What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Script? did I hear script?

Pages: (11): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Script? did I hear script?
Author: Message:
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
Learn VB Script?
Hmmm.. Learning never ends.... that sure a fact. Have to fresh up things. Lemme get ready to start again :happy:
09-26-2002 04:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Muss
Well now I have something that makes me want to learn a language  :grin:

HEHE :rolleyes:

quote:
And to the "your not stupid thing", wait till ChroMo posts, then you'll re-consider  :tongue: 

Hey :@

----------

Well, Im gonna learn that language too :grin:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
09-27-2002 03:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Will it be pure VB Script or just Windows Scripting Host compatible (i.e. are you going to write your own compiler/runtime, or just use the one Microsoft give out with IE?). If it was Windows Scripting host then people could use JScript (a far superior language in my opinion :P) or Perl, or Python, or Ruby, or anything else that has Windows Scripting bindings, and without much work for you, certainly no extra work per extra langauge.
09-27-2002 09:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
So who did bring scripting the very first to Patchou's ears and eyes... yes... your very own Jae :P

Okokokok, won't say that again (but it's true tough ;))

VBscript sounds very nice and powerfull... and it 'll save you lot's of time, which is great too.

* Menthix starts google and begins searching for VBscript tutorials
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-27-2002 09:47 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
Yep, Jae is right.

Ginge... it's a pleasure to talk to someone that knows that kind of thing... well, as you guessed it will be Windows Scripting Host compatible... I didn't thought that there were much differences with the "normal" VBScript. Can you tell me more about it?

For the other languages... well, I know about it and I also know that there is no extra work needed by me. However...  VBScript is easy to use and I can understand it... I'm not very used to read some Perl languages and I want to keep control of things... another problem also is that if I support multiple languages, people are going to wonder why the script do not work at their home, it will be because theur version of *any language* is too old or does not exist on their computer etc....

What I'm willing to do is support VBScript and JScript.l.. what do you think? in fact, that would be very nice if you could tell me what you think is better is JScript compared to VBScript.

Thanks, like they say at Fox44, "together, we can make a difference" :p
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-27-2002 01:36 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
Man, its all going on here... and if only I didnt have that 50 page assignment to do. :@

Uhmm... I can learn php so why not VBscript. :P
09-27-2002 02:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
JScript is more powerful aswell i think but include Perl because i know that alreadyt :-P
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
09-27-2002 05:15 PM
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Windows Scripting Host (or maybe its called ActiveX scripting and is just used by the WSH, not too sure on that point) is just using the MS scripting engine, you give it the script, some bindings (COM objects) and a language ID (VBScript, JScript, ...) and then you set it off. If you were going to use the normal VBScript engine (and not write your own) then the difference should be about as profound as giving a language ID when you run the script.

VBScript and JScript are both installed by default (the only ones that are), so are a good choice to support. I think PerlScript and others should be an option for those who want that kind of thing, just make sure you don't advertise it too heavily and don't bundle any non JS/VB scripts.

I prefer JScript over VBScript because JScript has far better array/dictionary support integrated directly in, it is cross platform and a standard (EMCAScript) - you can use it in Netscape/Opera, the string manipulation methods are better, it shares all the keywords/semantics with C++ (useful for you). Also classes, memory allocation and dynamic functions were added in far earlier versions, and not all of them are present yet present in VBScript. However, they are both just as powerful, its merely my preference.
09-27-2002 05:19 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
Ok then, I'll support both... but no Perl or other, sorry.. at leat, for VBScript and JScript I can control it and install the latest version directly so I'm sure that every script work perfectly.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-27-2002 06:46 PM
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Having just looked at one of my old VB programs that offers scripting using the Microsoft Scripting thingy, it is as simple as setting object.Language = "VBScript" or similar, being that this is so couldn't you just have the first line of every script file as the script language? (Possibly sensible defaults for .vbs and .js files)

That way people could write their own add-on's in Perl, which has specific text processing advantages, and would be ideal for writing Bot's to do clever auto-responding. If you only distribute JS/VB scripts then people will be sure that all the bundled scripts work, and you can leave it to those that want to give out Perl scripts to supply links to Perl scripting engine etc.

Forum note: Where have forum email notifications gone!! :-@
09-27-2002 07:11 PM
Pages: (11): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: