What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Multi-Language - Question for Japanese, Chinese, ...

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
1 votes - 4 average   Multi-Language - Question for Japanese, Chinese, ...
Author: Message:
jw

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by ginge
WinXP is the main MS OS, and its sufficiently "good" for no one to have an excuse for sticking with 98/ME

Some of us don't have an unlimited cashflow; you cannot really expect that the entire Asian continent is going to upgrade from 98 to XP just to use Plus in their native language, surely? I would dearly love to use XP because of its stability, but have to stick as I am because I simply cannot afford it, simple as that.

How has plus been run before in Asia; with native language or straight english? Hence, could you get away with not translating it, since everyone who currently uses it must use it in english already anyway?

10-26-2002 05:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
quote:
How has plus been run before in Asia; with native language or straight english? Hence, could you get away with not translating it, since everyone who currently uses it must use it in english already anyway?
Yes, Plus! previously was English only.
10-26-2002 05:27 PM
EchoGecko

Seriously Patchou - don't you have enough problems as it is?

I wouldn't recommend anything but unicode. As ginge and jw pointed out, the only difference to users of Window 9.X would be, that they can't change the language - they will still be able to use MP.

So, to answer your question Patchou, I'd say that the work of the translators (I'm one of them) wont be wasted. Roughly half of your users probably use Windows 2K or XP anyway.
Personally I don't mind that my translating work is only used by half of the potential users i.e. users in Denmark (I don't expect that anyone else would want to change the language to Danish...).

//EchoGecko
10-26-2002 05:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
i agree EchoGecko (Y)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
10-26-2002 05:46 PM
rqi

Support 2000/XP is enought
Not many people using multi-language on windows 95/98/me. If I need use asian language, I will install the asian version windows or windows 2000/xp. I think most people will do it like this.
10-31-2002 01:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
microtan

Don't worry about this, there are some good software support displaing DBCS on english version win98/me. I know most people want to use DBCS software on english version win98/ Me will install this kind of software. for example: NJStar, MagicWin98.
10-31-2002 04:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Discsint

MSN Plus! on Japanese Windows 98
Hi, I'm using Japanese Windows 98, and for me, though a Japanese language pack would be fantastic, as long as I can chat in Japanese and Chinese (using IME) I will be very happy. And though most Japanese people can't speak English, reading it is usually not really a problem.

Having said that, Japanese and Chinese interface would be awesome. And I agree that though XP is very stable, you need a very powerful computer to be able to run it. So it's not only a matter of acquiring Windows XP, but usually also requires upgrading your PC. Which I think is a little too much to ask for being able to run MSN Plus!
I'm not like other people, I can't stand pain. It hurts me.
11-02-2002 04:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zerg

39 / Male / –
ok i am cantonese, kinda the same as chinese
so when we use this function we can type chinese in?
do we have to type chinese in kinda like njstar and richwin??
11-23-2002 04:46 AM
dudboi

35 / Male / –
hm...i am able to type chinese perfectly now in my IM windows so personally  i dont see whats the problem. Maybe you could have like the translated text turned into images and place it there...i know it will be cheating but...hey..its a solution right? :tongue:  hehe...im not quite sure what I am saying either!
11-23-2002 05:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I don't think the topic of this thread has anything to do with being able to chat in chinese/japanese. Patchou's talking about translating the text in MsgPlus itself.
11-23-2002 05:22 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: