What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Audio extraction without recompressing?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Audio extraction without recompressing?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Audio extraction without recompressing?
Many people can here the difference.
And I can understand Sock's wishes perfectly... I also want things as perfect as possible... (and that's why I'll create a new thread with something related to soundfiles)

Anyways... saving to a normal wav doesn't compress the audio again. (Unless you use some special filters and stuff or decreases the bitrate and such of course). Saving the uncompressed audio stream is also useless. You wouldn't have anything to play it with. It needs to be recoded (but not nessecairly recompressed) into a new codec. So, if you keep the bitrates, samplerates, etc... and you save to wav, nothing is lost... as far I can tell...

This post was edited on 04-05-2004 at 10:44 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-05-2004 10:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Audio extraction without recompressing?
quote:
Originally posted by M-Head
I know, but is the quality loss really that noticable?
Well, with a Lame-encoded MP3 at 192 KBPS it isn't that noticeable, however it's never bad to crave for the better. And again, it's not just the quality that bothers me, it's also the stupidness and wastage behind the idea of having to recompress. It bothers me fundamentally.

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
When I rip CD's to 192kbps MP3's so I can listen to them on my comp I don't notice any difference. So the quality reduction really shouldn't be anywhere near noticeable...man sock you're a perfection freak!
That's different. Audio CD data has a very large size, so compressing it is something you'd want to do. In my case, the audio is already highly compressed. Also, audio CD data is in a very high quality, so you can compress it very efficiently. When recompressing data (with lossy codecs), some quality is always lost.

Now to answer Cookish... :p

Well, you're not making much sense..... :p Let's get a few things straight:

Wave (.wav) files use PCM (Pulse-Code Modulation) to store digital audio data (audio CDs use it too). PCM is a standard digital audio representation system. This system uses no compression, so 128 KBPS at PCM sounds like total crap. :p

If I really wanted to preserve the quality at any cost, I'd have to save the audio at the standard PCM bitrate (1440 KBPS or something:p), and either leave it that way (as a .wav file) or use a lossless audio codec (such as FLAC) to recompress the data without losing any quality. Using a lossless codec would still generate a pretty big file size, since lossless codecs don't discard any data. So in both cases, I get a big file size (in my case, ~28mb on PCM and ~17mb on FLAC), which isn't very nice. :p In comparison, at the original 128 KBPS WMA compression, the audio size is only ~2.6mb.

Now let's review your post! :banana:

quote:
Anyways... saving to a normal wav doesn't compress the audio again. (Unless you use some special filters and stuff or decreases the bitrate and such of course).

True, but it generates a huge file. A lossless audio codec can help there, but it's still pretty big, as I mentioned above. :p

quote:
Saving the uncompressed audio stream is also useless. You wouldn't have anything to play it with.

When I said "uncompressed audio stream", I was referring to PCM data. So this is the same thing as above really.

quote:
It needs to be recoded (but not nessecairly recompressed) into a new codec.
The whole point of media codecs is to compress/decompress the data. There's no media codec that doesn't (de)compress. If I want it uncompressed, I can put the raw decompressed audio data in a PCM (.wav) file, which is again the same thing as above. :p

quote:
So, if you keep the bitrates, samplerates, etc... and you save to wav, nothing is lost... as far I can tell...
I can't keep the same bitrate when moving from MP3 to PCM without losing quality, as PCM has no compression. The audio in MP3 is decompressed before it can be played by the computer, so in fact every song can be represented at 1440 (?) KBPS, as PCM, at the same quality as the source.

This post was edited on 04-06-2004 at 02:16 AM by sock.
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
04-06-2004 01:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It made/makes much sense If you know what I meant and if you aren't so picky.... ok slap me for my english :refuck:

quote:
Originally posted by sock
quote:
Saving the uncompressed audio stream is also useless. You wouldn't have anything to play it with.
When I said "uncompressed audio stream", I was referring to PCM data. So this is the same thing as above.
I wasn't referring to PCM data :p

quote:
quote:
It needs to be recoded (but not nessecairly recompressed) into a new codec.
The whole point of media codecs is to compress/decompress the data. There's no media codec that doesn't (de)compress. If I want it uncompressed, I can put the raw decompressed audio data in a PCM (.wav) file, which is again the same thing as above.
Maybe I used the wrong term here, I didn't meant "codec", but "format"... It needs to be coded, but that doesn't automaticly mean it needs to be compressed. Yes, many music-formats compresses also when it is encoding. But take for example midi (I think anyways; fill in other formats here :p), no compression there, only encoding...

quote:
quote:
So, if you keep the bitrates, samplerates, etc... and you save to wav, nothing is lost... as far I can tell...
I can't keep the same bitrate when moving from MP3 to PCM without losing quality, as PCM has no compression.
ok, forget "bitrate", you know what I mean :D, don't be so picky :p

Anyways, my whole point was, you can save MP3 into WAV without losing quality (as you know). And of course this means big filesizes :p

This post was edited on 04-06-2004 at 02:15 AM by CookieRevised.
04-06-2004 02:08 AM
sock
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Audio extraction without recompressing?
Blah, you replied while I was editing my post a bit... :p

* sock won't comment on the first replies (to avoid :argue:). :p

quote:
Anyways, my whole point was, you can save MP3 into WAV without losing quality (as you know). And of course this means big filesizes :p

Oh... I know I can do that. :p But I want the original compression so I could have a small file size + same quality + no redundant processing.

But thanks anyways. :p

(I'm sorry if I'm annoying you, Cookish:p)

Anyway, I suppose I'll just re-encode it with the same codec (at a higher bitrate perhaps). I suppose that won't degrade the quality much. :-/ That is, until a better solution is found. :p

This post was edited on 04-06-2004 at 02:38 AM by sock.
04-06-2004 02:34 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
(Naaaah... :D) Anyways, I browsed the web and it is indeed hard to find... although I've found some links, but I don't know if they extract the audio instead of recoding/sampling/whatever.... anyways:
http://www.qwerks.com/product.asp?ProductID=6424
http://www.zealotsoft.net/index.htm
http://www.xvideoconverter.com/index.htm
I've found some more, but maybe you can redo the search with the terms I used: "wmv extract audio", "wmv rip", "wmv audio lossless" and some other things like that...

I also searched the "fileformat-sites" (like http://www.wotsit.org/ for example) to try and find some clue weither the audio and video stream is encoded/compressed/whatever within eachother (so it would prevent ripping the audio), but found no clue either...

This post was edited on 04-06-2004 at 03:17 AM by CookieRevised.
04-06-2004 03:15 AM
sock
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Audio extraction without recompressing?
Thanks. :) I doubt any of these actually extracts the compressed stream as-is, but I'll give them a try.

And yeah, ASF/WMV undoubtedly uses interleaving... I suppose that's what makes it difficult to demultiplex the file... :-/ But it sure is possible!
04-06-2004 03:37 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: