What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Average Range of a Wireless Router?

Average Range of a Wireless Router?
Author: Message:
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Tongue  Average Range of a Wireless Router?
Today, I unhooked my wireless router because it was being flaky and decided to go straight from the modem to the computer, which always helps, it just disallows my mom to get on her computer. I had done this at about midnight last night so I could download a few E3 videos and didn't want to lose my connection.

Anyway, my mom didn't know I unhooked it, and when she woke up before me, she could get on the internet on her computer. I'm 100% sure my router is unhooked, and I took my laptop to the other end of the house to see if it could get on the internet, and it could.

So the only solution I could come up with is that I was running off someone elses router, but is there really enough range tp reach from house to house? Keep in mind that both houses have sideyards about 15 feet wide.
05-25-2004 06:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Varish

36 / Male / –
RE: Average Range of a Wireless Router?
A general rule of thumb in home networking says that 802.11b and 802.11g WAPs and routers support a range of up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors.  :D
[Image: sig.png]
05-25-2004 06:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Average Range of a Wireless Router?
Hmm.. no way the houses are that close, wonder where the signal was coming from :S. The ISPs were different, so who knows...

This post was edited on 05-25-2004 at 06:46 AM by ddunk.
05-25-2004 06:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: Average Range of a Wireless Router?
probably someone who lives close to you (other side of the road?). Check what network you're using. Connect your Wireless router, and then you'll probably be able to choose between multiple networks on your laptop. What you could do is use an utility which tells you the strength of your network (it can be done with 'ZyDas', which was included with my Edimax wireless router), and walk a few meters to one side. Then check again for the strength. That way, you can find out where the wireless network is coming from. Oh, btw, you got free internet access now :P And if you found out who it was, you can tell them you'll secure their network with WEP for a few $$$ :P
05-25-2004 06:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: