What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Will my plan work?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Will my plan work?
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Will my plan work?
You can always convert the drive too NTFS when your finished :P#

Theres a convert command just use windows help to get the right syntax
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-21-2004 10:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Will my plan work?
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
You can always convert the drive too NTFS when your finished :P#

Theres a convert command just use windows help to get the right syntax

Lol, I never even thought to look for this...I'll look into it when I get chance.

I've just come racing home in my free lessons to phone microsoft about the activation error, and it's stangely activated itself without a problem now...I don't quite understand why, but at least it gets me out of a phone call. :p

quote:
Originally posted by sock
But if you have another HDD on the same PC with enough free space, that's undoubtedly the better solution... :)

Now that I've done this myself I know that you're correct.  I have instantly got all my important data back, within ten minutes of reinstalling Windows.  I'm quite happy that things have worked relatively well this time... :p

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really do appreciate it. :)

This post was edited on 04-21-2004 at 11:10 AM by musicalmidget.
04-21-2004 11:08 AM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
I've just come racing home in my free lessons to phone microsoft about the activation error, and it's stangely activated itself without a problem now...I don't quite understand why, but at least it gets me out of a phone call.

Never knew win XP had activation :refuck:  Well my version doesnt anyways.  Converts a cool command I use it quite often when I fix friends computers :P
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-21-2004 11:16 AM
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Will my plan work?
Oh brilliant.  First time a reinatall goes well, and now it seems I've got the blaster virus.  Well, I can't be certain, but I seem to have all the symptons.  :'(

Blah, this is the story of my life. :-/

This post was edited on 04-22-2004 at 01:32 PM by musicalmidget.
04-22-2004 01:26 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

I've had to copy all my crap over the network (~20gb) twice now, in the past month.. First because i planned a reinstall of everything, and just the other day because something happened to a windows system file and the rerstore point nor windows repair would fix it..

I make a list of all software i have installed too so i know what i have to install..

By saying you have the Blaster worm, is your computer shutting itself down randomly? http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....blaster.worm.html

Otherwise install an AV (or use an online scanner) to detect exactly what it is..

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Never knew win XP had activation   Well my version doesnt anyways.
You must have a corporate release then, it doesnt have product activation and uses VLK's (Volume License Keys). They are usually given out to big business, government departments etc.. Wonder how you got a copy :rolleyes:
04-22-2004 01:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
I've got the blaster virus.  Well, I can't be certain, but I seem to have all the symptons
you should have enabled WinXP firewall before the first connection to the Internet and then update your windows. Then you can disable it... Anyway, follow Chris' advice ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
You must have a corporate release then, it doesnt have product activation and uses VLK's (Volume License Keys). They are usually given out to big business, government departments etc.. Wonder how you got a copy
:mipdodgy:

This post was edited on 04-22-2004 at 02:04 PM by Choli.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-22-2004 02:02 PM
tomfletcherman

34 / Male / –
My dad formatted teh drive with all my music on it, and formatting the first drive wouldn't work without the second drive connected :s
04-22-2004 07:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Will my plan work?
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
I've heard that you really don't need to re-format your computer. Since all the problems are with the system files you really only need to re-install windows and overwrite the old windows files. But I don't know.
Blah, I hate people who format hard drives... why!?!?

* Guido breaks the mouse while banging it on the table.

Just deltree windows, program files, docs and settings (though you might want to backup My Documents), the root files and everything you don't want to keep and install windows, there you have, clean, fresh install, with no backupping in CDs...

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
My dad formatted teh drive with all my music on it, and formatting the first drive wouldn't work without the second drive connected :s
err...

two options:
a) you want to format the HD from windows, and either you disconnected the windows drive or are trying to format the windows drive (none will work :P)
b) they are actually the same drive, just two partitions.
04-22-2004 07:23 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Blah, I hate people who format hard drives... why!?!?

* Guido breaks the mouse while banging it on the table.

Just deltree windows, program files, docs and settings (though you might want to backup My Documents), the root files and everything you don't want to keep and install windows, there you have, clean, fresh install, with no backupping in CDs...
that keeps the fragmentation on the disk. imo, it's better to format the disk (a quick format is ok). This way, the files of Windows (that usually don't change) are placed all together without fragmentation at the begining of the disk and then you can install programs and create documents ("personal files") that use to change their size and so fragment the drive (A)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-22-2004 07:59 PM
tomfletcherman

34 / Male / –
Actually I have two drives, we did it ages ago, just sharing my horrible borrible experience with you all:P I'm pretty sure he pessed format D: instead of C: but when I disconnected D so it couldn't happen again, nothing really wanted to work how we wanted
04-22-2004 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: