What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Note about Trojan detection

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Note about Trojan detection
Author: Message:
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Note about Trojan detection
:P Don't spend your time in looking for virus/trojans/etc... in Plus! You won't find anything ;)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-11-2003 11:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
:P Don't spend your time in looking for virus/trojans/etc... in Plus! You won't find anything ;)
In Plus! no.... In the sponsor: yes... read this
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=16...d=143309#pid143309

PS: although AVG reports a trojan, this doesn't mean it is a trojan.... I just report the facts.... We had a conversation about all this the other day on IRC.... Patchou also replied on this in a few threads.... Saying that you will not find anything before checking it first yourself is like..... well I shut up again....

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I'm still conducting those tests Patchou, so far i have seen no outbound traffic from the Virtual Machine except for when it gets its DHCP lease.
Anyway, ill report back to you :)
Good to know though....

Whenever this situations is solved, I would be great to see a full report (how it's descovered, how to recreate the trojan-alert, reports on (non-)activity, replies from patchou, etc...) to redirect people to when they say there is a virus/trojan/whatever in Plus!...

This post was edited on 10-11-2003 at 12:15 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-11-2003 12:10 PM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
My Norton picks up nothing at all ^o)
10-11-2003 08:18 PM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
My Norton picks up nothing at all ^o)
neither my McAfee, i think the problem is just with AVG.... or something like that
10-11-2003 11:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mr.Str@nge!

At my WinXp-comp Norton doesn't tell me anything about a socald 'trojan'.

But at my WinME-comp Norton does. A sort of solution: disable a programm at startup: START > RUN > msconfig > Startup > And then uncheck a programm with a very strange name (several letters without any thought about the combination)
This helped me to get rid of the Norton 'virus/trojan' messages.
10-14-2003 09:55 PM
roxanneu

whew...that's a relief.  I received that message today, but nothing had changed on my machine, other than a Norton update!

Thanks,
-RMU
10-14-2003 10:25 PM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
Hmmmm  Like I'd ever believe Patchou would put a trjoan into plus
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
10-15-2003 12:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
carolinadrew

The antivirus companies will NOT be fixing this bug because well, it isn't a bug.  Although the Messenger Plus program itself is clean, the bundled adware does not get uninstalled when you uninstall Messenger Plus.  In particular, a file name wcivbovm.exe is left behind in the Application Data folder and a setup.exe is left behind in a c2media folder.  Both of these are trojans because when ran they connect to another web site and download and install programs to the computer with absolutely no interaction from the user.  Among the things my users experience are pop up ads asking to play poker, menu toolbars, and data mining utilities.  The virus companies will not change their minds about this because this is by definition a trojan.  These sponsor programs have caused major headaches here.  I've notified Mcafee and Symantec of the issues and sent documentation so that this stuff stays classified as a virus.

Also, the installation of a Trojan from within a network will not necessarily trigger a firewall alert as stated.  The firewall is predominately used to control outside connections.  I realize that Patchou may not understand the depth of this ad software but since his program installed it, he should accept some of the responsiblity for not being thorough about what his sponsor programs install.

We have decided to completely remove Messenger Plus from all systems here as a result of these problems.  Its the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen done with a piece of free software.

Drew
10-15-2003 12:37 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by carolinadrew
the bundled adware does not get uninstalled when you uninstall Messenger Plus
Did you reboot after uninstalling?
quote:
Also, the installation of a Trojan from within a network will not necessarily trigger a firewall alert as stated.  The firewall is predominately used to control outside connections.
If you configure well your firewall, it'll notify you all the suspicious connections and will report all the connections that any trojan on your PC makes.
quote:
I realize that Patchou may not understand the depth of this ad software but since his program installed it,
his program??? didn't you choose to install the sponsor?
quote:
he should accept some of the responsiblity for not being thorough about what his sponsor programs install.
You did accept to install a program (sponsor), so you should have read the license and should have agreed it. So it is not Patchou's responsiblity but yours.
quote:
We have decided to completely remove Messenger Plus from all systems here as a result of these problems.
Why? If you want to use Plus!, use it. If you don't like the sponsor, just don't install it, as you can use Plus! without it.
quote:
Its the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen done with a piece of free software.
It would be irresponsible if Plus! didn't warn you the fact that it was going to install a sponsor. But Plus! did. It showed a window asking you to install the sponsor or not and you agreed even if you didn't read and didn't want to.

Don't put the blame on Patchou and his sotfware. Sorry, it's your fault, not Patchou's.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
10-15-2003 12:54 PM
AustinM1983

40 / Male / –
i do agree but i would pefer plus without the added software ... i know you can chose not to instal the program but alot of people are very IT intolerent and thus i don't see the current solution as the best choice ... although i don't know what would be a better one ... i do understand that patchou needs the money that this software provides .... i just think it would be better if a link was added to plus every version of pluss .. in this site would be details on the program and the user could chose to instal it or not ... the program added to pluss should offer something like a animated web helper or something so plus is advertising for this program and not just giving it all plus customers that don't read when they instal programs,,,

i don't know the best solution i just hope their can be a better one than what is current ... and yes i think the current one is alot better than it could be to ...

thanx Austin

This post was edited on 10-15-2003 at 01:16 PM by AustinM1983.
[Image: me.gif]
10-15-2003 01:14 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: