What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Netscape = illness?

Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
Netscape = illness?
Author: Message:
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Netscape = illness?
Yah , Opera takes up 3mb and FireFox takes up 7mb but what does it matter? If your computer has 20GB of space at its hands (which is what I have and most people have around there). There are about 1000mb in a GB so you have 20,000MB. Taking up 7 of them will not slow down your computer. I dont know.....its just a matter of preferences , depending on what you like. Firefox is my style because it has a good Download Manager that can handle my downloads neatly , has a wonderfuly organized way to veiw my history , and the endless possibilities of extintions that allow me to create my own features :)
02-29-2004 03:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

1 GB == 1024MB

I was talking about downloading. But you don't critisize my other points, sadly..

it is a matter of preferences. Agreed. But Opera is just better. If it isn't, than :argue: The only thing "better" about Mozilla is that it's free and open-source.

Opera also handles downloads neatly (it even already begins the download while you're chosing if you want to "open" it or in what folder you will save it.

Opera's history is good, though I never use it, and the Window > Closed > .... trick is very handy.

Opera doesn't need extensions, because everything's already included. My W3-dev menu is very nice, though :happy:

I don't know if it's possible to create your own features with Opera, through extensions, but I don't really see need for it anyway :-/

As I said, the only thing better about Mozilla is IMO that it's open-source and free.
02-29-2004 11:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Opera takes up to much screen space and doesnt give enough space to veiw the webpage. Firefox gives you like 8% more room to actually veiw the webpage.
02-29-2004 05:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

You mean the hotbar in Opera 7.23? Yeah, I know.. I never used it :tongue: You can easily disable it. In 7.50, this will change.

I'll install a fresh Firefox, a fresh opera 7.23 and a fresh 7.50 preview 2.. just for testing :happy:
02-29-2004 05:49 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
...[SNIPPED]...

First things first, I know the website and have read it all before...
He's just promoting Opera (his good right, but often fails to give complete information). He is not giving decent comparable info...

So...
Let's play the advocate of the devil a bit. I'm going to reply to some arguments. By doing so I will reply sometimes with sarcasm, generalizing or not completely accurate info aswell, just to show that this guy doesn't give the whole picture and is just promoting Opera by not informing his users completely...

quote:
...Very often I find that people who use Internet Explorer have gotten used to putting up with all sorts of things that they assume (incorrectly) that they cannot change...
That's not only for MSIE users... In fact, this has nothing todo with browsers... so... very stupid argument...

quote:
...They think they have to accept constant security patches...
What is he saying here? He's suggesting NOT to accept security updates??? (He proberly means, that MSIE has alot of security issues, but he should have said that then.)

quote:
...It has become increasingly popular to wrap some sort of a skin around the Internet Explorer engine and try to pass it off as a new browser....
If that is the case then it is called A SKIN, not a browser...

quote:
...The Mozilla folks claim that Mozilla Firebird (née Phoenix) is "A Lean, Mean Browsing Machine". Lean and Mean? Compared to who? But saying you are "lean and mean" compared to Internet Explorer is like saying you are in better shape than Jabba the Hutt!
Compared to other browsers of course (including Opera)... "Lean 'n mean"? Every mother thinks her child is the most beautiful thing in the world... Btw, that guy is doing just the same only not so obvious...

quote:
...Compare that to Opera's 3.3 MB - which includes a revolutionary mail program and several features only available as separate downloads in Mozilla Firebird...
Not exactly complete info... Mozilla is a suite, it includes a mailprogram also. Firebird is the standalone browser...

quote:
...Opera's ability to change skins leaves other browsers in the dust... blah blah... change buttons... blah blah... toolbars...
You can skin other browsers as well...

quote:
...The first one is large icons, the second one is small icons, and the third is a list of fields, including 18 - that's right 18 - search engine options.
Talking about "bloated"... Oh, ic, because it is Opera he's talking about, he calls it "amazing options and choices"...

quote:
...Mozilla users may recognize this as similar to Find-As-You-Type, except that Opera gives you a visual cue that a search has been initiated.
...again not complete info, Mozilla gives also a visible cue in the statusbar and it plays a short sound when something is/isn't found.

quote:
...Once you have the letters you want to search for, you can press F3...
This is almost a standard in the Windows world. I thought he was talking about the benefits of switching to Opera? Or is it a usermanual now?

quote:
...Given the importance of searching in today's web, it's hard to imagine a more practical and useful feature...
Personal I find the search functions very very very bloated and useless. I mean, if you don't know HOW to search something, you wont find it just because you have tons of search engines... And if you KNOW how to search then you don't need all that fancy stuff...

quote:
...You can assign an optional unique nickname with any page...
With Mozilla also...

quote:
...downloading files...
Personaly I don't like this and prefer the "old" way (I'm not going to give here my reasons for it as it is hard to explain, but it has todo with the fact that I want to decide when and what to download. Although it seems like something nice for 90% of the internet users.)

quote:
...Opera will re-open all the pages that were open before Opera shut down. That is a pretty amazing (and unique to Opera) feature... ...or some other page that you realizied you wanted back. But it was gone... ...Opera will re-open the last window that you closed. Nobody else has that...
ahum... "history"

quote:
...There are a lot of bad web pages out there. Want to make them better? User Style Sheets...
Again, other browsers have that aswell...

So, I know I was vague with some things, up to you to search for more :p It was just to prove the point that he doesn't compare the different browsers in a objective manner... Granted, Opera has many shortcuts and key combinations and sometimes they are handy. But most Opera features are NOT unique to Opera... Again, it comes down to GUI and what you personaly prefer. So, 1 word: "looks", not "features"... If you like Opera for its GUI then by all means, use it... If you like Opera because of its features, then I suggest to take a look at the other browsers, because they have the same features in one way or another...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-29-2004 07:22 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

hmm... more stuff for me to reply on.. I'm very busy comparing Opera 7.23, 7.50p2 and Mozilla FireFox now..

Cookie! :P
02-29-2004 07:38 PM
chungster

boo

32 / Male / Flag
shouldnt firefox be firebird and if there is a new open project they re stealing another project that was already produced
[Image: Whatyoulookinat.jpg]
02-29-2004 11:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by chungster
shouldnt firefox be firebird and if there is a new open project they re stealing another project that was already produced

they Were firebird, but theres a database called Firebird, so they changed it to firefox
02-29-2004 11:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
hmm... more stuff for me to reply on.. I'm very busy comparing Opera 7.23, 7.50p2 and Mozilla FireFox now..
Also consider Mozilla (the suite) and Netscape (both suite and standalone browser)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-01-2004 06:10 AM
user2319
Disabled Account

Okay, Okay.. but it was only about the interfaces, because NoName seems to hate the Opera interface.

* user2319 goes download more :rolleyes:

edit: if you have Mozilla 1.7 Preview, can you please tell me if there are interface changes? Thank you very much!

edit2: uhhhh.. I just downloade NS 7.1. I'll only install the 'netscape navigator' I don't need mail and instant messaging, and/or a spell checker. Or does this make a different interface?

This post was edited on 03-01-2004 at 03:32 PM by user2319.
03-01-2004 03:25 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: