What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Let's talk again about code sharing

Pages: (10): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
Let's talk again about code sharing
Author: Message:
ecko_complex

Stop reading my info

RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
quote:
If it is true that the code won't benefit anybody, I won't bother releasing it and that's why I'm waiting for the feedback of other developers.
Hence the idea of a DLL :D. The source of course could still tutor. I don't see why a poll wasn't made :(.
This isn't a signature.
12-19-2003 06:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
That's because a poll would be useless... it would be like asking "do you want to receive a free PlayStation II or do you prefer to get the 5,000 page how to construct your own PlayStation II yourself manual". I'm preventing exactly what you thought I was doing in the first place: giving false hopes.

As I said in my first post, a multi-function DLL would never satisfy every-one and this sollution cannot go hand-in-hand with giving source-code. As I said many times in the past before, I'm not in favor of open-source software thus, I do not wish to share the Messenger Plus! 2 source (for many many reasons who are in no way related to personal fame or money if that's what you have in head :p). I explained many times the risks involved and I'm again reminding you that this would be fatal to everyone. A DLL that anybody could use to do anything in Messenger would allow the fcreation of trojans, spy-programs, and the only result would be a new version of Messenger from Microsoft where no add-on could hook anything useful enough (beleive me, that's entirely possible technically).
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-19-2003 07:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ecko_complex

Stop reading my info

People can still reply "yes give me the source" in here though, no diffrent than in a poll - which would be more statistical and easy to get a definate answer. Also discussion can also happen on the poll from what I've seen with forums these days :).

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't feel threatened by a trojan made by someone who cannot hook MSN 6 and 'do anything with Messenger'. But of course this doesn't apply to 'beginner' users.
This isn't a signature.
12-19-2003 08:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Windy

Possibly the best suggestion yet. I think it's an inspired thought because it tempers knowledge and original thought.

However, and I can't stress this too much, if people are to create their own programs for Messenger 6 (on Xp) after learning from any released source code, it is imperative that they know how to setup the registry with the correct CLSID information. As far as I can work out, Patchou is the only one who knows how to do it and it's basically stifling Messenger 6 development. So if the man could release that information aswell I think we'd all be set for writing inovative stuff.

Good on you Patch,

Windy
12-19-2003 11:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I understand that thing about VB developers, but as you said yourself, there's nothing I can do about it.

Blah , its not that big of a deal :P Ill just use BetterMSN source :P
12-19-2003 06:19 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
Not when you've got me around Patch :)

It's nice to have your help but I can't rely on an assembly hack for critical things like hooking the windows of main-interest (and I'm convinced it would be illegal anyway)... I wouldn't continue to upgrade Plus! if I had to do that :). And about NGSCB, do not start to give idea to Microsoft, Bill is always watching... ;)

This post was edited on 12-19-2003 at 07:01 PM by Patchou.
12-19-2003 07:01 PM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
I'd beat Bill into the Ground if Plus couldnt hook :S

And i cant imagine msn ever stopping you completly as you seem to give them ideas
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
12-19-2003 07:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jnrz7

Demon Lover

– / Male / –
Hi,

Well if you release your old source code, many of us will read it for many reasons, someone trying to learn something out of it, or curiosity, etc, etc. personally I would like to see part of the code for MSN6, like how you did the "custom names" thing and the "/nick" thing :-)
so... I think releasing you old source I think would be good, so people can hook into msn, in a "safe way" like you said hehe :-)

bye
+The cuts were beautiful until they began to heal.
12-19-2003 07:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
Well, maybe you don't recall all the problems I got when Messenger 6 was released but I certainely do. To be honest, I'm now probably more afraid of MSN Messenger 7 than I am afraid of the Ultimate Weapon who's in the sand near the amusement park (if you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it).

Anyway, let's get back to the original topic, which is "Messenger Plus! 1.4 code sharing.. good or bad idea?" :).
12-19-2003 07:23 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
good, and who is in the sand?>???>?>?>?????
12-19-2003 07:28 PM
Pages: (10): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: