00 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
i can do perl :-P so maybe i could strech to VBScript lol:-)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
09-25-2002 09:05 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Just think... when "MP2.00" is released, we'll all be exchanging our VBScripts on the forum... :D

* WDZ is gonna try to learn VBScript tonight... :P
09-25-2002 09:13 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
allready doing it;)
09-25-2002 09:37 PM
Muss
Former Moderator

This Is The Start To A New Era

38 / Other / –
Well now I have something that makes me want to learn a language  :grin:

I'm sure it can't be too hard, did soem basic C++ shit, foudn it easy but couldn't be bothered  :grin:

And to the "your not stupid thing", wait till ChroMo posts, then you'll re-consider  :tongue:
09-26-2002 01:46 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
rotf
09-26-2002 02:07 AM
Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »