What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » The Best Web Browers?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Poll: What is the best web browser?
Internet Explorer
MSIE
Msn Explorer
Opera
Netscape
Mozilla
Firefox
AOL
Any Mac's  Browser's( I dunno what they are)
Avant Browser
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Best Web Browers?
Author: Message:
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
RE: The Best Web Browers?
Mozilla....

1. Plugins. I don't know how many plugins I have but it's definately a large number.

2. Tabbed Browsing. I know that a lot of other programs do this but Mozilla does it best with Tab Groups and bookmarking groups of tabs.

3. Sidebar. Customizable sidebar with Bookmarks, Search, What is Related, History, RSS Feeds, and more.

4. Plugin finder. One of the most over looked features. Mozilla features a plugin finder, giving you the exact location of a plugin needed to view certain components of a website.

5. E-mail program integration. Mozilla features its own POP3 client with integration into Mozilla. If you like a different client or one that uses a different format, you can get a plugin to intercept clicks and use an associated program to open them.

6. HTML editor. You like the layout of a website? Stealing just got easier with the Composer in Mozilla. I stole the layout of Microsoft's webpage and am currently redoing it for my own personal gains. Muhahahahahaha!

7. Address Book. Found something you want to share with your friend? Look up his number and e-mail address with Mozilla's Address Book.

8. Chatzilla :drool: By far one of the best features of Mozilla. I use it to get all of my Messenger Plus! news and support. Not to mention to get my :spam: addiction.

9. Download manager. While IE only lets you have 4 or 5 downloads at once. Mozilla lets you use all of your bandwidth to download files.

10. Password manager. Mozilla will remeber and autofill your passwords according to website. If you have more than one password, it will ask you. And don't worry about privacy, it's encrypted by a 128 bit AES encryption system.

By far Mozilla is the best browser. I tried Firefox, but it didn't have the support for Mozilla plugins that I liked. I absolutely DISPISE IE for its security holes.

This post was edited on 05-31-2004 at 01:21 AM by Concord Dawn.
[Image: 7.png]
05-31-2004 01:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: The Best Web Browers?
Just a thought,Firefox has tabbed  browsing ;-)
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
05-31-2004 01:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
2. Tabbed Browsing. I know that a lot of other programs do this but Mozilla does it best with Tab Groups and bookmarking groups of tabs.

Yes. I mentioned that.
[Image: 7.png]
05-31-2004 01:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

point 2, 4, 9, 10: there are also other browsers that have that. (and you can set the amount of downloads in MSIE)
point 3: every browser has something like that
point 5, 6, 7: other browsers suits have that also.

If you wanna know details then search the forums for all the other threads about those "features" (or the net for that matter) ....

----slithly offtopic----
So you see, saying why you use a browser by listing features of it is useless and says nothing these days. All browsers have in general the same functionalities and features. If you wanna say why you like a browser, then simply say that.

Saying that you like the way that browser X integrates a certain feature more then another browser is understandable. But don't simple say "because it has this or that feature" because almost all other brosers will have that same feature....

It simply goes down to what user interface you like the most and you're the most comfortable with, nothing more...

So stop these REALY STUPID browser-wars and posting with lists of features and discussions about my browser has this and that and your browser doesn't....

This post was edited on 05-31-2004 at 03:33 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2004 02:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
What a party blower...We don't want a war..We are discussing what we like and thats what we do in this thread....So, not tryin to be rude in anyway shape or form, honestly if you don't like the thread then please don't post that you dont like it..
05-31-2004 02:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
----slithly offtopic----
Reread the thread... it isn't simply "I like browser X". If it was just that, then this thread would be very short and without all the "browser X sucks", "browser X has this and that", etc...

I'm pointing out that everybody likes the browser he's using, otherwise he isn't using it. And the reason why someone likes it is because they like how it looks and feels. If you like a browser just because it has some "feature", then the chances are the all other brosers have the same feature. So instead maybe then you should say "I like browser X, but I don't know a thing about other browsers".

I don't have anything against such polls, but as some already pointed out, these things ALWAYS turn into browser-wars.

And quite frankly, I think that there are not so many people who can give a TRUE objective view of what the "best" browser is. Neither can I because I never used Opera for example (although I know most of the features that Opera has). And that's why you will NEVER see me giving a list with "I like my browser because it has this or that feature". Because I simply don't know what ALL the other browsers have as features or more importantly how they are implemented...

The only thing I can do is tell other people that there are other browsers which have just the same functions...

If this thread was about "list all the features that your browser has" then I would've reacted in a whole different way.

So yes, I'm getting tired of these browser-war threads (and this is one).

This post was edited on 05-31-2004 at 03:34 AM by CookieRevised.
05-31-2004 02:58 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
1. this isn't going to become a brower war just couse you think it will
2. How you know it will become a browser war
And 3. Your just trying to get this thread closed aintcha?
05-31-2004 03:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
----offtopic----
1. It already started from the 10th post or so (and no, not just because you said "the war has begun" to make a joke, but because of the posts that followed)
2. experience... every single other thread about such a thing has turned into one... (although some more then the other)
3. I would lie if I said "no"...

but if nobody would have replied to my first post in this thread I wouldn't had replied with offtopic posts like this again. Although I still would've read the thread and when it realy got out of hand I would've reported it. My first post was more to prevent futur posts like "my browsers has this", "my browsers has it also", "didn't you know that browser x has it also", "browser y sux", "you should use browser y", etc... etc...

IMHO (and speaking in general): discuss all you want about browsers in TechTalk, but only if you can give facts, or if you have questions about a browser or something. All other talk about what do you like etc.. is chitchat...
IMHO: the poll should be at the most in "General ChitChat" and the discussion in "T&T"....

Well, I know I'm very negative in this, but that's just me in this case.

This post was edited on 05-31-2004 at 03:35 AM by CookieRevised.
05-31-2004 03:16 AM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
probably cos u had been using firefox for longer, so there was more stuff in the cache.
i test browsers fairly, removing cache completely before hand.
quote:
I have to say that i find opera is the best, simply because im the kind of guy that likes having everything intergrated into one thing
thats what i hate, having loads of things i dont use.

Firefox uses plugins so if u dont want a feature, u dont need to install it and potentially increase loading time.
quote:
its still a smaller file size.
lol? to download Opera with Java its 15mb or so. Yes without java its about 4mb, but who can live without Java nowadays? :p
05-31-2004 03:23 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Yes without java its about 4mb, but who can live without Java nowadays? :p
If you install it with java once, you don't have to download java again.

BTW, I can live without java. :s I can't think of the last time I needed it... :p

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
thats what i hate, having loads of things i dont use.
IMO, Opera doesn't have many useless features... it's no more bloated than other average programs. You can disable things you don't use, and hide the toolbar buttons for them. It takes like 3 seconds to start up here, and that's with lots of cookies/cache/history, and other programs running. Using it is fast as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Firefox uses plugins so if u dont want a feature, u dont need to install it and potentially increase loading time.
Hmm... are they official plug-ins, supported by the Mozilla developers? If they're 3rd-party, that could be quite dodgy... in some cases they would be buggy or wouldn't integrate properly. I imagine you have to keep track of the versions of all your plug-ins too, and update them manually? :dodgy:

Note: I have never tried Mozilla, so I cannot say that Opera is better than it. I am simply defending the browser that I have used for several years with great satisfaction. :banana:
05-31-2004 05:23 AM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: