What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Let's talk again about code sharing

Pages: (10): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 » Last »
Let's talk again about code sharing
Author: Message:
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
I wonder If MSN is going to block anyways Of Plugins For the MSN Messenger 7..... If thats Possible all they have to do is Hide those Files that They Have For People Editting them... again if thats Possible :dodgy:
Never Hope. Always Wish.
01-01-2004 05:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
Plus! isn't an edit of the files. its an addon. it runs on top of Messenger, and "hooks" into the program. Messenger tried to block Plus! with 6.0, but patchou wourked arountd it.... :D
01-01-2004 05:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
Yes but What I am Trying to Say is:
What Happens If they Found Out To find A Way to block it For good? :(    :dodgy:
Never Hope. Always Wish.
01-01-2004 05:44 PM
bws

Well.. it seems that this topic was ment to be about CODE not a discussion about features ;)

I suggest a better plugin system..

I attached an OLD plugin system i have written a time ago in c++.. and i atached also a DOI lirary which will make it very easy for plugins (i call the mostly modules) to work with eachother, even when they havent got their .h files included and objects linked).

I`m workin` on a new version of that module framework right now though.. it`ll be much more improved.. and it will get a more ATL/MFC/WTL look and feel to use (there wont be a .lib to include anymore, but just a .dll where to link to)

.zip File Attachment: package.zip (93.91 KB)
This file has been downloaded 195 time(s).
01-01-2004 08:23 PM
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
I am a Developer as well.  I do most of my programming in VB, but I do a little bit in C/C++.  I often use C code that I find on the net to help me with my VB coding.

I think releasing the 1.42b version of Plus would be a good idea.  I my opinion even non-C programmers could learn from it.

I also do think it is a good idea to try to protect your own work.

Whatever you decide to do is definitely the right thing for you to do, because in the end, this is your code.  You are the one who has spent the many hours, days, weeks, etc. on it.

I believe I could also learn from that code.

Shaggie

P.S. No matter what you decide, I wish to say that I appreciate all that you have done for the messenger community, and programmers in general.
01-01-2004 11:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bws

But such a plugin systen would also be great.. it would enable people to make their messenger plugin using already great software :-).. (just as you use msn messenger with plus!)
01-02-2004 10:33 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Let's talk again about code sharing
[offtopic]
quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
Messenger tried to block Plus! with 6.0, but patchou wourked arountd it.... :D
Not exactly. There are some possibilities of what happened:

• The Messenger team was too lazy to make the old API compatible with 6.x versions given the new layout and controls
  • They just did it "a bit more difficult" so that newbies' plugins (no offence intended) weren't released again but they left the chance for professional programmers like Patchou to develop software for Messenger. (I'd go for this one :P)
  • the stupid programmers (sic) at Microsoft don't know how to protect their own software from advanced hooks and their intent to block Patchou didn't last long. :rolleyes:

As Patchou once said, if they wanted to block all plugins once and for all, they could. And it has nothing to do with file editing or resource hacking at all.
01-02-2004 05:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
patchou should release it....... full stop
01-02-2004 05:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
tiojoca

Although releasing the 1.42b's source would be great, I think giving more functionalities to the plugins API would still be a better option. In the end, any IM's basic functionality is to send and receive messages.  So I believe that Plus! plugins API basic functionalities should include getting and sending messages!

Of course if the Plus! source code is available to public it is always possible to implement the same hooking techniques that are implemented by Plus! but this seems very counterproductive to me. MSN messenger is always evolving and the hooking methods keep evolving with it (and even apart from it)! Whatever is developed on Plus! has to be re-implemented on the plugins resulting in a great loss of time and effort, and even on bad resource usage!

Patchou did a really great job and Plus! is the best, no doubt about it! But people will always want new specific functionalities that sometimes are not so useful to others. To add them to default Plus! installation itself would make it too heavy for unnecessary reasons, and means Patchou is left with the burden of having to implement all the new functionalities by himself.

With plugins, Patchou can still keep control of his work (doesn't even has to distribute the source code) while keeping developers and end-users happy. Every modern development paradigm is saying it: applications should be modular and encourage code-reuse. Plugins are definitely the way to go, they just need that extra basic IM power! ;) (Y)

This post was edited on 02-06-2004 at 11:48 AM by tiojoca.
02-06-2004 11:09 AM
warlander

ehh... i don't know any C... but i know some php :D

If he DOES release his code for msg plus!, it would help my php based bot...
02-10-2004 04:41 AM
Pages: (10): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: