What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc...

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc...
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc...
About Messenger PowerPlus... Nice example of how things got around and out of hand... Does anybody know what it is? I mean, everybody talks about it as if this is made by MS and all. It isn't... PowerPlus is just another addon, just like Plus! is. It hooks into and needs MSN Messenger just like Plus!. MS has nothing todo with it, they only recommend it. And the Animated DP's (which started the whole thing) of PowerPlus is just PowerPlus' own "avatar-system" and have nothing todo with the Display Picture in MSN Messenger.

I'm sorry, but the big "newssites" should be more carefull when saying things. People will buy anything those sites say... But the sites aren't the Godly Holy Grale of information. Posters at those sites should be aware that 90% of people will believe anything they post just because they are meant to be "big newssites" and they will quote them out of context and the ball gets rolling...

Well, those people who are posting are also just common people who hear and read things from other sites. True, they know a bit more about the matter and (hopefully) do a little reasearch before posting. But put 1 word out of context and the ball gets rolling....

I know some members of this forum are posters at such "newssites", and if they feel attacked, I'm sorry, but I HATE it when there is misinformation. They should know that their posts are going to be (mis)read, (mis)interpreted, copied, put out of context, etc.... so be carefull. If it takes a banner saying: "RUMOR, SPECULATION, NOT CONFIRMED" at the top and bottom of each post, then so be it. That's far better then posting things which nobody is sure of.

This war of information is getting on my nerves... What site posted what first? Who has the best info? etc... Come on... Do you realy think I care what site posted something first? I care if the information is CORRECT, not if it is known and posted before another one could post it...

Also, post the SOURCE from were you got the info from. This is as important (even more important) then the info you post itself!!! If the source is a concurrent newssite, then good, mention it. If the info turns out to be false, you can blame the source. If the info turns out to be correct, then maybe you gave readers another approach to the news so they understand better or readers who wants to know more can look for more; You loose nothing in mentioning a source. You can loose a lot of reliability (spelling :/) if you don't....

The whole thing about Messenger 6.2, ani-DP's, internal sites, leaks, etc.. etc... are gettings out of hand if you ask me, as far as I know these are all RUMORS, SPECULATION and so on. Nothing is for sure (yet). So don't jump of the roof because someone post something like "messenger isn't going to put animated DP's in 6.2". And don't blame MS for not putting it in it... MS didn't say a thing about 6.2 yet, I can't stress that enough...

Things gotten from test-sites, internal sites and stuff are great to read, but it is just that, nothing more. There is a reason why they are "test" and "internal" sites. It's to try things out... to prepare for official things... etc... everything stated on such sites CAN be true, but by all means aren't nessecairly true...

there

I realy needed to spawn this out right now....

This post was edited on 04-07-2004 at 07:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-06-2004 02:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc...
woooww :O Clam down, cookie :P ....

I didn't hear anything about powerplus... I'll do a search to see what's that :P
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-06-2004 03:40 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
:o
i really thought that powerplus was a MS program...
Then Cookie is right :chrongue:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
04-06-2004 03:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
I think you are right Cookie people dont have a right to complain if MS Never said they would, even though you might think it wish they had.

Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
04-06-2004 04:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
I heard about Powerplus before and knew it was an addon like Plus!, but you're right about how most people believe everything they read on non-official sites.
There are e-mails going around which say that if you send it forward x-times you'll receive msn messenger 7 or another one wich says you'll receive animated emoticons you can use in msn messenger. You can't imagine how many people actually send it forward :undecided:, it's getting ridiculous.
04-06-2004 05:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bra1nwash

THE GAMEFREAK!

35 / Other / –
yep i also received fake hotmail n MSN emails...how annoying!:@
Visit the homepage of CNC Generals, the OWNAGE game!!!
[Image: zerohour_thumb.jpg]
[Image: b2.gif]
sch juz started..
04-07-2004 01:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I agree. Pepole today will belive any thing and every thing. If you told them if they stuck a knife throught there hand a majical moose will apper and tell you something good they would do it. *You will have to excuse my lame and stupid example but it just goes to show you how stupid people are.

Like when you get a chain letter or chain message on msn. People belive them. O comon you really belive a little girl will come in your room at knight and kill you. BULL!

I like to go by this little saying latly.

The world is falling appart. It's only getting worse; Never better.

So do you agree with that? Well it seems that way. Just take a look around. Listen to the News. Look at the people your with most of the time and see how and what they are doing. If you spend enough time a day just seeing what other people do and how they act. You will be surprised.

I'm soory if this is totaly off topic but it needs to be talked about.
And I'm soory if I afended any of you but its the truth.

This post was edited on 04-07-2004 at 01:41 AM by DJeX.
[Image: top.gif]
04-07-2004 01:39 AM
stonesour

35 / Male / –
Slashdot
Accurate information? *cough*Slashdot*cough*

Which reminds me...I'll have to get my mp3! article for slashdot ready :P
04-07-2004 01:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
lol :P Well you'd be surprised at what ppl will believe. For isntance, this april fools episode of Red vs. Blue ppl though was real...it's even "28.5" instead of "29" :P

http://files.redvsblue.com/2x28_5/RvB_Episode28_5_LoRes.zip
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
04-07-2004 01:54 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc...
well, I was actually talking about newssites, not about (bad) april fool's jokes or chainletters, that's something different and beside my point... But these are indeed examples of how people will believe anything...

My rant was about that posters at newssites should be reconsider/reread their articles before posting them to make sure nothing can be put out of context, that the info is CORRECT, etc... and if they are spreading not-confirmed newsitems (like Messenger 6.2) that they make it VERY CLEAR that all the "news" is just speculation and isn't confirmed! And if it is possible, that they update their articles if things seem to be not true, or more info is available (or post updates, that's always possible)...

I was also talking about the "war" between newssites to get the biggest and fastest headline, despite the lack of CORRECT information....

This post was edited on 04-07-2004 at 08:19 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-07-2004 08:15 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: