What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Netscape = illness?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Netscape = illness?
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Netscape = illness?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The only extra things that comes with Netscape are the AOL things like AOL IM. But these things can be not installed or ripped of the suite. The only thing you have left is like every other browser suite: a browser, a mailclient, a composer... This is as bloated as every other suite... and while talking about bloated (I can shoot the ball back), what's up with all those useless toolbars, popup-blockers, plugins, etc... in for example Opera? Sure you can choose not to install it.... well, that's the same for Netscape....

The user interface.. it has an ugly style....well i am speaking from past experiences here, i havent used it for a while as i no longer have a need.

I agree with WDZ above, on the compliancy of pages and how they still do appear differently in each browser..
02-24-2004 06:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
martin

37 / Male / –
me still thinks Avant is the best :P
02-24-2004 06:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The user interface.. it has an ugly style....well i am speaking from past experiences here, i havent used it for a while as i no longer have a need.
ok... that's not bloated ;) ... anyway, it has changed (a long time ago) in the sense that there are skins you can create and/or download.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I agree with WDZ above, on the compliancy of pages and how they still do appear differently in each browser..
I agree too, although the differences are minor when using W3C standard. (but sometimes nevertheless a big pain in the *beep*)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-24-2004 09:12 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Having read the entire thread, I think I will throw in my 2 cents.

If you want a suite, get Netscape or Mozilla. If you want a browser only, get IE or Opera. *All* of the latest versions of them (by latest i mean up to 3 years old) are *fully* standards compliant. they all perform about the same, and thanks to Mozilla/Netscape's skinning, they can all be made to look the same too.

If you want to blame anyone for pages not rendering properly, blame web authors. Ultimately, it's them that have forced the slow uptake of standards, by not sticking to them. If you look at any of my HTML pages, you will always find this
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
at the top. I also put *every single page* through the W3C's own validator, and the pages don't get uploaded unless I get the 'Passed' result.

My pages are XHTML 1.0 Strict compliant (until GeoCities adds its fluff to the end of the file): most web pages aren't even fully HTML 3.2 compliant. No wonder they break in certain browsers!

This post was edited on 02-24-2004 at 03:33 PM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
02-24-2004 03:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

Opera is also a suite. It includes a mail thingy (M2?), and 7.50 will have simple IRC chat
02-24-2004 06:14 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I stand corrected, but my original point still holds.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
02-24-2004 06:20 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Yes, but the graphics slow down the load-up, I just liek simple browsers, no loaded down by a lot of crap, with one row for buttons, one for NAV,a nd one for my google bar!

This post was edited on 02-27-2004 at 04:52 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
02-24-2004 07:13 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

@Gigablade: Opera is better then that, because you can disable the google bar and then use the "g" paramter

example: type in the adress bar

"g netscape illness"

and you will 'google' for netscape+illness :wink:
02-27-2004 12:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
Yes, but the graphis slow down the load-up, I just liek simple browsers, no loaded down by a lot of crap, with one row for buttons, one for NAV,a nd one for my google bar!
I'm not saying you should change your browser or anything. It's your own choice, and you feel confortable with. But the arguments you use don't hold any ground.

In any standalone browser (yes, Mozzila has his own standalone browser: FireFox. And Netscape also has his standalone browser) you can set the toolbars you wish. And all the standalone browsers are roughly all the same. There is no crap in any browser. It all comes down to user interface and rendering HTML pages. So, if you say that you like the userinterface of your browser more, then I wont argue. But saying that others are crap and bloated doesn't hold any ground. Like I said, all the top-browsers have all the same functions.
examples:
* "g netscape illness" in Opera. You can do that (even without "g") with MSIE, and in Netscape/Mozilla as well.
* Google Toolbars? for every major browser there is a google toolbar...
* Toolbars in general? In every major browser you can enable/disable select/deselect and even create your own...
* Tabbed browsing? In every major browser you can do that except in MSIE (but this will be added soon)

For most browsers and suites you can download a very basic "browser only". It is up to you to download, install more functions, toolbars, plugins, etc.. etc..
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-27-2004 01:13 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Netscape isn't that good...Yeah I've only had to deal with it a few times but meh garbage speaks for itself :refuck:
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-27-2004 04:44 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: