What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Will my plan work?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Will my plan work?
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Will my plan work?
quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
I don't quite know what's taking up 7GB though, it's mostly school work and things.

:dodgy:

Make sure u dnt drop ur HDD, they break really easily. U cud use a DVD writer
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
04-20-2004 08:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Will my plan work?
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
I don't quite know what's taking up 7GB though, it's mostly school work and things.

:dodgy:

Make sure u dnt drop ur HDD, they break really easily. U cud use a DVD writer

I don't even plan on removing to drive, just disconnecting the power and IDE cables.  I could use a DVD burner...except it's in the other computer and like I said, I don't fancy transfering all that data over the LAN. :p
04-20-2004 08:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
quote:
My alternative would be to move all the files I need to keep over the LAN to the other computer, but there are approximately 3-4 GB worth of data and I don't fancy waiting three and a half hours for the files to be moved if possible.
If you can do this i would put the really Key essential files you want to save and really desperatlyu cant afford to loose like accounts detailss of an coursework i dont know but i would do that. The really crucial i would put there just incase :)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
04-20-2004 09:20 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I've heard that you really don't need to re-format your computer. Since all the problems are with the system files you really only need to re-install windows and overwrite the old windows files. But I don't know.
04-20-2004 09:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
I've heard that you really don't need to re-format your computer. Since all the problems are with the system files you really only need to re-install windows and overwrite the old windows files. But I don't know.
i wouldn't do that... A format and a clean installation is always better than any upgrade.

btw, about the fat32 partiotion: if you aren't gonna use it in windows 9x/Me, i'd suggest you to convert that partition to ntfs (after you've restored the files)
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-20-2004 09:58 PM
red3vil

The dutch in a rush.

– / Male / –
instead of install windows all the time, why don't make an image of a clean install with some basic's driver, office, painshop bla bla bla, the next time you f*ck up your pc you'll be done within minutes :D  then when you're done you allso don't have to download all window's upgrades, saves time :)

quote:
Originally posted by Choli

btw, about the fat32 partiotion: if you aren't gonna use it in windows 9x/Me, i'd suggest you to convert that partition to ntfs (after you've restored the files)

yep, i would
RedWhiteBlue
      pride
04-20-2004 10:18 PM
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by red3vil
quote:

yep, i would

I'd like to actually, but my Windows XP version is the upgrade, so I have to install Windows 98 before I can upgrade.

I've reinstalled everything now, and for once I thought it may have gone well for a change, untill...

"According to our records, the maximum number of times Windows XP can be activated using this product key has been exceeded.  Please call customer support for a new key."

How fantastic. :'(

This post was edited on 04-20-2004 at 10:30 PM by musicalmidget.
04-20-2004 10:28 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
I'd like to actually, but my Windows XP version is the upgrade, so I have to install Windows 98 before I can upgrade.
no need to do that. you can do a clean install and it'll ask you for a windows 98/nt/2000 cd. you put it, the installation recognices it and continues. I also do that.
quote:
"According to our records, the maximum number of times Windows XP can be activated using this product key has been exceeded.  Please call customer support for a new key."

How fantastic
/somg :O
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-20-2004 10:38 PM
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
no need to do that. you can do a clean install and it'll ask you for a windows 98/nt/2000 cd. you put it, the installation recognices it and continues. I also do that.

:o

I didn't know that.

Blah! :p

quote:
quote:

How fantastic
/somg :O

Yeah. :-/
04-20-2004 10:44 PM
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

38 / Male / Flag
It shouldn't take too long to transfer 7GB of data over a network with Fast Ethernet (100MBPS)... that's what I did here when I had to format my HDD.

But if you have another HDD on the same PC with enough free space, that's undoubtedly the better solution... :)

7GB is nothing nowadays, really... You can get to that size even without audio/video, which are the main space hogs I think.
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
04-21-2004 03:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: