What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet users who download music illegally face home raids

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Internet users who download music illegally face home raids
Author: Message:
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
RE: Internet users who download music illegally face home raids
quote:
Originally posted by Banks
Isn't it just illegal to upload but prefectly legal to download? that's what i've been hearing over this whole deal.

it depends on the country. in many countries (like the US) neither is legal. its just not easy to catch a DLer...
03-11-2004 08:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stonesour

35 / Male / –
Actually some artists are now bringing the lawsuits to the record labels, because the record labels are hogging money. That includes the RIAA
only a dollar per cd roughly goes to the artist, and they do all the work. I would gladly buy cd's if it supported the artist, but for now i'll just get concert tickets...
03-11-2004 11:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Banks
Isn't it just illegal to upload but prefectly legal to download? that's what i've been hearing over this whole deal.

banks your canadian right? thats the way the system works here. we (canadians) pay a levy on recordable audio mediums and downloading for personal use is not strictly illegal.

someware ( i think it was ipodlounge) i remember seeing that like only 11 cents a song from itunes actually goes to the artists.
03-12-2004 12:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by stonesour
only a dollar per cd roughly goes to the artist, and they do all the work
The artists write songs, sing them, play their instruments, rehearse, and maybe design some art or write some text to be included with the album. They don't mix the audio, buy/burn the CDs, buy/print the labels/inserts, buy the cases, package everything, and handle distribution. They don't provide the expensive equipment needed to do that stuff either. The record company probably handles lots of the promotion too.

So I think your statement is obviously false. :p

That being said, I do appreciate the great work that artists do, but it's just wrong to say they do ALL the work. :p
03-12-2004 01:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
dz got a point but i still think they deserve more from an album sale :undecided:
03-12-2004 01:13 AM
Petros

well they arent doing ALL the work but lets face it... if the artists didnt write the songs sing them etc the record companies wouldnt have squat
03-12-2004 12:56 PM
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
oh dude, thats so gay... why dont have any rights to go into your house to look for music??? what about freedom of speech, isn't  Music is a way of speech.... and if you have that in your hosue they cant take it away from you

This is so dumb, and I probably am not makign any sence but they really have no right to do this. 
03-12-2004 07:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
The initiative is aimed at criminals who counterfeit for commercial gain as part of a multibillion-pound network. However, civil rights campaigners fear that small-scale internet file sharers will also be vulnerable to the legislation.
Firstly: commercial gain.
Secondly: small-scale internet file sharers (i.e. those who upload).

So it's not really any different from how it's ever been before. It's just been worded very slightly more threateningly.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
it depends on the country. in many countries (like the US) neither is legal. its just not easy to catch a DLer...
Hmm, both are illegal. It's not that it's not easy to catch a downloader, it's just that you'd be arresting half the planet if you caught them all. :P

Imagine going onto Kazaa with loads of perfectly legal, new-ish songs, tracing everyone who downloaded from you in an hour and sticking them in prison. You'd catch more 'criminals' than everyone else put together in a year.

This post was edited on 03-13-2004 at 04:25 PM by billywoods1.
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

03-13-2004 04:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: