What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Messenger Plus! 3 - news

Pages: (22): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Messenger Plus! 3 - news
Author: Message:
user503
Disabled Account

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 - news
removed

This post was edited on 07-09-2016 at 02:35 AM by user503.
02-29-2004 09:39 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
that idea back down there was good about extra stuff server based. but with that config you fire wall and add a extra program and we get a new lovely hacker on our servers....
02-29-2004 09:52 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
warreng

Don't ask.

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 - news
quote:
Originally posted by dannyres
warreng Its a good idea, but if theres one thing I really hate, is having to download a file thats 500kb, just to download somemore files!  It really pisses me off. :P...

Dan

I'd have to agree, however I still feel strongly about activating and de-activating features. Purhaps the idea could be work on a bit but i still think its a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
that idea back down there was good about extra stuff server based. but with that config you fire wall and add a extra program and we get a new lovely hacker on our servers....

I don't fully understand what you just said, speak english.
- WarrenG
02-29-2004 10:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
The installation of Plus can't rely on some files be at the server. What would happen if the server goes down? And what if the user can't connect to the Internet when s/he want to install Plus?. The best is have all inside a single exe installation file, as it's now.

About the ability of select what feature to install, I don't agree with that. People will complain saying: "hey this doesn't work for me" just because they didn't installed that feature. Remember, people install thing too fast (next, next, agree, intall), without reading and they don't remember they didn't install that.

Also, if I'm not wrong, there will be a section at msgplus.net where people would be able to download plugins.

About the scripting language. People would have to learn it, so why not learn VB (or VC)? VB is very easy and you have the templates needed to compile the pluging. Including that feature into Plus would increase its size and using that you won't be able to do everythig you can do with "real" plugings. It would provide limited features. Also, someone made a pluging that offers a similar feature: It executes vbs files. Search it. It should be somewhere.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
02-29-2004 12:13 PM
warreng

Don't ask.

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
The installation of Plus can't rely on some files be at the server.

I never said anything of the sort

quote:
People will complain saying: "hey this doesn't work for me" just because they didn't installed that feature.

I said download it through plus! so plus! would know what to do with it, how to install it, where etc. (not in so many words, but thats how i meant it)

quote:
Also, if I'm not wrong, there will be a section at msgplus.net where people would be able to download plugins.

ahha I know.

quote:
About the scripting language. ....... Including that feature into Plus would increase its size

not by much if it was a "plugin"

quote:
and using that you won't be able to do everythig you can do with "real" plugings. It would provide limited features.

I entirely disagree and even if it was true, most of the high end shit wouldn't be necessary for just a few scripts that you can do for events such as on text message, on messenger start, on window close etc.

quote:
Also, someone made a pluging that offers a similar feature: It executes vbs files. Search it. It should be somewhere.

Found it HERE

thanks Coli,

I might investigate this, but it doesn't discount the possiblity of having scripting language specifically designed for plus!

This post was edited on 02-29-2004 at 12:44 PM by warreng.
- WarrenG
02-29-2004 12:42 PM
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
By Next > Next > Agree > Install Choli menans that users will not tick what they want to install. Like they COULD tick somehwere "Install Drawing for MSN", but they dont read it, just click Next until program is installed... Than they see their friends drawing in MSN, they want too, they ask how they do it, friends say: install Plus!. Then the user will just go to forum complain that drawing feature does not work for him while it does for his frends, you know??

And bout files on server... it was King_of_cool_kids who suggested that... so i think Choli was talkin' to him...
02-29-2004 12:58 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SLim Shady
And bout files on server... it was King_of_cool_kids who suggested that... so i think Choli was talkin' to him...
I had to read 20+ posts before I replyed so I didn't remember who said that :P (i'd have quoted). Also, sometime ago that was suggested and Patchou said "no", arguing the same reasons i've said.
02-29-2004 01:07 PM
warreng

Don't ask.

40 / Male / –
ahh yeah, if coli was referring to king_of_cool_kinds, than i probably would of agreed, but he gave no effort as to say he was referring to him. :D anyways, yes i think that is a issue, thats also one of the reasons i thought that a menu to see the plugins and install/remove them would be good.

I know that patchou said when this thread first started that in version 3 the plugins menu will be update to allow for adding/removing. But just so people don't misunderstand me I think I'm requesting something that has already been said.

What I'm trying to suggest is to be able to view all the plugins, installed or not, new or old.
If a new plugin has been added on the website, than its viewable in your plus! program as an option to install.

Just going back and looking at: [Image: plugins.png]
Purhaps patchou is already way ahead of me :)

Okays I spent hours on these in paint and this is basically what i'm proposing.

[Image: plugins1.PNG]

[Image: plugins2.PNG]

Just realising that I forgot to include the creators name. So I guess theres room for improvment. But i guess this illustrates what i'm trying to portray.

This post was edited on 02-29-2004 at 02:46 PM by warreng.
- WarrenG
02-29-2004 02:37 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by warreng
What I'm trying to suggest is to be able to view all the plugins, installed or not, new or old.
I was talking about features of plus, not plugins, so I think i wasn't talking about what you said :P
quote:
[Image: plugins2.PNG]
looks nice, but Patchou shoud add a button that says: connect to the internet and look for new plugins. ie: not let plus connect by itself to the internet. people will complain: my firewall says plus is making connections to the internet and I dont like that.
quote:
Originally posted by warreng
but he gave no effort as to say he was referring to him
:blah!:
just talking about a general dialog, not quoting someone specially. ;)
02-29-2004 03:10 PM
quark

43 / – / –
Yay, I almost can't wait. I think MsgPlus! 2 is almost perfect. The only thing I think is a bit nasty now, is the organization of the menus. You have to move your mouse a lot to reach the different stuff crammed into the "Messenger Plus! Extras" menu. Not sure how this could be organized better, but you're so brilliant Patchou, that I'm sure you'll sort it out!

Another thing, kind of related to the above paragraph, is shortcut keys. A lot more functions should be available with shortcut keys, especially the "custom name" function. I've asked for this earlier, and ask again: Could it be possible to bind [F2] as a custom rename button on contacts? It's great to be able to right-click on contacts, point to "Messenger Plus! Extras" and then "Rename contact", but just marking the contact and pressing [F2] is a lot easier and more natural, as [F2] is the global renaming key in Windows.

Also, I have some problems with the bosskey feature. Sometimes it just don't work. I'm not sure if it's dependant on what program I'm in, but it seems to be just a little unstable and random. If there's anything you can do to optimize this feature, please do it. :)

Other than that; great work. I couldn't imagine an MSN Messenger client without Plus!
-= quark =-
"He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away"
02-29-2004 04:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (22): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: