What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Backup, a little help?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Backup, a little help?
Author: Message:
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Backup, a little help?
DV-AVI videos (few hundred meg each), captured from tapes that have been erased. :(
02-08-2004 10:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Backup, a little help?
you can use norton ghost to make an image of the drive now when you do this and expand the image it will put all files back which i doubt you wanna do
02-08-2004 11:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
Well seeing as you kinda hinted rather strongly for me to do something on this thread... ;)

I have successfully used Partition Magic (v8) on NTFS drives. The only times I've had trouble with it is when doing strange things with Linux partitions... Ended up having to format entire drive to get that sorted.

I never have these troubles because having 4 computers in the house, 180GB of hdd space inside my desktop (on 2 drives) and an 80GB external I can just throw files wherever I need them for the format...

I'm not guaranteeing that PM8 will keep your files intact, neither do the publishers as they warn you before you do anything that the hard drive could suffer nuclear meltdown.

Only problem I've ever had with hard drives was when I was defragging 6 drives (3 physical drives & 3 partitions) with Norton Speed Disk similtaneously... It killed the Master Boot Record for the main C drive. Always exciting when you have to use recovery mode or whatever it's called...
02-08-2004 11:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Backup, a little help?
quote:
Originally posted by ---+[Matty]+---
you can use norton ghost to make an image of the drive now when you do this and expand the image it will put all files back which i doubt you wanna do

Thats what I would do...We had made a backup of our laptop (ages ago) and then we needed to format the laptop.We used the image that norton ghost created and then we realised that the image was from another laptop!

Back to topic if you are planning to install Win XP(which you probably do because you have a NTFS HD) then i think that if you boot from the WIN XP disk you can spilt up the HD but im not so sure....*-)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-09-2004 02:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ---+[Matty]+---
and where will he save the image? If he could he'd saved the files :-/

About Partition Magic, I've never had problems with it. Just be sure that the version you're using / going to use supports the version of the NTFS file system you're going to manage. In other words, if you're going to install Win XP with NTFS, you'll need Partition Magic 8. Versions 7 and earlier may not work properly, because the NTFS version that Win XP uses is (a bit) different from the one used by 2000 or NT 4.

Of course you allways have to remember this:
quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
I'm not guaranteeing that PM8 will keep your files intact, neither do the publishers as they warn you before you do anything that the hard drive could suffer nuclear meltdown.
Your particular hardware configuration may not be 100% compatible with PM and thing can go wrong.

Oh! When I use PM with windows NT/2000/XP and/or NFTS partitions, I allways use it from the recovery disks. I create them, shut down and boot using them. There may be more problems if you try to use PM inside Windows because PM tells you that it has to restart and do some stuff with boot.ini and etc... and that's more dangerous.

quote:
I was defragging 6 drives (3 physical drives & 3 partitions)
3 drives and 3 partitions?? :dodgy:
quote:
with Norton Speed Disk similtaneously
very :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by Avon
think that if you boot from the WIN XP disk you can spilt up the HD but im not so sure
what you can do is delete a partition and create 2 small ones where it was originally.

Oh! one more thing. If you're going to use PM, before spliting, try to empty your hard disk all you can and then do a defrag. It's safer to do that before spliting.
And before merging again (after reinstalling) I'd do this: copy (copy, not move) the 19 Gb files to a folder of the other partition and then merge both. Then, if all goes well, you can delete one copy of the files.

Good luck ;)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
02-09-2004 02:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
do you have a dvdrw drive?  you could propably burn you stuff to dvdr and then copy it back.
02-09-2004 03:27 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
do you have a dvdrw drive?  you could propably burn you stuff to dvdr and then copy it back.
nope, other wise i would have done that .. ;) and also, that'd still mean using about 15 discs.. :(

im going to try and contact my mates dad, and ask if i can take my comp round his, network mine to his, copy all the stuff, format, and copy it all back.. :-\
02-09-2004 04:33 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
actually for 18 gigs it would be 4 dvds :)
02-09-2004 04:38 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
really? i thought dvds were 1.2gig.. ? cool :)
02-09-2004 05:21 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
well i think your in europ right? but in canada i can get 4.7 gig dvds for $7.00 cad for 2
02-09-2004 05:23 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: