What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Will's Launch MsgPlus Script

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
Author: Message:
war59312

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
Hey,

All right cool yea I'm a newbie so dont give a shit. lol

But ok cool yea if u send it to me that would be cool.

Yea I got you, still learning. I will try to do eveything you said.

Even though I don't have a clue about vbscript.

Only reason I did the installer was like u said to include the needs files. Really. So people would not have to download them and then do it.

Um same directory. um yea did not work...cause like u said...i was changing direectories...

did not think it would hurt putting in system32 but ok....i understand..security issue i guess.... ;)

thanks man,
  Will

Ok you said:

quote:

* Like any other loader/program that attemps to kill the Plus! process, it is doing this in a bad way. I mean, what if I startup 1 Messenger without your loader and 1 with your loader. What if I want Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger running at the same time. What if I use another loader like Jnrz's to load MSN Messenger. What if Msgplus is already started before you use the loader, maybe the user doesn't want you to kill plus then, etc... etc...
It isn't as easy as saying: lets start plus, then messenger, after messenger gots terminated, kill plus. The best method to detect if plus can be killed is to use polling and check if there is no instance left of msn messenger and/or windows messenger. But you can't do that with a batchfile.

Well for your first example if you startup 1 messenger without my loader and then one without then msplus will attempt to activate msplus in the first one. If the user has the option enabled: "Display recovery window when Plus! menu is not active". Maybe I should force it to be enabled by the registry when running my script thinggy.

Well not supporting Windows Messenger atm. Will worry about that later. If msgplus is already started before using my loader then you run my load it just loads msn messenger. Still only one msgplus.exe running.

It attempts to but sees that its already running so does not run another. :) Plus the pupose of my script is to do everything for u so u wont be running plus already. At least thats not why u should be using my script but it wont hurt it.

Well if u use another loader and msgplus is already running with it then nothing will happen. But if not then like I said it will try to load it.

Only because I dont kill msgplus after loading msn messenger. I personally do sicne I dont do any of that what you are talking about. So I dont need it running all the time.

Like Patchou said:

quote:

First, Plus! has a built-in mechanism to ensure it loads before Messenger. Just check the command line added in the \run key of the registry (I think it's /WinStart). When launched with this option, Plus! launches Messenger itself (using a reg key generated from the the key Messenger puts itself to auto-start with Windows) after its initialisation is complete.

As for waiting for Messenger to exit before Plus! is unloaded, you don't need too. The only purpose of msgplus.exe is to inject code in Messenger and check from time to time if Plus! is still currently enabled in memory (to display the recovery window if necessary). So basically, you can kill Plus! anytime you want after Messenger has displayed any of its windows.

And about your last comment. Like he and I just said thats fine because you dont need it to be running.

Plus the little command I use to shutdown msgplus is the correct method. It shuts it down. Does not just kill it. Like it would if u used the task manager. I was using that way before but msgplus would loose its settings if u changed something for instance and then just killed it.

That and waiting the three secs. to kill it.

So really its just fine the way it is. Besides detecting directories and stuff like u said.

Which would be great to get from you. :)

Thanks a ton man,
  Will

One more thing:

quote:

* The use of choice to wait a couple of seconds is nice (never used it that way). Although it is not failproof. If the user presses a key during the wait, choice will think that the user just pressed the wrong key and it will halt the delay and waits until the user presses the right key. In otherwords, the script will never continue...

What key to do that. lol...i just push liked every damn key on my keyboard and no problem...must of missed one or something?....plus dont think most people will be pushing keys while it loads...

See the way I use it right now is right after msgplus and then msn messenger is load msgplus is then killed...so msgplus is only running for 4secs..

Oh and see the way i have it now and the way i sent u...

it works fine with running muiltuble instances...of my script i mean...no errors and no three msgplus in memory, etc.

This post was edited on 03-01-2004 at 06:25 PM by war59312.

God Bless America
03-01-2004 05:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
war59312

39 / Male / –
See it works:

[Image: msn.JPG]

God Bless America
03-01-2004 06:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
* I know, you could kill plus right after it hooked itself...
* I know that plus detects other instances of itself...
* With "killing not the right way" I mean't you don't use "polling" or detecting if Plus! is already loaded or not. Like in the example I gave: what if a user doesn't want you to kill plus. In other words, if plus IS running before the user uses your loader, then don't kill plus with your loader. I didn't mean "just killing the process", cause you do it right. (well actualy that other program does ;)) It was bad choice of words on my part, sorry...
* Just put all the needed files in the same directory with your loader. Zip the whole bunch. No installer needed realy. Just instructions to unzip everything in the same directory.
* If you look at the VBScript code in one of those threads, you'll get a pretty good idea of how doing things with it. It's very easy. For the things you don't know: www.google.com ;) (and you don't need all those extra files with it.)
* The loader works fine as is. This means if you use it to startup Plus and MSN Messenger; so without the use of skins, other directories, windows messenger, etc...
* The thing I mean with choice is this: CHOICE.COM /CY /TY,4
execute it and press a random key, now the 4-sec delay and auto-select is disabled en choice waits until you press the right key.
* "the way I use it right now is right after msgplus and then msn messenger is load msgplus is then killed...so msgplus is only running for 4secs.. " -> ic, so I take it that you removed the "/w" parameter...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-01-2004 06:41 PM
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* I know, you could kill plus right after it hooked itself...
* I know that plus detects other instances of itself...
* With "killing not the right way" I mean't you don't use "polling" or detecting if Plus! is already loaded or not. Like in the example I gave: what if a user doesn't want you to kill plus. In other words, if plus IS running before the user uses your loader, then don't kill plus with your loader. I didn't mean "just killing the process", cause you do it right. (well actualy that other program does ;)) It was bad choice of words on my part, sorry...
* Just put all the needed files in the same directory with your loader. Zip the whole bunch. No installer needed realy. Just instructions to unzip everything in the same directory.
* If you look at the VBScript code in one of those threads, you'll get a pretty good idea of how doing things with it. It's very easy. For the things you don't know: www.google.com ;) (and you don't need all those extra files with it.)
* The loader works fine as is. This means if you use it to startup Plus and MSN Messenger; so without the use of skins, other directories, windows messenger, etc...
* The thing I mean with choice is this: CHOICE.COM /CY /TY,4
execute it and press a random key, now the 4-sec delay and auto-select is disabled en choice waits until you press the right key.
* "the way I use it right now is right after msgplus and then msn messenger is load msgplus is then killed...so msgplus is only running for 4secs.. " -> ic, so I take it that you removed the "/w" parameter...

AFAIK - the loader i made didnt have a problem with polygamy :D - it only terminated the msgplus.exe the loader itself had loaded and waited until all windows messengers and msn messengers had terminated. The only things i didnt take into account was the fact plus can be terminated immediately - no real reason to do this especially in a polygamy environment and that the names of the msn/wm executables may not be the default due to skinning etc. both of which would take 10 minutes work to have fixed. If anyone wants the source to what i made, you can have it :D
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
03-01-2004 10:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
uhh...

I think this is really a problem on patchou's end. He should make it take less memory, insead of reling on it closing when messenger does. even still, most people leave messenger running 24/7 so it not the greatest program. One of the important factors is that it relys on external programs, which can make it take up much space.

ps. patchou - make plus take less memory, or go idle or something !!!

pps. elite members are so cool (A):D
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-02-2004 12:22 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
war59312

39 / Male / –
All right thanks guys. :)

God Bless America
03-02-2004 02:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Shawnz,

1) There is no problem at all...
2) Plus! takes a VERY SMALL amount of memory...
3) Plus does idle when Messenger isn't running...

You can't judge the real memory usage of a program by looking into the Task Manager. Furthermore, Plus! doesn't use more then 128kb of memory when it is idling and something about 1Mb when Messenger is running.
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'm sorry to break your bubble (french expression) but you can't estimate the real memory that is taken by an application by checking the Task Manager... Windows is an intelligent operating system that often doesn't take the time to clean objects in memory as long as it's not necessary. As a result, an application can seem to take 20 times the memory it is really taking.

msgplus.exe doesn't do anything at all while it's running on your system, it's kept there for security reasons only. The process doesn't eats more than 128KB of real memory and has been specifically designed with memory constraints in mind (so that Plus! doesn't harm your system in any way and that you don't find excuses to remove it from the Windows startup and complain about other related problems :p).

Messenger Plus! uses a noticeable amount of memory only in the Messenger process so you'll probably never be able to do a real estimate of its usage :). Don't worry, memory optimization is one of those things I'm spending time on, even if I'm not talking about it. For what I've seen, Plus! uses around 1MB of memory in the Messenger process, which, I think, is ok as Messenger itself generally uses 15MB or more.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-02-2004 10:38 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Shawnz,

1) There is no problem at all...
2) Plus! takes a VERY SMALL amount of memory...
3) Plus does idle when Messenger isn't running...

You can't judge the real memory usage of a program by looking into the Task Manager. Furthermore, Plus! doesn't use more then 128kb of memory when it is idling and something about 1Mb when Messenger is running.

I know, programs dont run when nothing is to run, they only run a little bit at a time, etc

The reason I said this is because people were complaining about it hogging thier memory so I figured they were having problems with it, like it taking up memory making sure it is hooked or checking for events or something.

I dident notice because I have a very fast computer, maby they were on the slower end so they noticed it more... (so basiccily... I wouldent realize it on my compuer, just sticking up for these people.) sorry patchou!

This post was edited on 03-05-2004 at 11:24 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-05-2004 11:22 PM
tisazalay

51 / Male / –
Well, I love Messenger Plus!, It doesn't hog my CPU neither does it consume too much memory, but I love the fact that you can remove the process and it'll still work, so I wrote this little script, It works with a program called WinX32 (freeware), that runs scripts (no need for a dos box) although you can code the same in a .cmd or .bat but the "pause" is different...and instead of /kill you should use the taskkill command (It's on XP...)

The winx32 script works on all versions of Windows...

; Please change C:\Program Files to your program files directory...
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\MsgPlus.exe"
/sleep 3
; Three seconds is enough to let MsgPlus load...
"C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
; "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnloader.exe"
; The two lines above can be switched if you want to use the JnZloader (place the ; on the correct line)
/sleep 20
; That allows everything to load properly
/kill MsgPlu*
; That's it... winx32 is also unloaded from memory...

tisazalay
05-01-2004 02:36 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
shouldent there be a wait tag after msnmsgr.exe?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.