What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Backup, a little help?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Backup, a little help?
Author: Message:
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Backup, a little help?
oh, cool :D
02-09-2004 05:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Backup, a little help?
quote:
Originally posted by DXtremz
Last time I used partition Magic to split my NTFS drive into 2 parts, screwed up everything. Had to reinstall windows. =(

Don't want to be negative or anything, but the same happened to me:

I (think I)  had to split a partition (it wasn't NTFS iirc, it was FAT32). When Partition Magic rebooted to finish the operation, the software crashed (after rebooting, but before entering into windows (xp)) and everything in the hard drive was lost :'(

Luckily, a friend of mine had read about a (then freeware) program which helped me recover some of the files lost (by searching the records in the hard drive, because I had to format it to make it work again).

So, I wouldn't really reccommend PM unless it's strictly necessary

Which it isn't.

Why do you need to format? Why not just delete the windows and program files folders (the root, docs and settings, etc.) from a DOS boot disk (or elsewhere since you have NTFS) and reinstall again?

I reinstall windows every once in a while and never format the HD, there's no use for that unless the hd is corrupted or something :-/ It just makes things worse...
02-09-2004 06:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Backup, a little help?
about DVDs, everywhere in the world, they can store 4.7Gb if they have one side and one layer. The two sides and/or two layers versions of DVDs can store more info (up to about 11 Gb). About the prize, a 4.7 Gb DVD-R is about 1.80 € in Spain, I think. (1 € = aprox $ 1.20 USA)

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
the software crashed (after rebooting, but before entering into windows (xp))
That's why I suggested to use the recovery disks, not doing it from Windows :P
quote:
Luckily, a friend of mine had read about a (then freeware) program which helped me recover some of the files lost (by searching the records in the hard drive, because I had to format it to make it work again).
That seems to be a very good program. (Y)
quote:
I wouldn't really reccommend PM unless it's strictly necessary
Me neither.
quote:
Why do you need to format? Why not just delete the windows and program files folders (the root, docs and settings, etc.) from a DOS boot disk (or elsewhere since you have NTFS) and reinstall again?
I also like to format instead of doing that. Formating checks for bad clusters and if you install a system from scratch you avoid fragmention (<- i don't know very well how to explain this)
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
02-09-2004 07:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well, I decided to take the gamble.. I used Partition Magic and it succesfully created a 20 GB partition.. (Y):)

Im just waiting for a copy of XP corp from a mate, then i'll format the 60 gig partition, install XP (again) then copy the files back onto the C partition, then merge the two partitions (C and V) together, and hopefully it'll all be good.. :)

Isnt it great when things work! :)

Oh, one more thing- when you merge the two partitions together it wont mess up will it? I know the actual merging could mess up, but if it doesnt, the hard disk will be fine and whole again yes? (not too sure how to explain) but basically, ill have a good, clean, working 80 GB hd?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
02-09-2004 08:45 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
you might as well leave the parttion now and save important dava there even though it will most likely bee full soon won it
02-09-2004 08:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by dom.
Oh, one more thing- when you merge the two partitions together it wont mess up will it? I know the actual merging could mess up, but if it doesnt, the hard disk will be fine and whole again yes? (not too sure how to explain) but basically, ill have a good, clean, working 80 GB hd?
after the merge, (if things go well) you'll have a folder in the 60 Gb partition (that then it'll be 80Gb) which will contain the (up to) 20Gb of the other one.

After that, move your files where you want to, and I'd suggest you to do a scandisk and a defrag. That way you'll be sure all is Ok.

Just be sure you merge the 20Gb partition into the 60Gb one; not 60 into 20... you get me, don't you? Also, you can copy the files from the 20Gb one to the 60Gb, delete the 20Gb partition and resize the 60Gb to take all the 80Gb available. However, I odn't know what would be better. I think I'd do the merge thingy ;)
quote:
Originally posted by dom.
Isnt it great when things work!
of course :banana:
now you've done the half of the work. Good luck with the other half :P
02-09-2004 09:03 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
now you've done the half of the work. Good luck with the other half :P
thanks (Y)

quote:
Just be sure you merge the 20Gb partition into the 60Gb one; not 60 into 20... you get me, don't you?
yep :)

i tested it on a smaller drive i have before i did the full 80 gb drive, when i merged back.. like you said - it made a folder on the drive, but im now unable to delete that folder.. any idea why? when i try it says:

quote:
---------------------------
Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete System Volume Information: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
OK   

after it said that, i went inside the folder, and deleted all the folders and files inside, but now i have an empty folder i cant delete. if i go into its properties it says its read only, and if i uncheck read only, and click ok.. then go back into properties its still on read only..
02-09-2004 09:16 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
and that System Volume Information folder is inside the folder that contains the partition just merged, isn't? Well, first make sure you have permisions over that folder (ont onle the standar read-only, but also the full control at the security tab). Then you should be able to delete it (it there isn't any program using it).

If still you can't, reboot and try again. Also you can disable that option that is used to make system restore points. Sorry, now I'm using Windows 2003 (in english, btw) and can't find that option (and I think 2003 has it too). It was somewhere at the system properties in XP.
02-09-2004 09:30 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
alright thanks :) ill give it a go, and let you know if it worked
02-09-2004 09:49 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
System Volume Information wasn't created by Partition Magic, it was created by Windows Xp's system restore -- to be able to delete it, disable it from My Computer properties.
quote:
quote:
the software crashed (after rebooting, but before entering into windows (xp))
That's why I suggested to use the recovery disks, not doing it from Windows :P
Too late :gfdrin:
quote:
quote:
I also like to format instead of doing that. Formating checks for bad clusters and if you install a system from scratch you avoid fragmention (<- i don't know very well how to explain this)
If you have 20gb+ of data to backup, I guess it's a better deal to defrag it manually instead of formatting *-) As for the bad clusters, if the HD works perfectly (as it usually does) I don't really care if there are 2, 3 or 50 clusters wrong :P
02-09-2004 10:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: